Early bird tickets for Baltimore’s BEST party on sale now!

Samuel George, explorer, dies at 76Services for...


Samuel George, explorer, dies at 76

Services for Samuel Knox George III, an explorer from Ruxton who found the last rookery of the extinct great auk, will be at noon tomorrow at the Episcopal Church of the Good Shepherd, on Boyce Avenue in Ruxton.

Mr. George, who was 76 and living at Hilton Head, S.C., died Wednesday at the Hilton Head Hospital.

Mr. George had fallen off a ladder outside his home two months earlier and died without regaining consciousness.

A native of Ruxton, he attended the old Blue Bird Elementary School, where he became friends with Thomas Gilliard, nephew of the headmistress. He and Mr. Gilliard later discovered skeletons of the last great auks, a large flightless bird that has been extinct since 1844.

In 1933, Mr. George graduated from the Gilman School, already fascinated by ornithology. He gave his senior speech on the great horned owl and brought one along in a canary cage.

In the summer of 1936, while studying at Franklin and Marshall College in Lancaster, Pa., Mr. George and Mr. Gilliard set off to find the last rookery of the great auk. Mr. Gilliard, then an ornithologist with the Museum of Natural History in New York City, ignored the advice of his superiors in heading for Funk Island off the northeast coast of Newfoundland.

On the remote, wind-swept island, they discovered the rocky rookery. They retrieved enough bones and skulls to reconstruct complete skeletons and gave them to the museum.

When the museum's ornithology department celebrated its 100th anniversary in 1983, Mr. George was invited back to see the skeletons on display.

In 1938, Mr. George received his bachelor's degree and began training as an airline pilot. He flew for the Africa-Orient division of Pan American World Airways during World War II.

The airline was then under government contract and provided supplies and carried passengers across the South Atlantic to Africa and India.

As a pilot, he survived two accidents, crashing once into the Caribbean near Trinidad and making an emergency landing in Africa when his plane malfunctioned.

Mr. George liked to tell a story of how he befriended a group of natives, who surrounded the plane with spears, by offering them cartons of cigarettes.

In 1944, he married Margaret Rastetter of Ohio. After the war, the couple moved to Forest Hills, N.Y., where Mr. George entered the yarn trade.

He later became manager of the textile department for Uniroyal Inc. in New York.

In the mid-1980s, Mr. George retired and moved with his wife to Hilton Head. He enjoyed watching birds and taking nature walks in the quiet community.

He is survived by his wife and his sister, Caroline Williams of Ruxton. Philip Earl Frohlich, a former professor and retired research analyst for the Social Security Administration, died Friday of liver complications at Union Memorial Hospital. He was 76.

Mr. Frohlich, who taught sociology at colleges in the Midwest for almost a decade before coming to Baltimore, worked for 15 years with the Social Security Administration in Woodlawn.

Born in Souris, N.D., near the Canadian border, he attended public schools in Camp Crook, S.D. His ashes will be buried at Fairview Cemetery in Camp Crook.

He studied at the University of Wisconsin at Madison and received his bachelor's degree in English in 1936. Two years later, he received his master's degree in philosophy.

In 1940, he married Jean Denison. During World War II, Mr. Frohlich served for three years as a weather observer with the U.S. Army Air Corps in the South Pacific.

Returning to Wisconsin in 1945, he continued his doctoral studies. He received his Ph.D. in sociology from the University of Wisconsin in 1952 and spent a year teaching there before taking a position with Ohio University in Athens, Ohio. He later taught at Black Hills State College in Spearfish, S.D.

In 1962, he ended his teaching career and took a job with the Social Security Administration in South Dakota. He was promoted the next year and moved to Baltimore to work in the disabilities statistics division.

He spent much of his retirement after 1977 writing and publishing a book of poetry, "The Dark Wind: Songs of Aging."

He also enjoyed writing letters to The Sun and had more than a dozen published in the last decade. His last letter, on the riots in Washington's Mount Pleasant section, was published May 29, just as he was hospitalized in critical condition.

