Every year the audience grows. And, so, every year there are more and more of these shows.
We are talking about New Year's Eve TV shows -- programs designed for folks who want to stay home on New Year's Eve and watch others celebrating.
While the most interesting thing about tonight's crop of shows is how many of them are geared to younger viewers, there are shows for just about every age and taste.
* Classical music lovers are offered "New Year's Eve with the Berlin Philharmonic" at 9:30 p.m. on WETA-TV (Channel 26). Featured are Metropolitan Opera soprano Cheryl Studer and pianist Evgeny Kissin in an all-Beethoven program.
* At 10, Merv Griffin starts playing to the big band generation with "Merv Griffin's New Year's Eve" on WJZ-TV (Channel 13). The show will be broadcast from Griffin's Resorts Casino Hotel in Atlantic City.
* The Fox Broadcasting Co. has Guns N' Roses headlining its "New Year's Eve Live" show starting at 11 on WBFF-TV (Channel 45). Penn & Teller and comedian Sam Kinison will host a lineup scheduled to include Southside Johnny and comedians Bruce Baum and Lois Bromfield. Kinison will also perform with an all-star band including members from Heart, Foreigner and Toto. This one is live.
* MTV's annual New Year's Eve party, "MTV '92," starts at 11 tonight. It features Hammer and Bell Biv DeVoe.
* Also live is "Dick Clark's Rockin' New Year's Eve 1992" from Times Square. Clark, who has been drawing an older and older audience for his annual New Year's Eve show, has come up with one of the hottest young talents around to co-host, Shannen Doherty of "Beverly Hills, 90210." Doherty's co-host will be Stephen Baldwin. Their guests are scheduled to include: D. J. Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince, Vanessa Williams and Marky Mark & the Funky Bunch. The live show airs at 11:30 on WJZ-TV (Channel 13).
* Also at 11:30, there's "Hard Rock Cafe New Year's Eve" with Paul Reiser as host and Bonnie Raitt as headliner. Also scheduled to appear is John Mellencamp. Pretaped appearances will include those of: Sting, INXS, Dire Straits and the Neville Brothers. The show airs on WBAL-TV (Channel 11).
* On cable, The Nashville Network is offering "New Year's Citrus Eve" at 11:30. The stars of this country music concert from Sea World in Orlando are Tanya Tucker and Travis Tritt.
* The "Tonight" show goes live tonight, too, with a special New Year's Eve show with Jay Leno as host. It begins at 11:35 on WMAR-TV (Channel 2).