* The Cubs didn't figure to make much of an attempt to re-sign P Rick Sutcliffe after a couple of injury-filled seasons, but he may have changed their minds with a strong performance in his 6 starts since coming off the disabled list. He's 3-1 with a 2.21 ERA in those 6 games.
* Just to put the recent 13-strikeout performance by converted Indians reliever Doug Jones into perspective, only 2 other pitchers -- Nolan Ryan and Dwight Gooden -- have struck out more than 13 in a game this year. Jones has made 3 major-league starts since he made the transition from stopper to starter, and he has won them all.
* Angels reserve OF Dave Gallagher has 29 RBI this year, and 14 of them have come against the Orioles and White Sox, the 2 teams that got rid of him last year.
* Cecil Fielder and Jose Canseco have made this only the third season since 1970 that 2 American Leaguers have hit more than 40 home runs in the same season. Reggie Jackson (41) and Ben Oglivie (41) in 1980 and Mark McGwire (49) and George Bell (47) in 1987.
* White Sox C Carlton Fisk is 1-for-40 since Sept. 12 -- his average falling from .265 to .243 -- but the club apparently will pick up the 1992 option on his contract. "I would think so," manager Jeff Torborg told the Chicago Tribune. "I don't get involved in contracts, but I haven't given it any other thought."