Bays' Harbor to report to Blast campJean...


Bays' Harbor to report to Blast camp

Jean Harbor said last night that he has decided to report to the Baltimore Blast training camp tomorrow and begin a five-day tryout with the Major Soccer League team. The Maryland Bays forward said he will accept the Blast's conditions that he must make the team before he can be reimbursed more than $500 for missing four days of work at his job as a chemist in Rockville.

Harbor said he will tell his company today that he plans to resign his position if he makes the Blast. Harbor said he will begin his tryout at a 10 a.m. practice session tomorrow at William Myers Pavilion. Harbor will play with the Blast in an exhibition game against the Cleveland Crunch in Richmond, Va., Saturday night.

Blast coach Kenny Cooper said Saturday that Harbor will be informed after the exhibition game whether or not he has made the team.

* The San Francisco Bay Blackhawks, after a 2-0 victory over Albany in the second leg of their championship series, won the mini-game that followed, 1-0, Saturday night in San Jose, Calif., to claim the American Professional Soccer League title.

San Francisco Bay scored on four of its five penalty kick attempts after 30 minutes of scoreless play in the mini-game. Albany, which had eliminated the league champion Maryland Bays from the playoffs, made three.


Switzerland's Jakob Hlasek defeated John McEnroe, 7-6 (7-4), 6-0, 6-3, yesterday to win the Swiss Indoor tennis tournament in Basel, Switzerland. Hlasek, the No. 6 seed, took less than 2 1/2 hours to beat the eighth-seeded McEnroe.

McEnroe, the defending champion, started well. He broke Hlasek's service in the first game and used his strong serve to maximum effect. But after a closely fought tie-breaker, McEnroe faltered. Hlasek, ranked 18th in the world, improved his returns and broke McEnroe's serve three times in the second set.

McEnroe regained form early in the third set but was upset by a line call in the fourth game. Hlasek took advantage to break McEnroe's service and gain a 3-1 lead.

* Frederic Fontang of France rallied to beat top-seeded Emilio Sanchez of Spain, 1-6, 6-3, 6-3, and win the Palermo (Sicily) ATP tournament. Fontang appeared outclassed in the first set, losing in less than a half-hour. But in the second, Fontang surprised Sanchez, repeatedly charging the net and taking control of the match.

* Monica Seles needed only 65 minutes to beat Mary Joe Fernandez, 6-3, 6-0, in the final of the Nokia Masters women's tournament in Essen, Germany. Seles, ranked No. 1 in the world, traded serves with Fernandez for the first six games. But, after that, Seles was in command, winning the final nine games.

It was Seles' second championship at the Noika Masters. She also won in 1989.

* Top-seeded Manuela Maleeva-Fragniere of Switzerland defeated No. 2 Leila Meskhi of the Soviet Union, 4-6, 6-3, 6-4, to win the Bayonne (France) Open women's tournament. Maleeva ended the match on her first match point on an unforced error on Meskhi's passing shot.

* Larisa Savchenko of the Soviet Union won the St. Petersburg (U.S.S.R.) Cup women's tournament, defeating Germany's Barbara Rittner, 3-6, 6-3, 6-4. Rittner won the Wimbledon girls' singles title this year. Savchenko is one of the Soviets' top players. The tournament is the only WTA event in the Soviet Union. It was held in Moscow in 1989 and 1990.


Murray Craven scored the winning goal and Pelle Eklund had two assists, as the Philadelphia Flyers defeated the Washington Capitals, 4-3, in Philadelphia to close out the NHL exhibition season. The Capitals finished with a 4-4-1 mark.

Washington tied the game, 3-3, on Jeff Greenlaw's goal midway through the second period, but Craven scored the game-winner at 12:54 of the middle period.

* Unsafe ice at the Charlotte (N.C.) Coliseum forced officials to cancel last night's NHL exhibition between the Los Angeles Kings and New York Rangers. Some 10,000 fans were sent home at 6:18 p.m., more than an hour after the scheduled 5 p.m. start. They were told refunds would be available starting Wednesday.

It was the second NHL game in three days canceled because of poor ice conditions. A game was called off Friday night in St. Petersburg, Fla., between the Boston Bruins and New York Islanders.

Semi-pro football

The Baltimore Bears defeated the Metro Bulls, 20-7, at Eastern High in Washington. The Bears were led by quarterback Ron Meehan, who was 16 of 28 passing for 166 yards and three touchdowns. Two of the touchdowns were to Mark Ebenhardinger for 11 and 12 yards. The third pass, a 2-yarder, was to Dave Jackson.

Running back Terry Minor (Chesapeake-BC) carried the ball 14 times for 111 yards. The Bears return to action again Saturday (7 p.m.) against the Arbutus Big Red at Cardinal Gibbons High.

College football

An Auburn official said it was important for the school quickly to address accusations that football players received money and other illegal benefits. But coach Pat Dye wasn't talking yesterday.

In his weekly news conference, Dye was expected to address the claims made by two of his former players, Eric Ramsey and Alex Strong. But Dye would only take questions about the Tennessee game and next week's contest against Southern Mississippi.

Copyright © 2021, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad