Father Hanley, retired professor at Loyola, dies
A Mass of Christian burial for the Rev. Thomas O'Brien Hanley, S.J., retired professor of history at Loyola College and an authority on the Carrolls of Maryland, will be offered at 10 a.m. today at St. John's Church at Creighton University in Omaha, Neb.
A Mass will also be offered for Father Hanley, who was 73 and died Sunday of respiratory and heart disease at a hospital in Omaha, at noon tomorrow in the chapel at Loyola College, Charles Street and Cold Spring Lane.
He retired from Loyola in 1967 after first joining the faculty as a visiting professor in 1967. He remained there until August, when he moved to Omaha to be with relatives.
An editor of papers and a biographer, his books included works on both Charles Carroll of Carrollton and the first Archbishop of Baltimore, John Carroll.
He was the author of nearly 90 published professional papers, served as a consultant on religious freedom to the Second Vatican Council and also advised American church leaders.
A native of Washington who was reared there and in Omaha, Father Hanley held a bachelor's degree from St. Louis University, a master's degree from Marquette University and a doctorate from Georgetown University. He also taught at Marquette before joining the Loyola faculty.
He entered the Society of Jesus in 1939 and was ordained as a Jesuit priest in 1952.
Father Hanley was a member of the Sons of the American Revolution, which has autographed copies of his books in its library in Williamsburg, Va. He also was a member of the Knights of Columbus and its Fourth Degree and was a charter member of the Guild of American Professional Historians.
He is survived by two brothers, John J. Hanley and the Rev. James F. Hanley, S.J., both of Omaha; and many nieces, nephews, grandnieces and grandnephews.
John A. Laumann
Was police lieutenant
Services for John A. Laumann, a retired Baltimore County police lieutenant who improved the department's system for producing pictures for crime victims to identify, will be held at 10 a.m. today at the G. Truman Schwab Funeral Home, 5151 Baltimore National Pike.
Mr. Laumann, who was 89 and lived in Catonsville, died Saturday of complications to a broken hip at the Meridian Nursing Center-Catonsville.
Mr. Laumann, who began his career in the county police department in 1934, retired in 1959. He was the first president of the Identification Officers Association of Maryland. Before starting the identification system in the early 1950s, he attended Northwestern University, the Institute of Criminology in Philadelphia and studied at the Eastman Kodak Co. in Rochester, N.Y. He worked with New York City police to show them how the system operated.
Born in Ellicott City, he left school after the sixth grade to work in the barber shop his great-grandfather started in 1860.
He also had worked as a mixer for the Donut Corp. of America before joining the police department.
His wife, the former Genevieve Elizabeth Covey, died in 1979.
After his retirement, he traveled extensively in the United States.
He is survived by three sons, John F., Thomas A. and Dennis C. Laumann, all of Catonsville; four sisters, Marie Hobson of Ellicott City, Hannah Markley of Lisbon, Minnie Woodward of Glenwood, and Katherine Metz of Randallstown; a brother, Albert H. Laumann of Brooklyn Park; five grandchildren and seven great-grandchildren.
A memorial service for William Rigby McDorman, a retired metallurgical manufacturers representative, will be held at 11 a.m. today in the chapel of Cathedral House, the Episcopal diocesan center on Charles Street at University Parkway.
Mr. McDorman, who was 83 and lived on Springlake Way, died of a viral infection Sunday at Keswick.
He retired about three years ago after representing several manufacturers, including the Arwood Precision Casting and Curto Ligonier Foundries companies.
Before starting his career in metallurgy in the late 1940s, he had been a teacher of Romance languages at the Polytechnic Institute and City College and tutored students at the Gilman School.
Born in Baltimore, he was a graduate of City College and, in 1929, of the Johns Hopkins University. He later studied in Madrid, Spain.
For many years the alumni representative of the Class of 1929 at Hopkins, he was also an usher and active in several groups at the Episcopal Cathedral of the Incarnation.
He is survived by his wife, the former Pauline V. Stockhausen; a daughter, Joan McDorman Wilson of Wilmington, Del.; two sisters, Mary Frances Denny and Margaret Mae Lehmann, both of Baltimore; and three grandchildren.
The family suggested donations to the Class of 1929 Scholarship Fund at the Johns Hopkins University.
Rita D. Dunnock
Retired state employee
A Mass of Christian burial for Rita D. Dunnock, retired assistant director of research for the state Department of Employment Security, will be offered at 9:30 a.m. today at SS. Peter and Paul Roman Catholic Church in Easton.
Graveside services for Miss Dunnock, who was 70 and died Sunday of cancer at the Memorial Hospital in Easton, will be held at 1 p.m. at the New Cathedral Cemetery, 4300 Old Frederick Road, in Baltimore.
She moved to Easton after her retirement in 1977 from the state agency, which she joined after World War II. During the war, she had been an intelligence analyst at the Foreign Economic Administration in Washington.
Born in Baltimore, she was a graduate of the Institute of Notre Dame and the College of Notre Dame.
She was a member of the Talbot County Women's Club, the Talbot County Historical Society and the American Association of Retired Persons.
She is survived by a brother-in-law, Bernard R. Bond Sr. of Easton; a nephew, Bernard R. Bond Jr. of Ocean Pines; and a niece, Mary Helen Bond of Philadelphia.
The family suggested memorial donations to the Benedictine School for Exceptional Children in Ridgely or the Talbot Hospice Foundation in Easton.
Anna H. Schertle
A Mass of Christian burial for Anna H. Schertle, a former waitress at the Woman's Industrial Exchange in Baltimore, will be offered at 7:30 tonight at Our Lady of Mount Carmel Roman Catholic Church in Newport News, Va.,
Mrs. Schertle, who was 90, died of cancer Monday at her home in Hampton, Va.
She moved to Virginia 39 years ago after the death of her husband, Charles G. Schertle, who worked in receiving at the Point Breeze plant of the Western Electric Co.
The former Anna H. Klaus was a native of Baltimore who was educated in parochial schools.
She and her twin sister -- they married brothers -- worked at the well-known restaurant on North Charles Street, and her twin, Marguerite Schertle, is still a waitress there after 45 years in the job.
In Virginia, Mrs. Schertle was a member of Our Lady of Mount Carmel Church and its St. Anne's Guild. She was also a member of two senior citizens groups, the Autumn Club and the Lively Ones.
In addition to Mrs. Schertle's sister, she is survived by a daughter, Marie S. Kelly of Newport News; two sons, Joseph H. Schertle of Hampton and Charles W. Schertle of Millsboro, Del.; eight grandchildren; and four great-grandchildren.
Mother Mary Teresa
Superior general, 104
A Mass of Christian burial for Mother Mary Teresa Shockley, O.S.P., who was 104 and a former superior general of the Oblate Sisters of Providence, will be offered at 7:30 p.m. tomorrow at the chapel of Our Lady of Mount Providence Convent, the motherhouse of her order at 701 Gun Road in Halethorpe.
Mother Teresa, who lived at the convent, died Thursday of a heart ailment at St. Agnes Hospital.
She served as head of the order from 1937 until 1955 and had been vicar general, the second in command, from 1926 to 1937 and again from 1955 until 1960. Until 1977, she also served as librarian and head of grounds maintenance at the motherhouse, where she also supervised the sisters who had yet to take their final vows.
Her other posts at the motherhouse she held included superior of the community. From 1917 until 1926, she was superior of the community and teacher and principal at St. Augustine's School in Washington.
She also taught the elementary grades at St. Frances Academy on East Chase Street, the former site of the motherhouse, during her first assignment in 1916 and again from 1926 to 1934.
She retired in 1989 as a fund-raiser for the work of her order.
The former Helen Shockley was born and reared in Philadelphia and was educated in Catholic schools in Pennsylvania and Virginia and at Villanova University. She entered the Oblate Sisters of Providence in 1913.
She was fond of travel, which her work entailed, and reading.
Mother Teresa is survived by several cousins.
Taught in Baltimore
Services for Frieda Glass, who retired from teaching at Baltimore's City College, will be held at 10 a.m. today at Sol Levinson & Bros. funeral establishment, 6010 Reisterstown Road.
Mrs. Glass, who was 81 and lived on Greenspring Avenue, died Monday of a heart ailment at Sinai Hospital.
She retired in 1973, having taught French at City College since the late 1950s. Earlier, she taught Latin and English in the Baltimore school system.
In the 1940s and 1950s, she managed the family-owned Friedlander's Grocery Store on Bayard Street.
Born in Baltimore, the former Frieda Friedlander was a graduate of Western High School and Goucher College, where she was elected to Phi Beta Kappa. She also studied piano at the Peabody conservatory.
Mrs. Glass was a member of Hadassah and Common Cause, and an Orioles fan whose attention would stay glued to the radio or television during broadcasts of games.
Her marriage to the late Dr. Louis Glass ended in divorce.
She is survived by two sons, Barry Glass of Owings Mills and Dr. Leonard Glass of San Diego; six grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.