Eugene Stanley dies; was chief of college...


Eugene Stanley dies; was chief of college evaluation

Services for Eugene Stanley, retired director of a state higher education division that evaluated colleges and programs, will be held at 6 p.m. tomorrow at the Christian Center on the campus of Morgan State University.

Mr. Stanley, 75, who died Friday of hepatitis at his home in Morgan Park, had been assistant academic dean.

He retired in 1980 after 13 years with the Division of Institutional Approval and Evaluation for the State Board for Higher Education. He dealt with the issue of designating Morgan a university rather than a college.

Mr. Stanley had been a consultant to colleges and was active in the Collegiate Division of the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools.

He was on the Morgan faculty from 1950 to 1967. He was an assistant professor of education in charge of the student teaching program and acting chairman of the department before being named assistant dean.

The native of Rome, Ga., who was reared in Troy, Ohio, began his academic career after working as program director of the YMCA in Columbus, Ohio. He was dean of Savannah State College in Georgia for two years and earlier was an assistant professor and dean of men at North Carolina Agricultural and Technical College.

Mr. Stanley was a graduate of Wilberforce University in Xenia, Ohio, where he was a member of the tennis and track teams. He earned a master's degree and did further graduate work at Ohio State University.

He was active in the civil rights movement and advised Morgan students protesting segregation through restaurant sit-ins and in other demonstrations.

He worked with the National Chapter of the Congress of Racial Equality, was a life member of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People and was a member of the Urban League.

His survivors include two sons, Robert Stanley of Washington and Dr. William Stanley of Freehold, N.J.; and two granddaughters.

The family suggested memorial contributions to the Eugene Stanley Memorial Fund of the Morgan State University Foundation.

Services for Thomas Ramsay Taylor, retired advertising manager for the USF&G; Corp., will be held at 3 p.m. today at Trinity Episcopal Church, 120 Allegheny Ave., Towson.

Mr. Taylor, who was 70 and lived in the Westminster House Apartments, died Tuesday of cancer at the Loch Raven Veterans Hospital.

He retired about 15 years ago from the insurance company with which he had been associated since the late 1940s.

He was a retired lieutenant colonel in the Marine Corps Reserve, having served with the Marines during World War II in the Pacific, where he was wounded and awarded the Purple Heart.

Born in Charlotte, N.C., and reared in Richmond, Va., and Baltimore, he was a graduate of City College and Washington and Lee University.

A lay reader at Trinity Episcopal Church, he was a member of the Sons of the American Revolution and the Virginians of Maryland.

His marriage to the former Barclay Gish ended in divorce.

He is survived by a daughter, Laura Barclay Pawlak of Parkton; a son, Thomas Ramsay Taylor Jr. of Severna Park; two brothers, John Fulton Taylor of Rodgers Forge and B. Conway Taylor Jr. of Stevensville; and a grandson.

Mary Louise Barnes

Former city resident

Services for Mary Louise Barnes, a former resident of Baltimore, will be held at noon today at the Nutter Funeral Home, 2501 Gwynns Falls Parkway.

Mrs. Barnes, 56, died Thursday of cancer at a hospital in Charlottesville, Va., where she had lived for 10 years.

The former Mary Louise Gordon was born in Lumberton, N.C. She moved to Baltimore as a child and graduated from Douglass High School. She also attended Morgan State University and Utica College in Utica, N.Y.

As a resident of Utica, Mrs. Barnes worked in the public library and in school libraries there in the late 1950s.

She is survived by her husband, Warren H. Barnes, a retired electrical engineer for General Electric Co.; a son, Ronald Gordon Barnes of Baltimore; a daughter, Cynthia Marie Barnes of Baltimore; four brothers, Joseph H., Kemper L., James A. and Rudolph Gordon, all of Baltimore; and six sisters, Margaret Gordon and Hester Hall, both of Newark, N.J., and Edith Gordon, Catherine Griffin, Delores Hobbs and Lenora Knox, all of Baltimore.

Elmyra Prettyman

Easton volunteer

Services for Elmyra P. Prettyman, who was active in the Ladies Auxiliary of the Easton Volunteer Fire Department, will be held at 11 a.m. today at the Newnam Funeral Home in Easton.

Mrs. Prettyman died Monday of respiratory failure at a hospital in Lewes, Del. The Easton resident was 77.

Her husband of 60 years, Robert Davidson Prettyman, a retired postal worker and automobile salesman, died last June. Mrs. Prettyman had assisted him in the operation of a small truck and poultry farm for a number of years.

The former Elmyra Porter was a native of McDaniel and a graduate of the St. Michaels High School.

She is survived by two daughters, Reanie Stinson of Preston and Bobbi Lednum of Fenwick Island, Del.; three brothers, Victor S. and Wilbur L. Porter, both of Baltimore, and Dick Porter of Clayton, Del.; and five grandchildren.

Charles H. Stuart

Plant superintendent

Charles H. Stuart, retired plant superintendent for Associated Printers Inc., died Dec. 24 at a hospital in Ormond Beach, Fla., after a heart attack. He was 74.

He moved from Timonium to Ormond Beach in 1990 after his retirement.

The native of Urbanna, Va., was reared in Baltimore and attended the University of Maryland.

Mr. Stuart was a member of the Litho Club and St. George's Society.

He is survived by his wife, the former Sarah Foard, and two nephews, Paul Ramey of Norfolk, Va., and Anthony Ostroski of Kingsville.

A memorial service for Mr. Stuart was held Dec. 30 at the Haigh-Black Funeral Home in Ormond Beach. The family suggested memorial donations to the American Heart Association.

Mary I. Stephens

Hopkins official

Graveside services for Mary I. Stephens, retired associate director of the Office of Government Affairs at the Johns Hopkins University, will be held at 10:30 a.m. today at the Glenwood Cemetery in Washington.

Dr. Stephens, who lived in the Village of Cross Keys, died Saturday of cancer at the Joseph Richey Hospice. She was 63.

She held the Hopkins position for 12 years before her retirement in 1990. She also had been director of the Freshman Writing Program at the Peabody Conservatory.

Dr. Stephens was adjunct professor of English and executive director of the Interdepartmental Faculty Development Program at Brown University from 1972 to 1978.

From 1957 to 1972, she was on the faculty of the Drexel Institute of Technology in Philadelphia, where she became professor of English,chaired the Department of Language and Literature and served as the first director of the Humanities-Technology


Born in Washington, she was a 1950 graduate of Wilson College in Chambersburg, Pa., where later she was a member of the board.

Dr. Stephens earned both a master's degree and her doctorate in English at the University of Pennsylvania and was elected to the Phi Beta Kappa and Phi Kappa Phi honor societies.

There were no close surviving relatives.

Friends suggested memorial contributions to the Mary I. Stephens Fund at Wilson College.

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad