* Coach: Joe Krivak, fifth season (18-25-2).
* 1990 Record: 6-5-1.
* Nickname: Terrapins.
* Key returning players: Larry Webster, Sr., DT; Frank Wycheck, So., H-Back; Troy Jackson, Sr., RB; Mark Mason, So., RB; Lubo Zizakovic, Sr., DT; Dan DeArmas, Sr., P-PK; Mitch Suplee, Sr., C; Scott Rosen, Sr., DB; Gene Thomas, Sr., SE.
* Key newcomers: Jade Dubis, Fr., OL; Dave Hack, Fr., OL; Corey Holobetz, Fr., TE; John Kaleo, Jr., QB; Larry Washington, Fr., RB.
* Strengths: Wycheck is coming off a freshman season in which he caught a school-record 58 passes. The Terps have a stable of young running backs.
* Weaknesses: The linebacking corps was decimated by graduation. