FOR PET LOVERS, the next few weeks offer many shows worth attending.
* Enjoy a gathering of some special canines Sunday in Westminster when the Chesapeake Siberian Husky Club Inc. holds a breed and obedience match for Siberians, as well as an eye and tattoo clinic for all breeds. All events begin at 9 a.m. at the Carroll County Agricultural Center on Smith Avenue.
Barbara Foard, a club member for 18 years, has entered Khan, a 20-month-old Siberian husky which she and her husband bred in their Chyah Kennels in Parkton. "We do very limited breeding, only every six years or so when we want a huskie," she says. They have trained 14 Siberians in obedience as companion dogs, CD, and several others as companion dogs excellent, CDX.
Khan was entered in his first show last Sunday at the Maryland Kennel Club show in Baltimore. "He didn't get a win, but he had a grand time," says Mrs. Foard. "Most dogs love being in competition. But if they do not enjoy it, they should not be entered."
Entry fees for the match range from $2 to $5. Admission to spectators is free. Food will be available. For match details, call Lorraine F. Reuck, (410) 768-3639.
The eye and tattoo clinic will run until 3 p.m. Veterinarian Lionel Rubin will examine eyes for inherited eye problems, injuries or causes for abnormal behavior. Diane Johnson will tattoo animals. The eye exam is $13 plus $2 for a certificate; tattoos are $13. Some breed information is necessary for this clinic. For details, call (410) 768-3639.
* The Central Maryland Lhasa Apso Fanciers group will hold its 12th sanctioned breed and obedience match from 9 a.m. to late afternoon Sunday at Glyndon Elementary School, Glyndon Drive in Reisterstown. Entry is $6 per dog and $3 for additional entries of same dog. Spectators are free. Call Beverly Drake, (410) 592-6636, for details.
* The Carroll Kennel Club Inc. is holding a two-day indoor sanctioned obedience and breed match from 8 a.m. to late afternoon Feb. 29 and March 1 in the Carroll County Agriculture Center, Smith Avenue in Westminster. Entry is $5 per dog and $3 for additional entries of same dog. For details, call Lynne Beard at (410) 876-3219 between 6 and 9 p.m.
* The Chesapeake Cat Club has set a Feb. 29 deadline for entries to its 29th CFA all-breed cat show March 14 and 15 at State Fairgrounds in Timonium. Entry fee is $35 for purebreds and $24 for household pet cats. Call Ron Swanson, entry clerk, at (410) 683-1901 days and (410) 771-4880 evenings, or call Madeleine Beck, (410) 821-8127.
* Dog Owners Training Club of Maryland Inc. will hold its 55th obedience trials from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. March 15 in the 4-H building at State Fairgrounds in Timonium.