Cosmic Cocktail in 2 weeks: Get your ticket today before they sell out.

Mabel Akehurst, civic volunteer, dies at 102Services...


Mabel Akehurst, civic volunteer, dies at 102

Services for Mabel Bonner Akehurst, who was still an officer in the United Daughters of the Confederacy at her death at the age of 102, will be held at 11 a.m. tomorrow at Henry W. Jenkins and Sons, 4905 York Road.

Mrs. Akehurst, who lived on Park Heights Avenue, died Sunday at Good Samaritan Hospital of a heart ailment.

She was registrar of Baltimore Chapter No. 8 of the United Daughters of the Confederacy and had earlier been active in volunteer work and in musical programs.

Born in Baltimore, the former Mabel Yost studied voice at the Peabody Conservatory. A soprano, she also sang in operas there.

She studied the piano organ and choir-directing privately and was a member of the Chesapeake Chapter of the American Guild of Organists who served for many years as a church organist.

Also, she did volunteer musical work, leading a group of soldiers in song before they boarded a train for duty in World War I, playing the piano in USO shows or singing at nearby military posts during World War II.

During the second war, she also served as music chairman for American Legion Auxiliary programs and as organist at Memorial Day programs.

During World War I, she was also active as a volunteer in the Blue Cross, which looked out for the well being of military horses and, during World War II, she was a Red Cross volunteer.

She won several citations for her World War II work.

Dr. James S. Akehurst, her husband, was a general practitioner before his death in 1960.

Her survivors include a stepdaughter, Marian H. Akehurst of Westminster, a stepgranddaughter, a niece and a nephew. A Mass of Christian burial for the Rev. William A. Nayden, C.SS.R., a native of Annapolis who had served many parishes, was a historian and served as an official of a diocese in the Dominican Republic, will be offered at 10 a.m. tomorrow at St. Mary's Roman Catholic Church in Annapolis.

Father Nayden, who was 66 and had been an associate pastor at St. Joseph's Church in Rochester, N.Y., for the past six months, died Sunday in a hospital in Buffalo, N.Y., after a heart attack. He had gone to Buffalo to celebrate a funeral Mass.

He had served churches in Boston, Philadelphia, Erie, Pa., Tobyhanna, Pa., and Buffalo, N.Y., before being assigned to Rochester. He often gave a series of talks, known as missions, at other churches, in Spanish as well as in English.

From his ordination in 1949 as a Redemptorist priest until the early 1960s, he served as a missionary in the Dominican Republic. He returned there to serve from 1987 until 1989 as vicar general, or second in command, of the diocese of San Juan de la Maguana.

From 1975 until 1980, he was stationed in Rome as a member of the Redemptorist Historical Institute. He edited the journal of St. John Neumann, who was canonized in 1977.

A native of Annapolis and a graduate of St. Mary's Elementary School there, he attended Redemptorist seminaries. He graduated from St. Mary's College in Northeast, Pa., and Mount St. Alphonsus in Esopus, N.Y. He earned a master's degree in history at the University of Scranton and did graduate work at the State University of New York at Binghamton.

He is survived by a sister, Margaret M. Nayden of Annapolis; three brothers, Robert F. and J. Frank Nayden, both of Baltimore, and John P. Nayden of New Smyrna Beach, Fla.; and many nieces and nephews.

Capt. Max C. Weber

Retired chief pilot

A memorial service for Capt. Max C. Weber, who retired as chief pilot for Pan American World Airways in 1968, will be held at 3 p.m. today at the Barranco and Sons Funeral Home, Ritchie Highway and Robinson Road, Severna Park.

Captain Weber, who moved from Annapolis to Severna Park in 1987, died of pneumonia Monday at North Arundel Hospital. He was 82.

In 1935, he was the navigator on the first of the China Clippers, the first commercial passenger flight across the Pacific.

He joined Pan American in 1933 and flew early Martin M-130 flying boats. During World War II, he continued working for Pan American but on contract with the Naval Air Transport Command, across the Atlantic and in Latin America. He was designated as a master pilot of ocean flying boats.

In addition to flying out of New York and Miami, he served as chief airline pilot at airports in Latin America, Hong Kong and London.

Though his total flying time amounted to four full years in the air, he never damaged a plane. In 1985, he and his wife were passengers aboard a 747 that crossed the Pacific in celebration of the 50th anniversary of the 1935 flight.

Born in England but reared in western Massachusetts, he was a graduate of the Berkshire School and, in 1931, of Yale University.

He served in the U.S. Navy, earning his wings at the Pensacola Naval Air Station, before becoming an airline pilot.

Captain Weber was a member of the Yale Club, the International Order of Characters and the Clipper Pioneers.

He is survived by his wife of 38 years, the former Leigh Hanlon; three daughters, Jill Weber Svahn of Severna Park, Michelle Weber Hebbeln of Denver and Lisa Martelle Weber of Laramie, Wyo.; two sisters, Vera Peto of Pinole, Calif., and Marguerite Jones of Venice, Fla.; and two grandchildren.

Anthony N. Raspi

Machine-shop supervisor

A Mass of Christian burial for Anthony N. Raspi, a retired machine-shop supervisor who had been active as a soccer instructor and coach, will be offered at 10 a.m. tomorrow at the Roman Catholic Church of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, 8501 Loch Raven Blvd.

Mr. Raspi, who was 59 and lived on Pleasant Plains Road in Towson, died Monday at St. Joseph Hospital of kidney failure after being on dialysis for 2 1/2 years.

He retired in 1985 as a supervisor in a machine shop at the Bethlehem Steel Corp. shipyard at Sparrows Point, where he had worked since 1949.

Born in Baltimore, he was a graduate of Patterson Park High School.

From 1965 until 1980 he had been a soccer coach and teacher with youth teams of the Loch Raven Recreation Program, the Loch Raven Optimist Club, of which he was a member, and with independent teams.

In 1969, he accompanied two teams the Optimists sent to England to play a series of games there. He had also been active in raising money and making arrangements for the trip.

Though he had never played organized soccer himself, several players he coached later played for the Blast and the Bays.

He is survived by his wife, the former Theresa M. Contini; two daughters, Cynthia A. Raspi of Towson and Diane F. Raspi of Parkville; a son, Mark A. Raspi of Baltimore; two brothers, Caesar Raspe and Donald Raspi, both of Baltimore; three sisters, Mary Bielut and Theresa Shrieber, both of Baltimore, and Angelina Sweringen of Daytona Beach, Fla.; and three grandchildren.

Sherwood Keilholtz

Sales manager

A memorial service for Sherwood W. Keilholtz, a former manager of the Baltimore office of Walter Kidde & Co., will be held at 11 a.m. tomorrow at St. John's Lutheran Church in Atlanta.

Mr. Keilholtz, who was 66, died of cancer Sunday at his home in Stone Mountain, Ga.

A native of Philadelphia who attended Temple University, he started working for the firefighting equipment company in Philadelphia and moved to Severna Park in 1963.

He served as a salesman and then as local manager before being sent to Atlanta as regional sales manager in 1974. He retired in May as a divisional sales manager for another company, ATOCHEM, North America.

He served in the Coast Guard during World War II, participating in five landings in Europe.

He is survived by his wife, the former Meredith Shumaker; two sons, John David Keilholtz of Atlanta and Harry Robert Keilholtz of Doraville, Ga.; and a brother, Robert L. Keilholtz of Roslyn, Pa.

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad