D. J. Camper Jr., gymnastics coach for city schools
Services for Douglass James Camper Jr., retired chairman of the athletic department at Baltimore's Garrison Junior High School and a coach who specialized in gymnastics, will be held at 10 a.m. tomorrow at Mount Zion United Methodist Church, Liberty Heights and Wabash avenues.
Mr. Camper, 65, died Sunday of cancer at the Veterans Hospital on Loch Raven Boulevard.
The Powhatan Avenue resident retired in 1988 after 32 years at Garrison, Pimlico Junior High School and Lemmel Junior High School. He was a volunteer assistant football and basketball coach at Forest Park High School before and after his retirement.
He developed a gymnastics program at Lemmel and a youth gymnastics program at the Druid Hill Avenue YMCA. Participants included 16 Central Atlantic individual champions in meets with YMCA gymnasts from nearby states.
In an Amateur Athletic Union Junior Olympics program, he coached six South Atlantic all-around champions and two regional champions. His own son, Derrick, competed nationally.
Mr. Camper chaired the South Atlantic Association's gymnastics and trampoline committee.
In the late 1960s, he was superintendent for the Model Cities program of the Operation Champ program at the Lombard Junior High School.
Born in Philadelphia but reared in Baltimore, he was a 1945 graduate of Douglass High School, where he won letters as a member of the wrestling, track, badminton and swimming teams.
He served in the Navy at the end of World War II and again as a medical corpsman during the Korean War.
Between the periods of military service, he graduated as a health, physical education and recreation major from West Virginia State College, where he was a member of Kappa Alpha Psi fraternity. He did graduate work at New York University.
Before becoming a teacher, he worked as a medical technician at Lutheran Hospital and Provident Hospital.
He is survived by his wife, the former Ann Nicholson; five sons, Derrick, Michael, Sean, and Douglass J. Camper III, all of Baltimore, and Anthony Camper of New York City; a daughter, Renee McDonald of Woodstock; a sister, Cynthia Harvey of Baltimore; a foster sister, Gloria Bruce of New York City; and four grandchildren.
Carroll H. Boteler
Worked for Bendix
Graveside services for Carroll H. Boteler, who worked for the Bendix Radio Division for nearly 20 years before retiring there about 12 years ago, will be held at 10:30 a.m. tomorrow at Woodlawn Cemetery, 2130 Woodlawn Drive.
Mr. Boteler, who had lived in Rodgers Forge for many years, died Sunday at the Charlotte Hall Veterans Home of complications from cancer.
The Baltimore native and Forest Park High School graduate served in the Army's 5th Armored Division in Europe during World War II.
He was a member of the Liberty Post of the American Legion and did volunteer work at the Loch Raven Veterans Hospital.
A graduate of the Morgan Watchmakers School, he made and fixed watches and clocks as a hobby.
He was a member of the Rodgers Forge United Methodist Church and the Sharon Lodge of the Masons.
His wife, the former Evelyn G. Newman, died in 1986.
He is survived by a half sister, Effie Jones of Wye Mills; and cousins, nieces and nephews.
William G. Street
A Mass of Christian burial for William G. Street, who retired in 1981 after 10 years as a National Bureau of Standards engineer, will be offered at 10 a.m. tomorrow at the Roman Catholic Church of the Nativity, 1800 Vista Lane, Timonium.
Mr. Street, 74, died Tuesday of cancer at his home on Wingate Road in Timonium.
He was retired from the Technical Analysis Division of the bureau's Institute for Applied Technology in Gaithersburg.
Earlier, he had been a Washington representative for the Bell Aerospace Co. and Martin Marietta Corp. He began working at Martin's in 1939 as a flight test engineer. He remained with the company until 1943, returning to it between 1945 and 1950 and again between 1953 and 1967.
From 1943 to 1945 he was a chief flight test engineer for the Consolidated Aircraft Corp. in San Diego, and from 1950 to 1953 he was project chairman in the Operations Research Office of the Johns Hopkins University. He was involved in studies of Army guided missile programs and as a member of a field team that studied the close air support of Army ground operations in Korea.
He had been honored by the United Nations for his Korean War contributions.
The native of the District of Columbia earned an aeronautical engineering degree at the Catholic University of America in 1938 and did wind tunnel research for a year for the National Advisory Committee on Aeronautics.
He was an associate fellow of the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics and a member of the Operations Research Society of America.
He is survived by his wife, the former Stella Malewski; three daughters, Kathryn L. Eisenhardt of Castine, Maine, Karen E. Street of Fort Lauderdale, Fla., and Kimberly Street Lennon of Tucson, Ariz.; two sons, W. David Street of Annapolis and Thomas G. Street of Houston; a brother, Lloyd J. Street of Fripp Island, N.C.; and nine grandchildren.
The family suggested memorial contributions to the St. Joseph Hospital Home Hospice Care program.
Notre Dame librarian
A Mass of Christian burial for Sister Mary Mildred Kane, S.S.N.D., retired lower-school librarian at the Notre Dame Preparatory School, will be offered at 10 a.m. tomorrow in the chapel of Villa Assumpta, the mother house of the School Sisters of Notre Dame at 6401 N. Charles St.
Sister Mildred, 81, died Tuesday of heart failure at St. Joseph Hospital. She had lived at Villa Assumpta since 1984.
She retired in 1982. She taught eighth grade for a year before becoming the lower school's librarian. In 1968 and 1969, she taught at the Cathedral School.
Earlier teaching assignments in the Baltimore area, generally for the seventh or eighth grades, included St. Joseph's Passionist Monastery, 1966 to 1968; St. Wenceslaus', 1962 to 1966; St. Jerome's, 1941 to 1950, and St. Ambrose's, 1938 to 1940. She also taught at St. Mary's in Annapolis from 1954 to 1958.
Outside Maryland, she had taught in Malden, Mass.; Saratoga Springs, N.Y.; Camden, N.J.; Fort Lee, N.J.; Miramar, Puerto Rico, and Cambridge, Mass.
The Baltimore native was a graduate of St. Brigid's School and the Institute of Notre Dame. She earned a degree in education at the College of Notre Dame of Maryland and a master's degree in library science at Villanova University.
She entered the religious order in 1928.
Her survivors include several nieces and nephews.
Michael J. McIntosh
Michael J. McIntosh, a retired quality-control technician for the Locke Insulator Co. and an ordained deacon at Shiloh Baptist Church in Edgemere, died Jan. 28 of leukemia at University Medical Center.
Deacon McIntosh, who was 39 and lived in Edgewood, retired last April because of illness after working at the insulator company for about eight years.
Earlier, he had worked for the Bethlehem Steel Corp. in Sparrows Point, where he checked shipments.
Born in Baltimore, he was a 1970 graduate of City College. He studied business administration at Morgan State University for three years before enlisting in the Navy. He left active duty as a hospital corpsman in 1977, but remained in the Naval Reserve until 1987.
He worshiped at Calvary Baptist Church, Wayland Baptist Church and Ebenezer Baptist Church before becoming active at Shiloh Baptist Church. He attended the Baltimore School of the Bible before his ordination last Dec. 6.
Deacon McIntosh is survived by his wife of more than 11 years, the former Carmelita Denise Davis; a son, Michael J. McIntosh II of Edgewood; his mother and stepfather, Bernice and Eugene Morgan of Baltimore; two sisters, Michelle Ringgold of Essex and Kim McIntosh of Westminster; a stepsister, Alicia Morgan of Baltimore; a stepbrother, Robert Hord Jr.; his mother-in-law and father-in-law, Marie and Enoch Davis of Baltimore; four brothers-in-law, Samuel, Ronald and Wayne Davis, and Milton Ringgold, all of Baltimore; and two sisters-in-law, Sharon and Terri Davis, both of Baltimore.
Services for Deacon McIntosh were held Feb. 1 at the Wayland Baptist Church.
Goldie E. Hutchison
Goldie E. Hutchison, a retired nurse in the obstetrics and gynecology clinic at the Johns Hopkins Hospital, died Jan. 21 at the Francis Scott Key Medical Center of heart and respiratory illness. She was 76.
Miss Hutchison, who lived for many years in the downtown area of Baltimore, retired in 1981.
Her duties at Hopkins included private duty with infants who had the "blue baby" operation, which had been developed at the hospital. She also nursed in the children's section of the Union Memorial Hospital.
A native of the Eastern Shore, Miss Hutchison graduated in 1934 from Cordova High School. She took a course at Eudowood Sanitarium before completing her training as a registered nurse at Union Memorial.
After her retirement, she was a library volunteer at the Unity Center of Christianity at Charles and 29th streets, where a memorial service was held Feb. 8.
She is survived by four sisters, Stella B. Johnston of Sykesville, Lillian H. Chabinak of Towson, Marie C. Walter of Parkville and Leona Mae Hutchison of Mitchellville, and two brothers, Homer D. Hutchison of Parkville and Holton M. Hutchison of Perry Hall.
The family suggested memorial contributions to Alzheimer's research at the Johns Hopkins Hospital.