Man who jumped bail in '81 arrested at clinic Murder suspect was undergoing kidney dialysis.


A Baltimore man who jumped bail more than 10 years ago after being charged with killing a New York drug dealer by pumping six bullets into him was arrested by the FBI yesterday as he underwent kidney dialysis at a clinic in the Seton Industrial Park.

Milton Anthony Barksdale, 37, is accused of the Dec. 18, 1981, contract murder of Freddie Lee Dixon, 22, described by police as a heroin dealer from New York trying to establish himself in Baltimore's Murphy Homes high-rise public housing project.

Mr. Barksdale, who needs dialysis treatment three times a week, was arrested during treatment at a dialysis center on Mount Hope Drive in northwest Baltimore.

Police said he was using his real name there, possibly because he is due for a kidney operation in April and could not use a pseudonym if doctors were to compile a medical history.

Homicide detectives said Mr. Barksdale was a contract killer who was ordered by the organization then controlling Murphy Homes drug trafficking to kill Mr. Dixon because he was moving in on the organization's territory. Mr. Barksdale followed Mr. Dixon into a sandwich shop in the 1500 block of Pennsylvania Ave. and allegedly shot him once in the head after the victim ordered a sub.

Mr. Dixon fell to the floor and five more bullets were pumped into his face in a circular pattern, detectives said.

Mr. Barksdale was arrested at his girlfriend's house a week later and charged in the slaying. When detectives learned he was placed on $50,000 bail, they rushed to court and were able to have the bond revoked. But by that time, Mr. Barksdale already had posted the bail and fled.

Homicide detectives learned two years later that he was in the northern New Jersey area, and the FBI issued a federal unlawful flight warrant for his arrest.

The FBI recently learned that Mr. Barksdale had developed kidney trouble and was receiving treatment in the Baltimore area, said Special Agent Andrew S. Manning, an FBI spokesman. "We contacted every place in the city he may have been going for treatment, we left photographs with all of them and eventually one of them contacted us," Mr. Manning said. "Until we got this information from this particular clinic, we had no idea where he was."

Mr. Barksdale was turned over to Baltimore police. The dialysis treatments will continue while he is in custody, Mr. Manning said.

Detectives said the Barksdale family was heavily involved in the Murphy Homes drug trade. At least two of Mr. Barksdale's brothers were members of an organization that controlled the drug trade in the Murphy Homes high-rise in the early 1980s, they said. In 1982, his brother, Nathan Barksdale, allegedly murdered the head of the organization and took control himself, which he retained until he was convicted of torturing several people in 1984.

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad