No arrest made in man's killing 1992's 23rd slaying victim was shot in robbery attempt.


Police said no arrest had been made in the slaying of a West Baltimore man who was gunned down last evening moments after he left a check-cashing service.

The slaying, city police said, was the 23rd this year.

In an unrelated slaying, police yesterday charged a 22-year-old man already being held at the city's detention center with first-degree murder after a man who had suffered head injuries in a fight last week died Wednesday.

The city's 23rd homicide this year, police said, occurred shortly after 5 p.m. yesterday when Charles A. Carr, of the 2200 block of Penrose St., stepped out of the A&B; check-cashing service in the 1200 block of W. Baltimore St.

Police said Carr had just cashed a check for more than $300 and was leaving the building at 5:20 p.m. when he was stopped by a man with a handgun who demanded his money. Witnesses told police they saw Carr struggling with the gunman and calling for help before he was shot in the lower right chest.

Following the shooting, the gunman fled.

Police said the mortally wounded Carr staggered back inside the store and told an employee that he had just been shot. The employee dialed 911 and reported the shooting.

From the scene, Carr was taken by ambulance to the University of Maryland Medical Center, where he died a short time later.

At the hospital, police recovered $312 from Carr's wallet, the amount of his last paycheck.

In the other case, police said a man arrested Jan. 7 in connection with the attempted murder of another man over a $2 debt was removed from the city detention center yesterday on a writ and charged with first-degree murder following the other man's death.

The accused, Shane Dee Dunnigan, 22, of the 1800 block of Ramsay St., was arrested 10 days ago and charged with assault with intent to murder Mark Dixon, 32, of the 1800 block of Wilhelm St.

Police said the men were fighting over money in the 1800 block of Ramsay St. when Dixon was struck in the head and fell to the pavement.

Police said Dixon suffered head injuries and was taken to the University of Maryland Medical Center, where he was listed in critical condition before dying Wednesday.

As a result of Dixon's death, Dunnigan was removed from the detention center, where he had been held since his arrest, and charged with first-degree murder. Police said Dunnigan was returned to the center and was being held without bail.

Also, two men killed by gunfire in separate incidents yesterday remain unidentified. No arrests have been made in those cases, police said.

At 4 a.m. yesterday, a man in his 20s was inside a house in the 500 block of N. Payson St. when someone shot him in the chest.

Police said the man ran to a second floor to escape and jumped out a window. During a chase, the gunman fired several shots, striking the victim in the back at least once.

Moments later, police responding to a report of a shooting found the man lying in the street. The unidentified man was taken to a hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

Around 12:30 a.m. yesterday, a man who remains unidentified was shot in the left wrist and left side in the 2500 block of E. Hoffman St. Taken to Johns Hopkins Hospital by ambulance, the man died of his wounds in the emergency room about 1:15 a.m.

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad