Early bird tickets for Baltimore’s BEST party on sale now!

Gun shop suspect still sought Seven of 8 suspects in robbery of gun shop, killing of owner, in custody.


Then there was one.

City police investigating the murder last week of a gun shop owner and the attempted murder of a customer during an armed robbery that netted more than 40 handguns said only one of the eight men charged in the case remains at large.

Kevin Terrell Brown, 18, of the 5900 block of Radecke Ave. in the Cedonia section, who was charged in a warrant last week, is the last of the group of eight suspects still at large, police said. Each of the city's nine district stations is involved in the search.

The eight men are charged with first-degree murder, attempted murder, armed robbery, and using a handgun in the commission a felony in the Wednesday robbery of the Northeast Gun Shop in the 4900 block of Belair Road. Shop owner Charles E. "Eddie" Scheuerman, 53, was killed, and a customer, Michael Berman, 42, of Columbia, was wounded.

The seventh arrest took place about 8:30 a.m. yesterday. James Carlton Blackwell Jr., 23, of the 2200 block of W. Baltimore St., was taken into custody without incident as he walked out the front door of his home.

Police said Blackwell, who also had been charged in a warrant last week, was held overnight at the Western District station without bail pending a bail review hearing today in District Court.

Lawrence Bell Jr., 38, of the 2300 block of Druid Hill Ave., was arrested about 1 a.m. Sunday when he surrendered at the Central District.

Saturday morning, Charles Ray Randolph Jr., 22, of the 500 block of Gold St., was arrested at an undisclosed location after police received a tip.

Four men were arrested on the day of the robbery.

They are Ulysses Grant Scott, 22, of the 1800 block of Thomas Ave.; Malcolm Michael Bradford, 21, of the 2300 block of Brookfield Ave.; his brother, Keith Bradford, 21, of the 2900 block Pendoll Road; and Rodney D. Brown, 23, of the 1200 block of Clendenin St.

Like Blackwell, all the suspects are being held without bail in various police district stations or at the Baltimore City Detention Center.

Shortly before noon last Wednesday, two men entered the gun shop and told Scheuerman they wanted to look at some handguns.

While they browsed, two other men, one carrying a sawed-off shotgun and the other a sawed-off .22-caliber rifle, entered and approached Scheuerman.

Before the owner could say anything, the man with the shotgun shot Scheuerman in the chest. The other man shot Berman in the back.

Scheuerman died en route to Franklin Square Hospital. Berman is recovering at Johns Hopkins Hospital.

The four holdup men fled the store with 43 revolvers and semi-automatic handguns.

One of four getaway cars used in the robbery was followed by a police officer to the 1200 block of Clendenin St. off Druid Hill Avenue, where the first four men were arrested after a brief standoff.

Police said eight of the weapons taken in the robbery have been recovered.

The robbery appeared to have been committed to get powerful handguns to be used in the illegal drug trade or to sell to drug dealers, investigators said.

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad