Cosmic Cocktail in 2 weeks: Get your ticket today before they sell out.

Aberdeen goes OT for 20-12 win over Edgewood


ABERDEEN -- Edgewood kept Demont Blackmon bottled up for four quarters last night, but the swift senior tailback broke away on the first play of overtime to lead No. 12-ranked Aberdeen to a 20-12 victory over the No. 13 Rams.

The showdown between two of Harford County's top-ranked teams ended regulation play in a 12-12 tie, as the Edgewood defense held Blackmon to 60 yards on 15 carries. He had rushed for a total of 430 yards in his first two games.

The Rams scored first when Lawrence Worthington fielded a punt at the Eagles' 37 and raced into the end zone. Charles Harris blocked the extra-point attempt.

Worthington was a two-way standout for the Rams, scoring two touchdowns and making two key defensive plays. He intercepted a pass from Tito Coley inside the 20 and recovered an Eagles fumble, each time halting Aberdeen threats.

Aberdeen scored its first touchdown with 4:53 left in the first quarter when Coley raced 81 yards on an option play.

Blackmon was held to negative rushing yardage until he broke for two big gains of 30 and 18 yards in the final minute of the first half. He scored from the 5 to give Aberdeen a 12-6 lead as the half ended.

On the first play of the second half, Worthington took a handoff up the middle, broke a tackle and raced 53 yards to score. The two-point attempt failed, leaving the score tied.

Neither team mounted a threat in the third quarter.

"It was just a straight-up defensive game," said Aberdeen coach Macon Tucker. "Our defense was on the field more than the offense."

In overtime, in which each team gets the ball at the opponent's 10 and gets four plays to score, Aberdeen won the toss and sent Blackmon over the right side on the first play. Adric Turner, a 200-pound sophomore running back, ran for the two-point conversion.

Ron Frink, a 6-foot-3, 240-pound senior, intercepted a Keith Kimmel pass on the third play of Edgewood's overtime possession to end the game. Frink led the Eagles defense with 13 tackles.

"Our defense kept us in the game," said Tucker. "They bent, but they didn't break. It's tough to play C. Milton Wright and Edgewood back to back like this, but we came to play."

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad