Funeral services for Don Jamie Fritchie, a National Security Agency employee and longtime Columbia resident, will be at 9 a.m. tomorrow at Arlington National Cemetery.

Mr. Fritchie, a Bluffton, Ohio, native, died Monday of a heart attack at the Greater Laurel-Beltsville Hospital after battling diabetes for 15 years. He was 61.

He worked 43 years for the Defense Department, receiving numerouscivilian and military awards. He retired Oct. 31, 1990.

He left Bluffton to join the U.S. Navy at age 17, shortly after World War II. After his Navy service, he went to work for the Defense Department atFort Meade.

He was a member of the Church of Christ of Bluffton, Ohio, and the Fleet Reserve, a community service group run by retiredNaval officers.

He is survived by his wife of 17 years, the former Nancy Craig; a son, Andrew Fritchie of London, England; three stepsons, Earle Durboraw of Fort Sill, Okla., Scott Durboraw of Dallas andKen Durboraw of San Diego; his mother, Nina Fritchie of Bluffton; two sisters, Freda Jean Warkentin of Tampa, Fla., and Sharon Brunn of Bluffton; and one granddaughter.

A son, Eric Fritchie, died Nov. 13.



Funeral services were Friday for Alfred John Sause, owner and operator of Sause's Welding Service in Ellicott City.

Sause, 81, died Jan. 8 at his home of heart failure.

The Rev. Robert Wallace of St. John's Evangelical Lutheran Church officiated at services at the Harry H. Witzke Funeral Home. Burial was at Crestlawn Cemetery in Marriottsville.

A native of Hessen, Germany, Sause emigrated to the United States in 1930 at the age of 19 and became a naturalized citizen a few years later.

In 1943,he moved from Baltimore to Ellicott City, where he and his wife stated a welding business in a small shop behind their home on Rogers Avenue. On Dec. 31, 1949, they moved their home and business to its current location on U.S. 40.

Dogs were Sause's avocation. In 1937, he brought his first German shorthaired pointer back to America after a visit home to his family in Germany. That dog, Champion Dallo v.d. Forst Brickwede, became the first imported dog to be awarded the champion title by the American Kennel Club.

He was a member of several organizations, including the Mason-Dixon German Shorthaired Pointer Club, and was licensed by the American Kennel Club as both a professional handler and judge of sporting dog breeds. As an internationally recognized authority on the German shorthaired pointer, he judged dogs of that breed in several bench shows and field trials in both Americaand Europe.

He was the husband of the late Thelma A. Sause for 49years. She died in 1983.

Mr. Sause is survived by a son, A. DavidSause of Norman, Okla.; a daughter, Shirley S. Massey of Ellicott City; four sisters, Deaconess Helene Sause, Anna Schneider, Frieda Fuchs and Maria Lindner, all of Hessen; a brother, Konrad Sause, also of Hessen; three grandchildren; and a great-grandson.

The family has suggested contributions to the Animal Welfare Society of Howard County Inc., 8566 Davis Road, Columbia, 21045.

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad