Driver, 14, is killed in car wreck after chase Boy at the wheel of stolen car is among 6 to die on roads.

State Police said six people, including a 14-year-old Baltimore boy who was driving a stolen car that crashed during a high-speed police chase, died in traffic accidents over the weekend.

State Police at the Westminster barracks said a 1990 Buick that was stolen Saturday in Randallstown was being pursued by several troopers on westbound Md. 140 about 11:30 p.m. Saturday when the driver lost control of the vehicle and crashed into an Exxon advertising sign at Md. 140 and Cranberry Road near the Cranberry Mall.


The pursuit began when a trooper spotted the vehicle going 70 mph in a 45-mph zone on Md. 140 in Finksburg, police said.

The car was demolished, and the driver, Anthony Tyrone Anderson, of the 3400 block of Dupont Ave. in northwest Baltimore, was killed instantly, police said.


Another teen-ager in the car, whom police declined to identify, was injured and flown by a Medevac helicopter to the Maryland Shock Trauma Center in Baltimore, where he was listed today in critical condition, police said. Criminal charges against the youth were pending his release from the hospital, police said.

Police said the Buick ran at least one traffic light during the chase that reached speeds in excess of 100 mph.

Four of the weekend's fatalities, two of whom were children, occurred in a three-car accident Saturday in St. Mary's County, police said.

About 2:30 p.m. Saturday, Kelvin D. Yorkshire, 29, of Lexington Park, was driving a Buick Skylark westbound on Md. 234 in Mechanicsville about 2:30 p.m. Saturday when he ran into the back of a 1977 Cadillac driven by Michael J. Morlatt, 36, of Mechanicsville, said Sgt. James Raley of the St. Mary's County Sheriff's Department.

Sergeant Raley said the impact drove the Cadillac into the eastbound lane, where it crashed head-on into a 1986 Ford Escort driven by David W. Johnson, 40, also of Mechanicsville, and occupied by four passengers.

The occupants of Mr. Johnson's car who died were identified by Sergeant Raley as Mitzie Lee Johnson, 23; her son, Wayne D. Johnson, 2; and James A. Morton, 3, all of Mechanicsville.

William D. Johnson, 6 months, was taken to the Children's Hospital National Medical Center in Washington and was listed today in critical condition, Sergeant Raley said. Mr. Johnson was taken to the MedStar trauma unit at Washington Hospital Center, where he was listed today in critical condition.

The relationship of David Johnson and Mitzie Johnson was not immediately known.


Mr. Yorkshire was taken to Prince George's General Hospital, where he died four hours later, Sergeant Raley said.

Sergeant Raley said speed, driver error and the use of alcohol on the part of Mr. Yorkshire contributed to the crash. He said the odor of alcohol was detected on Mr. Yorkshire's breath.

Baltimore County police said John Arthur Oyan, 39, of the 3400 block of Winterberry Court, was killed shortly after 2 a.m. Saturday when the car he was driving west on Tufton Avenue near Reisterstown Road failed to negotiate a curve at Mantua Mill Road and crashed into a stone wall.

Mr. Oyan was pronounced dead at the scene. Police said speed and driver error contributed to the crash.

State Police at Pikesville said the fatalities brought to 45 the number of people killed on Maryland roadways so far this year. The number of highway deaths at this time last year was not available.