Carville G. Akehurst
Former nursery owner
Services for Carville G. Akehurst, whose family has been in the plant business since his grandfather started selling flowers in Fullerton in 1876, will be at 11 a.m. today at Camp Chapel United Methodist Church, 5000 E. Joppa Road.
Mr. Akehurst died Friday at Franklin Square Hospital Center after a heart attack. He was 84.
His grandfather, Charles Akehurst, came to the United States from Britain in 1838, and settled in Mount Washington. Ten years later, he moved to Joppa Road, where he farmed. In 1876, he and his son, C. Edward Akehurst, opened Akehurst Nurseries and sold vegetables, carnations, violets, bedding plants, roses and other flowers.
Mr. Akehurst and his four brothers began working in the family business at a young age. He was made a partner in Akehurst Brothers, a greenhouse operation specializing in roses, in 1927, and became an owner of Akehurst Nurseries Inc., which produced nursery stock and did landscaping work, in 1931.
He retired in 1976, when the business was celebrating its 100th anniversary and selling 1 million roses a year. His three sons took over the business, and two still are involved.
William E. Akehurst of Perry Hall and his two sons, William K. and Brian, operate Akehurst Landscape Service Inc. in White Marsh, the successor to Akehurst Nurseries.
Lauren D. Akehurst of Bel Air operates Akehurst Landscaping in the 11000 block of Pulaski Highway.
Mr. Akehurst was one of the original members of the Maryland Nurseryman's Association and was its first treasurer. He served as president in 1956, and received the group's "Professional Achievement Award" in 1962.
In 1970, he received a certificate of merit award in agriculture from the University of Maryland.
He was a lifelong member of Camp Chapel United Methodist Church, where he served on the Board of Trustees for several decades. He taught Sunday school and was instrumental in raising money for and supervising construction of the present church and educational buildings.
Mr. Akehurst was an original member and treasurer of the Franklin Square Hospital Center Foundation, which managed the hospital's real estate. From 1964 to 1977, he was a member of the Northeast Baltimore County Regional Advisory Board for Maryland National Bank.
He was a charter member and past president of the Kiwanis Club of Parkville, and from 1969 to 1970 he was chairman of the Northeast YMCA Building for Youth campaign.
Mr. Akehurst also was involved in parent-teacher association activities in the 1940s and 1950s, and the Baltimore County Library Association in the late 1960s.
In 1929, he married Doris Milling, who died in 1974.
In addition to his sons, William and Lauren, Mr. Akehurst is survived by another son, Carville M. Akehurst, and a daughter, Doris A. Tarleton, both of Perry Hall; and 11 grandchildren. A Mass of Christian burial for Silvio C. J. Patti, an engineer who served on the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission in the late 1970s, will be offered at 10 a.m. today at St. Margaret's Church, 141 Hickory Ave. in Bel Air.
Mr. Patti, who was 70, died of cancer Wednesday at Fallston General Hospital.
Mr. Patti worked as an electrical engineer for Martin Marietta from 1955 to 1971, when he left for the U.S. Department of Labor. He wrote electrical safety standards for the Occupational Safety and Health Administration until 1982, when he retired.
From July 1975 to June 1977, he was a member of the Consumer Product Safety Commission.
During retirement, Mr. Patti owned the Bel Air Card and Gift Shop, and was a part-time teacher of electronics at Catonsville Community College. He also built grandfather clocks and rebuilt grand and player pianos.
Mr. Patti received a bachelor of science degree in electrical engineering in 1955 from the Indiana Institute of Technology and master's degree in management engineering from George Washington University in 1971.
He served in the Army during World War II, in the Pacific and in North Africa, and was called back to service in Japan in 1950 during the Korean War.
Mr. Patti was born in Galati Mamertino, Italy, when his parents, John and Marianna, were visiting there. They returned to New York City a year and a half later. He had lived in Towson since 1966.
He is survived by his wife of 43 years, Elsie R. McDougal Patti; four sons, Joseph Patti and Thomas Patti of Bel Air; John Patti of Fort Lauderdale, Fla., and Robert Patti of Freeland; a daughter, Barbara Patti of Bel Air; and one granddaughter.
The family suggests that contributions be made to the Grant-A-Wish Foundation, P.O. Box 21211, Baltimore, Md. 21228.
Ida Amelia Himler
Services for Ida Amelia Himler, who was active in volunteer work, will be at 1 p.m. today at Henry W. Jenkins and Sons, 4905 York Road.
Mrs. Himler, who was 91 and lived for many years in the Mayfield area, died Wednesday of influenza at Keswick Home, where she had lived for the past three years.
A Red Cross volunteer during World War II, she later did volunteer work at Maryland General Hospital, University Hospital, the Mental Health Association of Baltimore City and the Lutheran Mission Stores.
She was also a member of the Auxiliary at Immanuel Lutheran Church and the auxiliary of the Augsburg Lutheran Home.
Fond of needlework and sewing, she made clothes for herself and her daughter.
The former Ida Amelia Cramblitt was a native of Baltimore. Her husband, Luther Paul Himler, retired assistant superintendent of the accounting department at the Baltimore Gas and Electric Co., died in 1968.
She is survived by her daughter, Doris Himler Markley of Towson; two grandchildren; and a great-granddaughter.
School social worker
A memorial Mass for Richard Gross, who spent his career counseling young people as a social worker in Baltimore schools, will be offered at 7:30 p.m. today at All Saints Catholic Church, 4408 Liberty Heights Ave.
Mr. Gross, who was 66, died Thursday of cancer at his home in West Baltimore.
He worked in city schools for 23 years, mostly in middle and high schools, and often visited students' homes to talk with their parents. He encouraged students to call him at home.
Mr. Gross also worked at Crownsville State Hospital, Cub Hill School for Boys and Catonsville School for Boys.
During World War II, he served as a radio operator in Italy in the Army's 92nd Division, 370th Regiment, 1st Battalion -- a unit known as the "Buffalo Soldiers."
In 1988, he joined the Zeta Sigma graduate chapter of Phi Beta Sigma fraternity.
Mr. Gross enjoyed boating, chess, reading, music and projects in which he worked with his hands. He loved the outdoors.
Born in Baltimore, Mr. Gross attended city schools and graduated from Douglass Senior High School in 1945. He attended Fordham University, received a bachelor of arts degree from Loyola College and a master's in social work from Howard University.
In 1948, he married his childhood sweetheart, the former Pauline Colbert, who survives him. Mr. Gross also is survived by four sons, Dwight, Eric, Vincent and Bryan, and three daughters, Miriam Wood, Vanessa Johnson and Paula Law, all of Baltimore; and 15 grandchildren. A son, Richard DePaul Gross, died in 1986.
Services for John MacFarlane, who worked as an engineer with an insurance company for 31 years, will be at 7 p.m. tomorrow at Woods Memorial Presbyterian Church in Severna Park.
Mr. MacFarlane, who was 64, died of liver failure Thursday at Anne Arundel Medical Center. He retired in September as a senior safety engineer at the Baltimore office of Royal Insurance Co. He lived in Severna Park for 21 years.
Born in Whiteinch, Scotland, Mr. MacFarlane served in the British merchant marine from 1947 to 1953.
He was an elder at Woods Memorial Presbyterian Church and a && senior choir member for 21 years. He also was a member of the Robert Burns Society of Annapolis, and he enjoyed golf.
He is survived by his wife of 37 years, the former Margaret H. Lennox; a son, George MacFarlane of Brandon, Fla.; a daughter, Sandra Houston Worgan of Severna Park; his mother, Mary MacPherson Pollock; and a sister, Morag Boyle, both of Renfrew, Scotland.
The family suggested that contributions be made to cancer research in care of Woods Memorial Presbyterian Church, Baltimore-Annapolis Boulevard, Severna Park, Md. 21146.
Lester N. Towner
Lester Nichols Towner, an insurance underwriter with a keen interest in conservation, died Friday at Johns Hopkins Hospital of a viral infection. He was 85. Services will be private.
He worked for 55 years as a chartered life underwriter for the John Hancock Mutual Life Insurance Co., retiring in 1984.
Mr. Towner, who was an avid hunter, had an interest in waterfowl and upland game that led to 17 years of service on a Maryland Department of Natural Resources advisory board. Three former governors -- William Preston Lane Jr., Theodore R. McKeldin and J. Millard Tawes -- appointed him to the board as Baltimore metropolitan area representative.
Mr. Towner was past president of the Maryland Sportsman's Luncheon Club and was active in the Maryland State Game and Fish Protective Association, the Maryland Outdoor Life Federation and the League of Maryland Sportsmen.
Mr. Towner joined the Baltimore Kiwanis Club in 1952 and served on its board of directors from 1963 to 1966. He was past president of the Paint and Powder Club, the Baltimore Junior Association of Commerce, the Life Agents Club of Baltimore and the Baltimore chapter of the American Society of Chartered Life Underwriters.
He also belonged to the Homeland Association, the St. George's Society, the Sons of the American Revolution. He was an honorary member of the Merchants Club.
He was born in Brooklyn, N.Y., and raised in Branford, Conn. He lived in Ruxton for about 20 years. He graduated from Mercersburg Academy in 1924 and Yale University in 1929. During World War II, he served as a lieutenant commander in the Navy.
He is survived by his wife of 60 years, the former May Moore; a daughter, Nancy N. T. Butterworth of Wilbraham, Mass.; a son, L. Eugene Towner of Towson; and three grandchildren. Services for Nicolas Lazorenko, a retired printer at The Baltimore Sun, will be at 2 p.m. today at the Sterling Ashton Funeral Home, 736 Edmondson Ave., Catonsville.
Mr. Lazorenko, who lived in Catonsville, died Friday at St. Agnes Hospital of a stroke. He was 71.
Born in the Ukraine on Aug. 20, 1920, Mr. Lazorenko was sent to a refugee camp in Germany during World War II. From there, he and his wife emigrated to Brazil with their two daughters.
The family lived in San Paolo for 10 years, struggling to save enough money to move to the United States. Mr. Lazorenko, who spoke Ukrainian, Russian, Portuguese, Polish, German and English, worked as a printer in Brazil.
The Lazorenkos emigrated to Baltimore in 1956. Mr. Lazorenko worked as a printer briefly at the old Baltimore News American before he was hired by The Sun. He retired in 1986.
He is survived by his wife of 51 years, the former Anastasia Chodachok; two daughters, Olga Ferris of Catonsville and Maria Cooper of Yorba Linda, Calif.; and three grandchildren.