In addition to his wife, he is survived by two daughters, Anne of Newberg, Ore., and Mary of Mount Rainer; a son, Cliff of Austin, Texas; a sister, Kathryn Vail of Castro Valley, Calif.; and five grandchildren.

No funeral services are planned. The family suggests memorial donations to the Friends of the Libraries of the Johns Hopkins University, North Charles and 34th streets, Baltimore 21218.

Robert H. Sippel


A memorial service for Robert H. Sippel, a retired Baltimore architect, will be at 1:30 p.m. today at Ascension Evangelical Lutheran Church, 7601 York Road.

Mr. Sippel died of heart failure Sept. 1 at his home in Port St. Lucie, Fla. He was 74.

A son of William and Marie Parker Sippel, the Baltimore native graduated from City College in 1945. He received his architectural degree from McCoy College, then the extension school of the Johns Hopkins University.

Mr. Sippel was a partner in the former Mandras architecture firm until he retired in 1981 and moved to Florida.

He married his second wife, the late Doris Hampshire Sippel, in 1961. She died six years ago.

Mr. Sippel is survived by two daughters, Betsy Keldie of Palm Beach Gardens, Fla., and Lindy Park of Baltimore; a brother, William Sippel of New Smyrna, Fla.; a sister, Mary Adele Crigler of Wellesley, Mass.; and three grandchildren.

The family suggests that memorial donations be made to Alpha Phi Foundation Cardiac Aid, 1930 Sherman Ave., Evanston, Ill. 60201.

Kathleen Addis

Retired crafts instructor

Services for Kathleen R. Addis, a retired instructor for the Maryland Correctional Institution for Women in Jessup, will be at 11 a.m. tomorrow at the Dean C. Whitmarsh Funeral Home in Fairchance, Pa.

Mrs. Addis, 86, died of a heart attack Saturday at her home in Smithfield, Pa. She taught art and crafts at the Jessup institution for 20 years before retiring in 1962.

The former Kathleen Whetzler was born and educated in Brownsville, Pa. In 1922, she married Clarence W. Addis Sr., an inspector at the Westinghouse Electronics Corporation and later settled in Severn. Mr. Addis died in 1978.

Mrs. Addis is survived by a daughter, Virginia Kahler of Glen Burnie; a son, Thomas Addis of Smithfield; 13 grandchildren; 19 great-grandchildren; and five great-great-grandchildren.

Sister Mary Benitia

Music teacher

A Mass of Christian burial for Sister Mary Benitia Schatz, S.S.N.D., a music teacher, will be offered at 10 a.m. today at Villa Assumpta, 6401 N. Charles St.

Sister Benitia, who was living at the Maria Health Center in Villa Assumpta, the motherhouse of the School Sisters of Notre Dame, died Friday of a blood clot, following a long illness. She was 86.

She was born Margaret Mary Schatz, a daughter of George and Mary Ellen Doyle Schatz of Catonsville.

In 1910, she began her Roman Catholic education at St. Mark's Catholic School in Catonsville. Seventy-five years later, she ended her teaching career there.

As a child, she excelled in music. She later studied the subject at Catholic University in Washington, receiving her bachelor's degree in 1937 and her master's degree in 1943.

In 1925, she entered the School Sisters of Notre Dame order. She professed her vows four years later.

Sister Benitia began her teaching career in 1927 at St. John's Catholic School in Frederick.

She joined the faculty of the Institute of Notre Dame in Baltimore in 1937. For 16 years, she taught music, led the high school choir, organized recitals and instructed candidates for the order.

In 1953, she returned to St. Mark's Catholic School. She taught music there until retiring in 1985.

During her teaching career, Sister Benitia composed several choir pieces and also gave private piano and organ lessons. She organized hundreds of school performances, liturgical services and piano recitals.

She is survived by a sister, Helen Schatz of Baltimore; a nephew and several nieces.

Her order has suggested that contributions be made to the Retirement Fund of the School Sisters of Notre Dame, 6401 N. Charles St., Baltimore 21212.

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad