No. 5 Walbrook falls again to Philadelphia's Gratz, 54-46


For more than a month, No. 5 Walbrook had been waiting for another shot at Simon Gratz of Philadelphia.

In the rematch last night in the consolation game of final day of the inaugural Charm City Classic at the Towson Center, the Warriors again fell short to the nation's 11th-ranked team, 54-46.

"We're pleased because everybody stuck together," said Walbrook forward Jermaine Porter. "We had come back towards the end, but I think that last call was the one that hurts."

That call was the fifth foul against Eric Carroll on a long inbound pass to Simon Gratz's Anthony Terrell, which eliminated a scoring threat with 30 seconds left in regulation.

After Terrell's free throws made it 49-46, Porter missed a three-pointer with 23 seconds remaining, and Gratz would go on to seal the win, hitting five of six, nine of 12 overall in the final 1 minute, 12 seconds of regulation.

"We were sluggish for a little while," said Carroll, a 6-foot junior. "Other than that third quarter, we played a good game."

In December, Simon Gratz defeated the Warriors, 66-58, in the Function at the Junction Mixer at Walbrook, in a game which Walbrook stayed with Gratz for 3 1/2 quarters before faltering.

Last night, the Warriors looked as if they would falter after three, trailing 41-24 after being outscored, 20-3, in the period. But the Warriors rallied, closing to within 46-44 with 55 seconds remaining in the regulation on a double clutch three-pointer by Carroll.

In the first meeting, Walbrook (9-5) didn't have Carroll, who wasn't allowed to play until resolving a pair of first-quarter classes. Last night, he had 11 points and nine rebounds to go along with Porter's 13 points and 11 rebounds.

Simon Gratz (17-3), which has lost twice to Dunbar, was led by Jamahal Redmond's 18 points and 12 rebounds and 14 rebounds by 6-foot-10 junior Rasheed Wallace.

From a halftime tie at 21, Simon Gratz scored the first 14 of third quarter, to gain at 35-21 advantage with 3:00 remaining, as Wallace and Redman combined to score 14.

What would cost the Warriors was their shooting in the second and third periods, four of 25 from the field.

"In that third quarter, for some reason, we were a little flat," said Herrington. "We couldn't practice on Wednesday and Thursday because of heating problems in the school and were just flat."

The Warriors started fast, leading 15-9 on the strength of a 6-0 run and six of 11 shooting from the field, as Gratz managed three of 15.

Then Walbrook hit three of 14, which could be attributed to Wallace, who six blocked shots in the game, forcing the Warriors to alter shots in the lane and shoot from the perimeter.

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad