Bishop T. Austin Murphy is dead
A Mass of Christian burial for retired Auxiliary Bishop T. Austin Murphy of Baltimore's Roman Catholic archdiocese will be offered at 11 a.m. Thursday at the Cathedral of Mary Our Queen, 5300 N. Charles St.
Bishop Murphy, 80, died unexpectedly Sunday afternoon of an apparent cardiac arrest.
He was walking from the rectory to the church of St. Rose of Lima in Brooklyn to attend Mass when he collapsed. He was taken to Harbor Hospital Center, where efforts to revive him were unsuccessful.
Archbishop William H. Keeler said Bishop Murphy will be remembered for "his deep faith and genuine concern for others, expressed so often with warmth and wit. To his family, to members of St. Rose of Lima Parish, to people throughout this archdiocese and beyond its borders who were touched by his ministry and friendship go prayerful sentiments of sympathy."
Born in Baltimore's St. Martin parish on May 11, 1911, he graduated from St. Martin's and entered St. Charles College to study for the priesthood. He completed theological studies at St. Mary's Seminary in Roland Park.
He was ordained at the Basilica of the Assumption on June 10, 1937, by Archbishop Michael J. Curley.
Father Murphy was assigned to his home parish, where he served for seven years. He was then sent to St. Dominic's for six years and then to St. Mary's in Govans.
In 1951, he was assigned to St. Rose of Lima, first as an associate and then as administrator of the parish. He was named pastor in 1961 after the death of Monsignor Leonard Ripple.
In May 1962, Father Murphy was named an auxiliary bishop of Baltimore. He often marveled at his rank by saying, "And I was never even a monsignor!"
He was consecrated bishop at the Cathedral of Mary Our Queen. He remained in the office of pastor of St. Rose until 1972 and continued living at the rectory until his death.
As bishop, he was the first chairman of the Roman Catholic-Lutheran Dialogue, the first of a series of ecumenical discussions between the Catholic Church and other Christian denominations. He also served as vicar for the religious in the archdiocese and as first chairman of the Archdiocesan Liturgical Commission.
Bishop Murphy retired in 1984.
He is survived by a sister, Rosemary M. Malooly and a brother, C. Carroll Murphy, both of Baltimore.
Former Keough teacher
A Mass of Christian burial for Sister Helen Tomasheck, S.S.N.D., who taught math and history at the former Archbishop Keough High School for two decades, will be offered at 3 p.m. today at the chapel at Villa Assumpta, 6401 N. Charles St.
Sister Helen, who was also known as Sister Mary Alois, died Sunday morning of a stroke at Villa Assumpta, the motherhouse of the School Sisters of Notre Dame. She was 85.
Born in Budapest, Hungary, Sister Helen came to the United States with her parents at the age of 2. When she was 5, she was placed under the care of the School Sisters of Notre Dame at St. Vincent's Orphanage near Philadelphia.
She attended primary school at St. Vincent's and then worked as housekeeping assistant for a priest. In 1924, she joined the School Sisters of Notre Dame and, while a candidate, earned her high school diploma at the Institute of Notre Dame in Baltimore.
She professed her vows in 1928. In 1947, she received her bachelor's degree in history from the College of the Sacred Heart in Puerto Rico. She also attended classes at the University of Puerto Rico and Fordham University in New York.
She taught school in Puerto Rico for 28 years. In 1961, she returned to the mainland to teach at St. Mary's in Annapolis.
From 1962 to 1967, she taught at St. John's in Frederick. After that, she taught at Archbishop Keough until her retirement in 1986. The all-girls school in Southwest Baltimore is now known as Seton-Keough, following a merger with the former Seton Institute.
;/ No members of her immediate family survive.
Joseph A. Vitale Jr.
Sales engineer, veteran
A Mass of Christian burial for Joseph A. Vitale Jr., a former sales engineer for the American Can Co., will be offered at 10 a.m. today at St. Vincent de Paul Church in Gillette, N.J.
Mr. Vitale, who was 68 and lived in Gillette, died Saturday of cancer at the Columbia Hospital in Newark, N.J., where he worked as chief engineer.
He had worked for the can company in Baltimore from 1947 until 1958 when he became plant manager for the Shasta Beverage Co. in Plainfield, N.J.
Born in Baltimore, he was a 1942 graduate of the Polytechnic Institute.
He served in the U.S. Army Air Forces during World War II as a crew chief for bombers in Italy.
He is survived by his wife of 44 years, the former Elisabeth Gwynn; three sons, Michael J., Joseph A. and Paul A. Vitale, all of Gillette; two daughters, Donna Marie Smith of San Jose, Calif., and Anna Marie Vitale of Newark; two brothers, Dr. William J. Vitale of Hunt Valley and Ralph M. Vitale of Parkville; three sisters, Constance Dewey and Josephine Bedford, both of Parkville, and Anne Monico of Perry Hall; and two grandchildren.
Dr. Karen Newton
A memorial service for Dr. Karen Ann Newton, a Houston anesthesiologist who was born and reared in Baltimore, will be held at 4 p.m. tomorrow at the Madison Avenue Presbyterian Church, 2110 Madison Ave.
Dr. Newton, who was 37, died Nov. 4 at St. Luke's Episcopal Hospital in Houston from complications of a viral infection that affected her brain.
She had been working for the past 10 months in a partnership at Southwest Memorial Hospital in Houston. She also was an attending anesthesiologist at the Houston Veterans Affairs Hospital and an assistant professor at the Baylor University College of Medicine.
Dr. Newton was reared on Harlem Avenue in Baltimore and attended Pimlico Junior High School. She was a 1972 graduate of Western High School.
She attended Georgetown University in Washington for a year and completed her undergraduate work at Goucher College in 1976.
Dr. Newton received her medical degree from the University of Wisconsin in 1982, then trained for several months in Yokohama, Japan, in the Japanese approach to clinical pediatric cardiology and other specialties.
After an internship at what is now the Harbor Hospital Center, she was a resident in anesthesiology at what is now the University Medical Center until 1985 and then had a fellowship there in cardiothoracic, neurosurgical and pediatric anesthesia. She moved to Houston in 1986, when she joined the Baylor
Dr. Newton is survived by her parents, Joel and Sarah Newton, who have lived on Harlem Avenue for nearly 40 years; an aunt, Theresa Williams; and three cousins, Ernest C. Hammond and John and Terry Williams, all of Baltimore.
The family suggested memorial contributions to the Madison Avenue Presbyterian Church for the Karen Ann Newton Scholarship Fund. Services for John MacFarlane, who worked as an engineer with an insurance company for 31 years, were held at 7 p.m. yesterday at Woods Memorial Presbyterian Church in Severna Park.
Mr. MacFarlane, who was 64, died of liver failure Thursday at Anne Arundel Medical Center. He retired in September as a senior safety engineer at the Baltimore office of Royal Insurance Co. He lived in Severna Park for 21 years.
Born in Whiteinch, Scotland, Mr. MacFarlane served in the British merchant marine from 1947 to 1953.
He is survived by his wife of 37 years, the former Margaret H. Lennox; a son, George MacFarlane of Brandon, Fla.; a daughter, Sandra Houston Worgan of Severna Park; his mother, Mary MacPherson Pollock, and a sister, Morag Boyle, both of Renfrew, Scotland.
The family suggested contributions to cancer research in care of Woods Memorial Presbyterian Church, Baltimore-Annapolis Boulevard, Severna Park 21146.
Dr. Gerald Galvin
A Mass of Christian burial for Dr. Gerald A. Galvin, a gynecologist who served on the staffs of five Baltimore hospitals, will be offered at 10 a.m. today at the Cathedral of Mary Our Queen, 5200 N. Charles St.
Dr. Galvin died Friday at St. Joseph Hospital of complications from an intracranial hemorrhage. He was 80.
The Baltimore native graduated from Loyola High School and in 1934 received a bachelor's degree from Loyola College. He graduated from Johns Hopkins Medical School in 1939.
Dr. Galvin completed an internship and residency at Johns Hopkins Hospital and was named an associate professor of gynecology in 1944.
From 1944 to 1946, he served as a captain in the Army Medical Corps in Britain and Germany. When he returned, he began a private practice that continued until 1987.
In the 1950s, he and the late Dr. Richard TeLinde were co-authors of a paper on the early diagnosis of cervical cancer.
Dr. Galvin served on the staffs of St. Joseph Hospital, where he was chief of the gynecology department in the 1970s; Mercy Medical Center; Hopkins; Union Memorial Hospital; and the Greater Baltimore Medical Center.
In the 1970s, he was on the board of directors of Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Maryland. He was a life member of the American Gynecological Society and belonged to the Baltimore City Medical Society and the Medical and Chirurgical Faculty of Maryland.
He is survived by his wife of 42 years, the former Elsie Montgomery; two sons, Gerald A. Galvin Jr. and David M. Galvin; a brother, Joseph M. Galvin; and two grandchildren, all of Baltimore.
The family suggests contributions to St. Joseph Hospital or Mercy Medical Center. Services for Betty Jane Christmas Carey, who operated a Riderwood dress shop and owned racehorses, will be held at 10 a.m. today at Henry W. Jenkins & Sons funeral establishment, 4905 York Road.
Mrs. Carey, 68, died Saturday of cancer at her home in Timonium.
She had been president of Elizabeth Christmas Inc., the dress shop, since 1975.
The former Betty Jane Christmas was born in Washington and was a graduate of Eden Hall in Torresdale, Pa.
She spent many summers at Saratoga Springs, N.Y., where family members rented a home and were active in racing. She herself had owned several thoroughbreds that raced at flat tracks.
Mrs. Carey is survived by two daughters, Margaret Larned Braid of Freeland and Elizabeth Yancey Carey of Laurel; a son, George Leiper Carey IV of Timonium; a brother, William G. Christmas of Monkton; her stepmother, Mary G. Christmas of Timonium; and three grandchildren.
J. Ronald Talbott
Services for J. Ronald Talbott, a technical consultant to the Eastern Division of MCI Telecommunications Inc., will be held at 11 a.m. tomorrow at the St. John Lutheran Church in New Freedom, Pa.
Mr. Talbott, who was 45, died Sunday of cancer at his home on Burke Road in White Hall.
With MCI for 17 years, he earlier worked for the Chesapeake & Potomac Telephone Co.
The Baltimore native was educated at the Parkville High School and at technical schools in the Washington area.
He is survived by his wife, the former Deborah Smith; a daughter, Laura K. Talbott, and a son, Stephen M. Talbott, both of White Hall; his parents, John E. and Isabella R. Talbott of Cockeysville; and two brothers, Richard P. and Dennis M. Talbott, both of Baltimore.
Emerson W. Tyler
Photo company president
Services for Emerson W. Tyler, who worked his way up from office boy to president of a photoengraving company, will be at 10:30 a.m. today at the Mitchell-Wiedefeld funeral home, 6500 York Road in Rodgers Forge.
Mr. Tyler, a Towson resident for 19 years, died Saturday of pneumonia at Good Samaritan Hospital. He was 88.
He began working at Alpha Photo Engraving Co. in Baltimore at age 12. He learned the business over the years and was named president in 1958. He retired 10 years later.
The Cambridge native was reared in Baltimore and graduated from the Polytechnic Institute. In 1957, he served as president of the Baltimore Rotary Club. He also was a 32nd degree Mason of the Tuscan Lodge.
He is survived by his wife of 59 years, the former Margaret Bellamy of Govans; and a sister, Dorothy Acomb of Chattanooga, Tenn.