William P. JunkinTimonium engineerServices for William P....


William P. Junkin

Timonium engineer

Services for William P. Junkin, a retired engineer at Edgewood Arsenal and a real estate agent, will be held at 1 p.m. today at St. Timothy's Lutheran Church, 100 E. Timonium Road.

Mr. Junkin, who was 66, died Wednesday after a heart attack at his home on Eastridge Road in Timonium.

He retired about 10 years ago as chief engineer for the Manufacturing Technology Directorate at the Army post. An expert on munitions production, he had worked at Edgewood for 29 years.

After his retirement, he worked in the Timonium office of the O'Conor, Piper and Flynn real estate firm.

He had also been a partner in the old Flaming Pit Restaurant at York and Padonia roads.

A native of the Philadelphia area who was reared in New York City, he sang professionally as a boy soprano in church choirs during the Depression and later played the trumpet in an all-city high school band and with groups that played for social events.

He was a flight cadet in the Navy during World War II and earned an aeronautical engineering degree at Purdue University in 1948. Two years later, he earned a master's degree in industrial engineering at Lehigh University.

A charter member of St. Timothy's Church, he also served as scoutmaster for Cub Scout and Boy Scout troops there.

Mr. Junkin was a charter member and former president of the Timonium-Cockeysville Kiwanis Club.

He is survived by his wife of 29 years, the former Anna Elizabeth Clair; a daughter, Clair Peddicord of Rosedale; a son, David Edson Junkin of Timonium; a sister, Margaret Czerenda of Orlando, Fla.; and two grandchildren.

The family suggested memorial contributions to the

Timonium-Cockeysville Kiwanis Club.


Martha Thompson

Retired teacher

A memorial service for Martha J. Thompson, a retired special education teacher in the Baltimore school system, will be held at 11 a.m. today at the Lewis T. Gwynn Funeral Home, 4517 Park Heights Ave.

Mrs. Thompson, who was 91 and lived in West Baltimore, died Sept. 14 of cancer at Bon Secours Hospital.

She retired in 1968 after teaching for 46 years in elementary schools.

Born in Glen Arm, the former Martha Josephine Margaret Gwynn was a graduate of Douglass High School and what is now Coppin State College. She earned a bachelor's degree at Morgan State University and did graduate work in special education at New York University.

Her husband, John S. B. Thompson, died in 1974 after retiring as a postal clerk in Washington.

In 1975, she moved to Honolulu, where she remained until last spring.

Active in service and horticultural clubs in Hawaii, she had been a member in Baltimore of the Phi Chapter of the Tau Gamma Delta service sorority, the Nomads Travel Club, the Evergreen Protective Association, the Druid Hill YMCA and two social clubs, the Hobbyists and the Chumerettes.

She had been a member of the Bethel African Methodist Episcopal Church and later of the Douglass Memorial Community Church.

She is survived by a daughter, Nelda Lavonne Hooper of Philadelphia; two sisters, Beatrice P. Payne of Catonsville and Louise R. Grier of Baltimore; three granddaughters; five great-grandchildren; and two great-great-grandchildren.

G. B. Mortimer Sr.

Business owner

Services for George B. Mortimer Sr., who operated a plumbing and heating business in South Baltimore for many years, will be held at 10 a.m. today at the McCully Funeral Home, 130 E. Fort Ave.

Mr. Mortimer, who was 83 and lived on East Clement Street, died Tuesday at the Deaton Hospital and Medical Center of complications to diabetes.

He retired in 1975 after operating the business under his name for many years. He worked previously at the Bethlehem Steel Corp. Key Highway Shipyard and for the Baltimore Gas and Electric Co.

Born in Baltimore, he attended Southern High School and was a member of the Naval Reserve in the 1920s and 1930s.

He is survived by his wife, the former Mabel G. Babylon; three sons, Warren L. and George B. Mortimer Jr., both of Pasadena, and Jacque S. Mortimer of Baltimore Highlands; seven grandchildren; and five great-grandchildren.

Dr. John Chambers

Retired neurosurgeon

Dr. John W. Chambers, a retired neurosurgeon, died Thursday of bone cancer at the Greater Baltimore Medical Center.

Dr. Chambers, who was 74 and lived on Poplar Hill Road, had been in private practice for 30 years before his retirement in 1983.

He had also been an associate professor of neurosurgery at the Johns Hopkins medical school and active in the residency teaching program at the hospital.

He was also a member of the staffs at Union Memorial, Children's and Church hospitals.

Co-author of several textbooks and author of a number of scientific papers, he was an expert in pituitary gland surgery.

Born in Baltimore, he was a graduate of Boys' Latin School and earned both his bachelor's degree and his medical degree at the Johns Hopkins University.

After serving as an intern and resident under the late Dr. Walter Dandy at Hopkins, he took additional training as a fellow at the Leahy Clinic in Boston.

A waterfowl and field bird hunter and a fisherman, he went dove hunting and trout fishing even after he had to start using a wheelchair about four months ago. He told stories of body booting on the Susquehanna Flats, which involved hunting waterfowl by wading into the water in boots that covered much of the body instead of using a blind. He was once pictured in the water on the cover of Sports Illustrated.

He tied his own flies for trout fishing and was a saltwater fisherman, setting a record at the Panamanian Club by catching a 194-pound striped marlin in 1967 during a trip to Panama with the Ocean City Light Tackle Club. He also helped to land a 720-pound black marlin that was the biggest catch of the trip.

About the same time, he was a member of the U.S. team in the International Tuna Tournament.

He is survived by his wife of 28 years, the former Margaret Barclay; a daughter, Patsy Chambers Webb of Denver; a son, Dr. Thomas Jackson Chambers of St. Louis; two sisters, Ann Chambers Christopher of Baltimore and Margaret Chambers Strabucchi of Santiago, Chile; and five grandchildren.

Private services are planned, but the family suggested memorial contributions could be made to the Union Memorial Hospice, Ducks Unlimited or the Maryland Fly Anglers.

Olivia M. Carter

Choir singer

Services for Olivia M. Carter, who sang in choirs, will be held at noon today at the Pentecost Baptist Church, 1615 Poplar Grove St.

RTC Mrs. Carter, who was 80 and lived on Eutaw Place, died Tuesday of heart disease at Bon Secours Hospital.

A soprano, she sang for many years with the Baptist Convention Voices and with the Zion Travelers, an independent gospel group.

The former Olivia M. Harrid was a native of Baltimore and a graduate of Douglass High School.

Her husband, Walter Earl Carter, died in 1966.

She is survived by three daughters, Delores Jackson, Zelda Franklin and Maxine Miles, all of Baltimore; two sons, Raymond and Melvin Carter, both of Baltimore; 24 grandchildren; 33 great-grandchildren; and five great-great-grandchildren.

Copyright © 2021, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad