Loyola, Maryland repeat history with a 1-1 tie


Loyola College and the University of Maryland had trouble yesterday living with a 1-1 soccer tie after battling for 120 minutes at Curley Field.

The Greyhounds (0-3-1) felt they got off more than enough shots (18-9 advantage over Maryland) to get their first victory this season.

They also felt fate turned against them when the Terrapins tied the game on a penalty kick by Morry Steinbach with 10 minutes, 25 seconds left in regulation.

Maryland (0-2-1) was upset because it came to Baltimore confident of beating Loyola but couldn't get the job done because of several defensive lapses.

Terps coach Alden Shattuck said he didn't like his goalkeeper, Carmine Isaaco, being forced to make nine saves against Loyola just to escape with a tie.

"If we were playing against Virginia in the ACC, I could see it," said Shattuck. "But in a game like this, Isaaco shouldn't be put under that kind of pressure. We were lucky to get a tie with the mistakes we made in the back. We left people free in the back and got caught out of position several times. I guess you could say we're inexperienced playing as a team."

Maryland assistant coach Steve Powers summed up the feelings of the Maryland team: "There's no doubt we thought we were going to win this game."

But maybe Shattuck, Powers and the Terps would have been prepared for a tie if they had looked at the history of this series over the past seven years.

Maryland and Loyola had played to three ties in that time, including a 2-2 draw last year in College Park.

Now there are four ties in eight years, with the Terps winning the other four meetings.

Steinbach got a chance to tie the game on the penalty kick when Loyola's Chris Sim was called for tripping Maryland forward Andy Zamora.

Steinbach converted the penalty kick when he drove the ball just past Loyola goalkeeper Shawn Boehmcke's fingertips on the right side.

Loyola had taken a 1-0 lead 12:15 into the second half on an 18-yard shot by Mark Hopper that skimmed the crossbar and went into the net.

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad