Early bird tickets for Baltimore’s BEST party on sale now!



"I just remember thinking I didn't want to get shot in the head," said county police Officer Greg W. "RoboCop" Overstreet, recalling the time he was shot twice in the chest.

Thanks to his bulletproof vest, Overstreet walked away from the shooting last July in Pioneer Citywith nothing more than a couple of bruises. Alive and well and stillassigned to the Pioneer City beat, the officer watched as a 20-year-old Prince George's County man pleaded guilty to assault with intent to murder yesterday in county Circuit Court.

Michael Keith Scott faces up to 50 years in prison at his sentencing, set for April 24.

Prosecutor Gerald K. Anders said, "I'm going to ask for a severe sentence. This drug-related violence, especially when it's directed at police officers, has got to stop."

On the one hand, Overstreet says he hopes Michael Keith Scott gets extra time for shooting at a police officer.

On the other hand, the 27-year-old officer says he doesn't take the shooting personally. "I don't have any hard feelings. I guess you sort of expect them, drug dealers,to act in a violent way," he said.

Anders described to the court the events surrounding the July 26, 1991, shooting.

He said Overstreet was in uniform around midnight in the 1800 block of Arwell Court, a "high drug-use area."

Overstreet, who had made more than 100 drug arrests in the three years he had been assigned to the area, was checking a report of an armed drug dealer in the neighborhood when hecrept along a tree line, approaching two men on a playground. While one man fled, the officer grabbed the other by the arm and two bags of suspected crack cocaine fell to the ground, Anders said.

When the officer leaned down to pick up the bags, the man pushed him and took off running. Overstreet eventually ran down the man and tackled him, and during the ensuing struggle the man pointed a revolver at the officer's face, the prosecutor said. The officer forced the man to lower the gun, which fired twice, striking the officer in the center of the chest and the right side of the chest.

Overstreet fired several shots at the fleeing man before returning to Arwell Court, where back-up units had arrived. An arriving officer found Overstreet "in a state of shock" with two .22-caliber slugs lodged in his fiberglass bulletproof vest, Anders said.

After the hearing, Anders said residents told police a Prince George's County man known as "Flavor" was responsible for the shooting. "Flavor," who turned out to be Scott, wasknown to Prince George's County police. Scott was quickly arrested and Overstreet, who said he had previously arrested the man on drug charges, identified him as the shooter, the prosecutor said.

Anders said Scott, of Palmer Park, commuted to Pioneer City by taxicab to sell drugs. He also said Scott changed his story about the shooting, first telling police he thought the person chasing him was a drug dealer and only later found out it was Overstreet. But Anders said Scott told a fellow inmate at the detention center that he knew he shot at "RoboCop."

"This is significant," Anders said. "Everyone in PioneerCity knows Officer Overstreet by that nickname."

Defense attorneyPamela North said Scott denies having the conversation with the fellow inmate.

Overstreet said many Pioneer City residents, especiallythe children, know him only as RoboCop. He said he acquired the nickname several years ago after he brazenly walked into a Laurel crack house.

"They said, 'What do you think you are, RoboCop? You can't get hurt? '"

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad