A South County man who told police he was under the influence of PCPand LSD has been ordered held on a $750,000 bond after police charged him with attempting to murder his wife and 7-month-old son and going on a rampage through his Harwood neighborhood.

Charles Steven Kauhfahl, 34, was being held yesterday in the county detention center.

His common-law wife, 40-year-old Jacqueline Mayhew of the 4700 block of Flanders Lane, was taken to Prince George's Hospital Shock Trauma Center after police found her in the bedroom of the couple's trailer with severe head wounds. Lying next to her on the bed was their son, Steven, who was taken to D.C. Children's Center with severe head wounds.

Neither hospital would comment yesterday on their conditions. Police spokesman Officer V. Richard Molloy said they were still alive yesterday afternoon.

According to police reports, Kauhfahl burst into two trailers around 2 a.m. and attacked the residents with his fists and the butt of a rifle he took from the wall of one of the homes.

One of those assaulted, Howard Moore, said he was asleep when he heard someone come crashing through his front door.

"I didn't know what to do," he said. "I punched him, and it was like hitting a brick wall."

Moore, 78, said Kauhfahl, whom he recognized from the neighborhood, punched him back. Moore crawled under the kitchen table.

"I called my son," he said. "And he grabbed him and they started to fight."

Moore said Kauhfahl was armed with a shotgun, whichpolice say was taken from the nearby home of Robert White.

Reports say Kauhfahl kicked in the front door and beat White and his wife, Lori Lee, with his fists. He then took a .12-gauge shotgun that was hanging on the wall and began hitting their daughter, Betty Joe White,with the gun.

Lori Lee and Betty Joe White, Howard and Robert Moore were treated at and released from Calvert Memorial Hospital.

After Kauhfahl left the Moore home, police found him walking nude down Flanders Lane. They found his wife and son after they arrested him and went to check on his family.

Police said Kauhfahl kicked and punched county police Officer John Ignatavious as Ignatavious as was trying to subdue him. Ignatavious was released from Anne Arundel MedicalCenter after being treated for a dislocated wrist.

Kauhfahl was also charged with two counts of burglary and seven counts of battery, police said.

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad