Early bird tickets for Baltimore’s BEST party on sale now!

BREATH OF HOPE At 51, Princess Anne man has new lung and new lease on life


Before he became Maryland's first single-lung transplant recipient on Feb. 7, Gordon S. West could barely get up from his desk and walk to the copy machine.

Emphysema had left him short of breath, even with the portable oxygen supply he used 24 hours a day.

Mr. West, 51, said that on his last golf outing 3 1/2 months ago he wound up in a sand trap.

"I got the golf ball out, but I couldn't get myself out. I knew I was in trouble then," said Mr. West.

New surgical techniques have reversed a pattern of failures that had made single-lung transplants less common than the more complicated double-lung and combined heart-lung transplants.

Yesterday, just 17 days after his 3 1/2 -hour surgery at University of Maryland Hospital in Baltimore, Mr. West grinned broadly as he climbed up and down a set of auditorium steps unassisted and without oxygen. His recovery means the hospital will make the procedure more widely available.

"It's a whole new life for me, almost a miracle when I think back on it," he said just before checking out and going home to Princess Anne.

His surgeons said Mr. West now enjoys 85 percent of his normal lung function, up from 30 percent before surgery.

He will continue to be monitored for signs that his body may be rejecting the lung, and he will take anti-rejection drugs the rest of his life.

He plans to return to work Monday as a collector for the General Motors Acceptance Corp. in Salisbury, and his doctors expect him to be back on the golf links by summer.

Had his emphysema been allowed to continue destroying his lungs, "he was going to be dead in a year, and he might not have lasted that long," said Dr. Joseph S. McLaughlin, director of cardiothoracic surgery at University Hospital.

Now, said Dr. John C. Laschinger, director of thoracic transplants, Mr. West stands a 90 percent chance of surviving his first post-operative year, and a 70 percent chance of surviving four to five years.

"He has a good chance of enjoying an excellent quality of life, and for a prolonged survival as well," said Dr. Lewis J. Rubin, director of pulmonary medicine.

Mr. West was a two-pack-a-day smoker for 20 years, and didn't quit smoking until 14 months ago. Heredity may also have played a role; his father died of emphysema at the age of 41.

U.S. surgeons have performed almost 190 lung transplants of all types. About 650 people are on lists awaiting single-lung surgery -- seven of them in Maryland, doctors said. The surgery is available at 45 centers worldwide at an average cost of $125,000 to $150,000. It is covered by Medicare and Medicaid.

Single-lung transplants are simpler for surgeons and easier on patients than are double-lung or combined heart-lung transplants. They also make the donor's second lung and heart available to other desperately ill patients.

But surgeons avoided single-lung transplants for year because of high failure rates. Dr. Laschinger said the airway joining the recipient's brochial tube to that of the donated lung repeatedly failed to heal because of poor blood supply.

In a newly designed technique that is more successful, Dr. Laschinger said, surgeons overlap, or "telescope," the two airways. The surgeons then cover the suture with adjoining tissues that carry a stable blood supply.

Doctors said the single-lung surgery should offer hope to patients with emphysema, pulmonary fibrosis, primary pulmonary hypertension and some congenital heart disease. It cannot replace double-lung surgery in cases of cystic fibrosis or lung cancer, where the remaining diseased lung might spread infection or cancer to the donated organ.

Mr. West's left lung was donated by the family of a young Baltimore man who died from a severe head injury.

Most of Mr. West's lung function is now being carried by his donated lung, which can carry the entire load if necessary, Dr. Rubin said. His right lung, which is "far less" diseased than was his left, will deteriorate, but at a "tolerable rate."

The emphysema had also tripled the blood pressure in Mr. West's lungs, placing a severe strain on his heart, Dr. Rubin said. But the pressure returned to normal during surgery, and any damage to his heart "should be completely reversible."

First diagnosed three years after he left Vietnam, where he served with the Marine Corps, Mr. West's emphysema slowly destroyed the tiny air sacs in his lungs. In the past year, his condition worsened rapidly.

By the time he checked into the hospital 2 1/2 weeks ago, "I could just barely walk 15 to 20 feet," he said. After surgery, he felt "really super," with no pain.

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad