* Milwaukee Brewers -- Named Larry Haney and Chuck Tanner special assistants, and Dee Fondy senior consultant.
* New York Yankees -- Waived Eric Plunk (pitcher) and Bob Geren (catcher) for the purpose of giving them their unconditional releases. Purchased the contracts of Brad Ausmus (catcher) and Mike Gardella (pitcher) from Albany of the Eastern League.
National League * Atlanta Braves -- Assigned Nick Esasky (first baseman) to Greenville of the Southern League, and Mike Bell (first baseman), Andy Tomberlin (outfielder) and Kelly Mann and Jerry Willard (catchers) to Richmond of the International League. Waived Randy St. Claire (pitcher).
* Colorado Rockies -- Named Al Hargesheimer, Frank Mattox and Lance Nichols scouting supervisors.
* Philadelphia Phillies -- Named Jimmy Stewart special assignment scout. Signed Bob Ayrault and Tony Borland (pitchers) and Bruce Dostal and Cary Williams (outfielders).
* St. Louis Cardinals -- Agreed to terms with Rich Gedman (catcher) on a 1-year contract and Rene Arocha (pitcher) on a minor-league contract.
FOOTBALL (NFL) * Cleveland Browns -- Placed Danny Peebles (wide receiver) and Derrick Douglas (running back) on injured reserve. Signed Arthur Cox (tight end) off waivers from the Miami Dolphins, and Lynn James (wide receiver) off waivers from the Cincinnati Bengals. Signed Hayward Haynes (offensive guard) to the practice squad.
COLLEGE * Michigan State -- Announced that George Perles (head football coach and athletic director) has been fired as coach effective at the end of this season and given the option to continue as athletic director.
* Minnesota -- Announced the resignation of John Gutekunst (football coach) effective at the end of this season.