Oscar E. Bonny, author, lecturer, dies at...


Oscar E. Bonny, author, lecturer, dies at 81

A memorial meeting for Oscar E. Bonny, an author and lecturer who was a Congregationalist minister before becoming executive secretary of Baltimore's Homewood Friends Meeting, will be held at 2 p.m. tomorrow at the Meeting House, 3107 N. Charles St.

Mr. Bonny died Wednesday of cancer at his home on 31st Street. He was 81.

He had been Homewood's executive secretary from 1968 until his retirement in 1975. He helped establish the Homewood Day Care Center. He was a longtime supporter of the American Friends Service Committee. He also was active in civil rights, ecology, world population issues and counseling for Vietnam War resisters.

Mr. Bonny started Action in Maturity, an organization for the elderly in North Baltimore.

Mr. Bonny's autobiography, "At Home in the Universe," was published by Icarus Books in 1990. It told of his birth in Poland, where his father was a German Baptist minister, and the family's exile to Siberia at the hands of the Russians during World War I.

In 1920, the family fled famine in Siberia and lived in Ukraine, where his father served another church until 1926. But the family fled persecution again, first to Latvia, then to England and finally to Canada.

Functionally illiterate when he reached Canada, he was accepted upon applying a second time to the German Baptist Seminary in Rochester, N.Y. He graduated with honors and was awarded a bachelor of divinity degree in 1937.

In 1939, he earned a bachelor of arts degree at Sioux Falls College in South Dakota and was ordained as a Baptist minister.

In 1943, Mr. Bonny received a master's degree from Oberlin College and joined the Congregationalist Church -- now the United Church of Christ. He ministered at Congregationalist churches in Cleveland and in Kansas at Anthony, Kansas City and Topeka before moving to Baltimore.

He is survived by his wife, the former Jane East; two sons, Erich Bonny of Eldersburg and Francis Bonny of Teaneck, N.J.; a daughter, Beatrice Starrett of Cleveland; four brothers, Erwin Bonikowsky of Guelph, Ontario, William Bonney of Vermillion, Alberta, Arthur Bonikowsky of Medley, Alberta, and Benno Bonney of Leroy, Saskatchewan; four sisters, Alma Pedde of Kelowna, British Columbia, Helen Kupp of Regina, Saskatchewan, Agnes Clark of Craven, Saskatchewan, and Agnes McLellen of Ear Falls, Ontario; and seven grandchildren.


Arthur H. Shapiro

Paper company president

Arthur H. Shapiro, retired president of the Maryland Cup Corp. and its West Coast subsidiary, died Saturday after an apparent heart attack at his home in Los Angeles. He was 81.

Mr. Shapiro was president of Maryland Cup from 1960, shortly before stock in the family company was offered to the public, until his retirement in 1977. He had headed the Los Angeles subsidiary since 1945.

He remained a member of the board of the corporation, which produced ice cream cones, matches, paper and plastic cups, straws, various containers and other products, many of them under the Sweetheart trade name, until 1983, when it was merged with the Fort Howard Corp.

Mr. Shapiro was born in Baltimore. He was educated at City College and the Johns Hopkins University. Before moving to the West Coast, he lived in Chicago, where his father headed a subsidiary of the Maryland-based family business.

Mr. Shapiro helped establish the low-vision clinic of the Wilmer Eye Institute at the Johns Hopkins Hospital and had been a benefactor of hospitals and clinics in the Los Angeles area as well as the Jewish Community Federation and Temple Emanuel there.

He is survived by his wife, the former Bernice Dagan; a son, Frederick Shapiro of Malibu, Calif.; a daughter, Arlette Mosher of Los Angeles; a brother, Henry Shapiro of Chicago; a sister, Inda Pariser of Palm Beach, Fla.; and a granddaughter.

Services for Mr. Shapiro were held Monday in the chapel of Hillside Memorial Park in Los Angeles.

Dr. Martha Schipper


Services for Dr. Martha Taylor Schipper, a pediatrician who was Frederick County's health officer from 1977 to 1987, will be held at 11 a.m. tomorrow at the Keeney and Basford Funeral Home in Frederick.

Dr. Schipper, 69, died Wednesday of cancer at Frederick Memorial Hospital.

After her retirement as head of the county's Health Department, she continued to serve as a consultant in pediatrics. She lived on her family's farm in Urbana.

From 1956 to 1961 and again from 1975 to 1977, she worked in school health services of the Montgomery County Health Department.

Dr. Schipper first joined the Frederick County department in 1963 and was involved in several programs for children there before becoming head of the department.

The former Martha Taylor was born in Altoona, Pa. She graduated in 1944 from Smith College, where she was elected to Phi Beta Kappa.

After her 1947 graduation from the Johns Hopkins medical school, she was an intern at Hopkins Hospital and a resident at Children's Hospital in Philadelphia. Later, she earned a master's degree in public health from the University of California at Berkeley.

In 1954, she was certified by the American College of Pediatrics, of which she was a fellow.

The first woman to serve as president of the Frederick County Medical Society, Dr. Schipper also was a member of the Medical and Chirurgical Faculty of Maryland, American Academy of Pediatrics, American Public Health Association and American School Health Association.

She was a founder of the Frederick Woman Physicians Group, on the boards of Frederick Memorial Hospital and First Bank of Frederick and president of the Frederick County Heart Association.

Her survivors are her husband, Dr. Gerald J. Schipper, a retired dermatologist; two sons, Dr. Gerritt J. Schipper and Martin Paul Schipper, both of Frederick; two daughters, Suzanne Schipper-Quinn and Anita Schipper-Caplan, also of Frederick; a brother, Samuel Paul Taylor of White Plains, N.Y., and seven grandchildren.

The family suggested memorial contributions to the Development Fund of Frederick Memorial Hospital or to the Hospice of Frederick County.

Walter W. Pearthree

Bolton Hill artist, actor

Walter W. Pearthree, a retired advertising artist who also had a career on the stage in community theater and summer stock, died Monday of pneumonia at the Manor Care Rossville Nursing and Rehabilitation Center. He was 74.

A longtime resident of Bolton Hill, Mr. Pearthree retired 20 years ago as art director for the S. A. Levyne Co., with which he was associated for 30 years. The Advertising Club of Baltimore honored him for his art work.

Born in York, Pa., he was a 1942 graduate of the Maryland Institute College of Art, where he won a fellowship to study painting in Europe. World War II was raging in Europe, however, and Mr. Pearthree went to work as a draftsman at the Glenn L. Martin Co., now Martin Marietta Corp.

In 1942, he began appearing in productions of the Vagabond Players, and his appearances with that local theater group continued until 1977.

He had roles in summer theater productions in Duxbury, Mass., in the 1940s and took many character parts at Baltimore's Center Stage in the 1970s.

He also appeared with Theater Hopkins and the Spotlighters and at the old Ford's Theater as Captain Hook in a Baltimore Actors Theater production of Peter Pan.

His wife, the former Verna Harvey, died in 1982.

He is survived by two sons, Jonathan G. Pearthree of California and Todd H. Pearthree of Towson, and a daughter, Pippa L. Pearthree Riginus of New York City.

Arrangements for a memorial service were incomplete. The family suggested memorial contributions to the Vagabond Players.

Sarah Baum

Active in civic affairs

A memorial service for Sarah Baum, who had been active in many civic endeavors in Maryland, will be held at 2 p.m. today in Friendship Hall at the Ginger Cove Life Care Community in Annapolis where she and her husband had lived since 1988.

Mrs. Baum died there of cancer Jan. 16. She was 82.

The former Sarah Chase was a 1931 graduate of Hood College and lived in Catonsville until her marriage in 1936 to C. Philemon Baum, known as Clete.

They lived in Washington for three years, then moved to Bethesda where Mrs. Baum was a member of the Women's Guild and the Annual Bazaar committee at Westmoreland Congregational United Church of Christ; a volunteer in the library at Radnor Elementary School; a member of parent-teacher groups and a Cub Scouts and Campfire Girls leader. She was a fund-raiser for the Red Cross, the Republican Party and the American Heart Association.

The Baums had a summer home in Port Republic since 1965 and Mrs. Baum was active in the Scientist's Cliffs Association.

She was a member of the Major Gifts Club of the Hood College Alumnae Association, a patron of the Historic St. Maries Citty Foundation and the Activities Committee and Croquet and Mah Jong clubs at Ginger Cove.

In addition to her husband, her survivors include two daughters, Katharine B. Wolpe of New York and Virginia F. Umberger of Arnold; two sons, George N. Baum of Potomac and Christopher C. Baum of Albuquerque, N.M., and eight grandchildren.

Another service will be held at 2 p.m. Monday at the Westmoreland Congregational United Church of Christ in Bethesda. The family suggested memorial contributions to the church's Handicapped Parking Fund or to the Hospice Program

of the Anne Arundel Medical Center.

Sidney Cowen

Bandleader and musician

Sidney Cowen, a retired musician and bandleader, died Jan. 16 of Alzheimer's disease at the age of 86 at the Milford Manor Nursing Home.

Mr. Cowen, who lived in Mount Washington for many years, retired nearly 10 years ago. He operated Sid Cowen and Associates, through which he provided bands for many social events.

Playing the ukulele, banjo, guitar and bass fiddle himself, he also was a master of ceremonies who at weddings would sing a song he made up for the occasion with lyrics containing the names of all members of the wedding party.

Born in Leeds, England, he moved to Baltimore as a child and began his career as a musician in Baltimore in the late 1930s, often playing aboard excursion boats. During World War II, he served in the Army as a musician.

After the war, he was featured on local radio and entertained at the old Ritz night club in the Congress Hotel.

His wife, the former Miriam Lewenberg Immerman, died in 1980.

He is survived by a stepson, Eugene Immerman of Red Bank, N.J.; three grandchildren; two great-grandchildren; and four nephews.

Services for Mr. Cowen were held Sunday at Sol Levinson & Bros. funeral home.

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad