Betty J. WilkinsonArtistServices for Betty J. Wilkinson,...


Betty J. Wilkinson


Services for Betty J. Wilkinson, whose oil paintings and watercolors hung in local exhibits and won may awards, will be held at 10 a.m. today at the Barranco and Sons Funeral Home, Ritchie Highway and Robinson Road in Severna Park.

Mrs. Wilkinson, who lived in Herald Harbor for the past two years, died Wednesday of cancer at Anne Arundel Medical Center. She was 74.

The former Elizabeth Eloise Jones was born and reared in Princess Anne and graduated with honors in 1938 from the Maryland Institute.

A resident of Arnold and Annapolis for many years, she was the wife of Walter G. Wilkinson, a commercial artist who died in 1971.

She was a member of the Baltimore Watercolor Society, the Maryland Federation of Art and the Annapolis Watercolor Club.

She is survived by a daughter, Julie A. Wilkinson, and a son, J. Michael Wilkinson, both of Baltimore; a sister, Emma J. McCarthy of Ellicott City; and a brother, Robert S. Jones Jr. of Baltimore.

The family suggested memorial contributions to the Kennedy Krieger Institute or the Chesapeake Bay Foundation.

Rose M. Rio

Seamstress and designer

A memorial Mass for Rose M. Rio, a retired seamstress, will be offered at 10 a.m. today at SS. Philip and James Roman Catholic Church, 2801 N. Charles St.

Mrs. Rio, who was 87 and lived on North Calvert Street before joining a son in Hallandale, Fla., eight months ago, died Jan. 4 at a hospital in the Florida city after a heart attack.

She retired nearly 20 years ago from the alterations department at Hamburgers. She also was a designer and seamstress for the Rudy Bindi Surgical Supply Co. for many years.

During World War II, she worked for the Modern Manufacturing Co. making military uniforms.

A native of Pennsylvania, the former Rose M. Guido came to Baltimore from Tyler, Pa., as a young woman.

Her husband, Clarence Rio, died in 1962.

She is survived by three sons, Bill Rio of Hallandale, Victor Rio of Fort Lauderdale, Fla., and Richard Rio of Baltimore; a daughter, Agnes Hyatt of Delta, Pa.; and four granddaughters.

Dorothy A. Kennedy

Bridge grand master

A Mass of Christian burial for Dorothy A. Kennedy, who was a grand master at bridge, will be offered at 11 a.m. today at Immaculate Heart of Mary Roman Catholic Church, 8501 Loch Raven Blvd.

Mrs. Kennedy, who was 80 and lived on Scarlett Drive in Towson, died Tuesday of heart disease at home in Fernandina Beach, Fla., where she and her husband spent the winters.

The former Dorothy A. Loeffler was a native of Pittsburgh who came to Baltimore in 1941.

Her husband, John F. Kennedy Jr., is a retired assistant vice president of the Carrollton Bank in Baltimore.

She was a member of the Valley Bridge Club.

In addition to her husband, she is survived by three sons, John F. Kennedy III of Washington Crossing, Pa., Richard A. Kennedy of Crofton and Robert L. Kennedy of Baltimore; a daughter, Barbara Kennedy Yurick of Towson; and seven grandchildren.

William A. Feild

Chemist, veteran

A Mass of Christian burial for William A. Feild, a retired chemist, will be offered at 10 a.m. Monday at St. Mark Roman Catholic Church, 30 Melvin Ave., Catonsville.

Mr. Feild, who was 72, died unexpectedly Thursday while on religious retreat in Berryville, Va. He collapsed in the chapel of the Holy Cross Cistercian Abbey and was pronounced dead at a nearby hospital. He had suffered from cardiovascular disease for many years, and the cause of his death was an apparent heart attack.

Mr. Feild's career began in 1946 after military service during World War II, when he joined the now-defunct Flavorex Co. in Baltimore. In 1949, he moved to Federal Yeast Co., also in Baltimore, and remained there for a decade.

During those years, he was active in two food-trade groups, serving a baking-industry group for a time as secretary-treasurer and a food technology organization as president.

In 1959, he began working for the Army at what was then called Edgewood Arsenal in Edgewood. He was a specialist in packaging at Edgewood and the subsequent Army Chemical Center until retiring in 1985 with 26 years of service.

During World War II, he served as an officer in the Army Signal Corps, having joined the service immediately after graduating from Loyola College. He remained in the Army Reserve until 1965, when he retired with the rank of major. For a time, he belonged to the Catholic War Veterans and the Reserve Officers Association. In retirement, he was active in St. Mark Catholic Church as a Eucharistic minister, often visiting patients in nursing homes.

Mr. Feild was the eldest grandson of the late George G. Horn, one of the founders of the old Horn & Horn Restaurant at 304 E. Baltimore St., and a son of the late Frank A. and Rosa Horn Feild.

He was a graduate of Loyola High School. He and Rebecca Jane Stromberg of Catonsville were married in 1944. They had eight children. Their first child, Mary Ellen Feild, died on her second birthday in 1949.

Surviving are two daughters, Ann R. Feild of Baltimore and Barbara J. Bryant of Catonsville; five sons, William A. Feild Jr. of Ellicott City, Anthony P. Feild of Sykesville, Christopher W. Feild of Baltimore, David M. Feild of Lutherville and Joseph H. Feild of Annandale, Va.; four sisters, Marie Ford of Atlanta and Rosa Pritchett, Teresa Earp and Virginia Hartley, all of Baltimore; five brothers, the Rev. Martin E. Feild of Oakland, Thomas C. Feild of Columbia, and Francis J. Feild, George F. Feild and Paul E. Feild, all of Baltimore; and eight grandchildren.

A brother, James O. Feild, died in 1971.

The family suggested that donations be made to the American Heart Association.

Herman G. McCubbin

Retired police sergeant

Services for Herman G. McCubbin, a retired Baltimore police sergeant who later worked as a campus officer for the University of Maryland Baltimore County, will be held at 10 a.m. today at the Mitchell-Wiedefeld Home, 6500 York Road.

Mr. McCubbin died Jan. 5 of heart failure at a hospital in Port St. Lucie, Fla. He was 83.

He worked as a campus policeman at the university in Catonsville for 10 years before retiring and moving to Florida 16 years ago.

When he ended his career in the city Police Department in 1967, he was a sergeant in the Southwestern District. He had joined the force in 1942 but soon began World War II service in the Coast Guard aboard the cutter Woodbine in the Pacific.

From 1935 to 1942, he had been a Baltimore firefighter.

Returning to the city police force in 1945, he was first stationed in the Northeastern District.

The Baltimore native was a member of the Sharon Lodge of the Masons.

His wife, the former Betty I. Lynch, died in 1986.

He is survived by a son, Patrick L. McCubbin of Idlewylde; a sister, Emma Hambleton of Baltimore; and many nieces and nephews.

Eugene H. Tarlton

Racetrack worker

Private services will be held for Eugene H. Tarlton, a Baltimore native who spent 66 years working at racetracks and who died Jan. 13 at his home in North Miami, Fla. He was 82.

Mr. Tarlton suffered a fatal heart attack five weeks after being injured in a fall. He had continued to work until then.

Mr. Tarlton, who attended Baltimore Polytechnic Institute, began working at age 16 at Maryland tracks, where his late father, Alric, headed the admissions departments. Mr. Tarlton later worked as a mutuel manager at tracks in Michigan. He moved to Florida in 1925 and worked at racetracks there.

One of seven children, Mr. Tarlton is survived by a brother, Richard A. Tarlton of Baltimore, and a sister, June Harrison of Norfolk, Va. Also surviving are his sister-in-law, Katherine McAvoy of North Miami, with whom he lived, and a niece, Virginia Mullen of Columbia, S.C.

Copyright © 2020, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad