County police Chief Robert P. Russell will be the guest speaker tonight at the meeting of the Western District Police Community RelationsCouncil.
Russell, a 26-year veteran of the county police force, also will install the council's new officers for 1992 at the 7:30 meeting.
The new officers are: Joseph Levesque, president; Dave Daughters,vice president; Liz Greene, recording secretary; and Larry Strong, treasurer.
The meeting will at the district station, 8273 TelegraphRoad, Odenton.
The Officer of Merit award will be presented.
Dues, which will be collected for this year, are $2 per person, per family or per civic association. Checks, made payable to the Anne Arundel County Police Community Relations Council, may be paid the night of the meeting or mailed to 8495 Veterans Highway, Millersville, Md. 21108.
To help shake off those winter blues and winter pounds,the county Recreation and Parks Department is offering a variety of fitness courses.
* A bio-aerobics class, which conditions the cardiovascular system and strengthens muscle groups, is being offered at Four Seasons Elementary School from 6:15 to 7:15 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays, starting Jan. 21; Odenton Elementary School from 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. Monday and Wednesdays, starting Jan. 22; and Quarterfield Elementary School from 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. or 7:45 to 8:45 p.m. Mondays andWednesdays starting Jan. 22. The fee for this eight-week session is $45.50.
* A tone and firm class is being offered at Four Seasons Elementary School from 7:20 to 8:20 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays, starting Jan. 21.
The fee for this eight-week session is $45.50.
* Heartlight Aerobic is designed for children in grades two through five. Kids have fun working out while dancing to the latest hits. This class is offered at Odenton Elementary School from 2:30 to 3:30 p.m. Tuesdays, starting Jan. 28; at Four Seasons Elementary, from 2:50 to 3:50 p.m. Thursdays, starting Jan. 30; and at Waugh Chapel Elementary from 3 to 4 p.m. Mondays, starting Feb. 3.
The fee for this eight-week session is $20.
* Learn self-defense and protective maneuvers while exercising by learning karate. This class, for those ages 15 and over, is being offered at Quarterfield Elementary from 7:30 to 9:30p.m. Thursdays, starting Jan. 9.
The fee for this 10-week sessionis $50.
* A co-ed youth karate class for ages 8 to 14 is being offered at Quarterfield Elementary from 7:30 to 9:30 p.m. Fridays, starting Jan. 10.
The fee for this 10-week session is $35.
For program information, call 741-1957 or 222-3600. For registration information, call 222-3600 or 621-9552.
Piney Orchard Ice Arena is sponsoring morning pick-up hockey from 6:30 to 8 a.m., beginning Jan. 16. Each series will run for six weeks. The series fee is $48, and there is a one-time USA Hockey Registration fee of $40. Equipment is mandatory. Pre-register at the rink prior to morning ice time to pick upadmittance ticket.
For information, call 672-7013.
The West Anne Arundel County Chamber of Commerce and Hayward Baker Inc. will sponsor a workshop called "Automating Your Office: What Is Available?" from 8:30 a.m to noon Feb. 5, at the Days Inn BWI, 7481 New RidgeRoad in Hanover.
The workshop will give participants practical information about hardware, software and accessories. A needs-assessment survey given to participants can be discussed individually with consultants. Hardware and software demonstrations, networking with computers and a panel discussion featuring the consultants will also be presented. A continental breakfast is included.
The cost is $20 for chamber members and $25 for non-members. Reservations are required byJan. 31. Call 672-3422 for a registration form.
The O'MalleySenior Center, 1275 Odenton Road, is offering a cholesterol screening sponsored by the Yalich Clinic of Laurel, from 9 a.m to 1 p.m. Thursday. The cost is $5.
In conjunction with the Arthritis Association, the O'Malley center will offer a six-week Arthritis Aquatic Program at the Annapolis Ramada Inn pool. This program will begin on Jan. 15 and continue through Feb. 19. The group will depart from the O'Malley center at 9:15 a.m. and return at 11:15 a.m. There is a $10 pool fee.
If you have dancing feet or would like to learn line dancing, join Melvina Reese and her group at 10 a.m. Thursday and Jan. 16.
For registration or information on any of the classes, call 222-6227 or 621-9515.