* WHAT'S AHEAD: Host to Towson State Saturday (1).
* FASTBREAKS: After a 10-day break for final exams, Maryland will try to bounce back from a 96-79 loss at Louisville . . . Walt Williams has averaged more than 20 points a game . . . Vince
Broadnax had perhaps his worst game as a Terp against Louisville (0-for-7 shooting, two rebounds).
COPPIN STATE (3-2)
* WHAT'S AHEAD: Tonight (7:30) vs. Youngstown State at Coppin Center; Saturday at James Madison.
* FASTBREAKS: The Eagles continue to get superb play from sophomore forward Tariq Saunders, who's averaging 19.5 points and 9.0 rebounds . . . Sophomore swingman James Mazyck, senior forward Darren Woods and freshman guard Keith Carmichael also are averaging in double figures.
* WHAT'S AHEAD: Idle until Dec. 28 exhibition vs. USA Verich Reps.
* FASTBREAKS: The Greyhounds beat UMBC 78-76 in their only official game between Dec. 7 and Jan. 2, so their momentum will go in mothballs . . . Junior center George Sereikas had six blocks in that game, giving him a school-record 67 for his career . . . Senior guard Kevin Green and sophomore forward Michael Reese are averaging 21.6 and 20.0 points, respectively.
MARYLAND-EASTERN SHORE (0-7)
* WHAT'S AHEAD: At Georgetown Saturday (7 p.m.).
* FASTBREAKS: Assistant Bob Wilkerson is running the Hawks after the resignation of coach Bob Hopkins, who had a 5-29 record since the start of last season . . . Hopkins quit after a 37-point loss to Division III Salisbury State . . . Things weren't any better Saturday, as UMES lost its home opener to Liberty, 89-64.
MORGAN STATE (0-8)
* WHAT'S AHEAD: At Oklahoma Saturday.
* FASTBREAKS: The Bears' latest uphill climb was a 105-55 loss at Loyola of Chicago . . . Morgan State is making only 40.6 percent of its field goal attempts, the opposition 50.1 en route to scoring more than 103 points a game against the Bears . . . Freshman forward Charles Feagin is averaging 12.8 points and 7.3 rebounds, both team-highs.
MOUNT ST. MARY'S (1-5)
* WHAT'S AHEAD: At James Madison Wednesday (7:30).
* FASTBREAKS: The Mountaineers fell back in the second half at Dayton, losing 107-81 . . . Junior guard Kevin Booth was limited to one point in the second half, but he had 25 in the first . . . Booth was 0-for-5 from three-point range in his first two games, but he's since gone 19-for-38, raising his scoring average to 20.7 in the process.
* WHAT'S AHEAD: Idle until Dec. 22 exhibition vs. USA Verich Reps.
* FASTBREAKS: The Midshipmen are getting 11.6 points on 56.8 percent shooting and a team-high 7.0 rebounds per game from Derrick Wall, a 6-6 freshman forward from Durham, N.C. . . . Junior forward John Haase leads in scoring with a 16.2 average . . . Navy is allowing its foes to shoot 50.6 percent from the field.
TOWSON STATE (2-4)
* WHAT'S AHEAD: At Maryland Saturday (1).
* FASTBREAKS: Saturday's game at College Park begins a 10-game road trip that will keep the Tigers away from the Towson Center until a Jan. 27 date with Mount St. Mary's . . . Towson State overpowered Division III Washington College 74-50 Saturday, as Terrance Jacobs scored 20 points and the Tigers forced 28 turnovers.
* WHAT'S AHEAD: At Illinois Saturday.
* FASTBREAKS: The Retrievers' free throw percentage on the season dipped below 60 percent with a 7-for-18 struggle in Saturday's loss at Loyola . . . Coach Earl Hawkins shook up his lineup, benching Soni Nixon, Brian Watkins and Derrell Thompson, but sophomore Stanley Wright was the only consistent front-line replacement.
* FASTBREAKS: Johns Hopkins (6-0) and Salisbury State (6-1) figure to get regional recognition when the NCAA Division III rankings start next month . . . The Blue Jays are idle until Jan. 4, while the Sea Gulls have a Friday home game against Upsula before breaking for the holidays . . . Senior forward Andre Foreman is up to 2,375 career points for Salisbury . . . Bowie State, which had seven wins in 1990-91, had two last week, beating Hampton and Capitol.
* FASTBREAKS: Coppin State (2-4) held a 32-25 halftime lead but fell apart in the second half yesterday, losing to West Virginia Tech, 69-61, in the consolation game of the Lady Herd Classic in West Virginia . . . Seventh-ranked Maryland (7-0) is at Old Dominion Saturday . . . Also on Saturday, Morgan State travels to UMBC for a 5 p.m. game, and Towson State (3-4) is home against No. 12 George Washington at 1 p.m. . . . Angie Dobbs, a senior guard from Perry Hall, is averaging 18.4 points for Navy (3-4), which is off until Jan. 4 . . . Goucher (4-4) is getting another strong season from junior guard Renie Amoss, who's closing in on Betsy Weingarten's school career scoring record of 1,453 points.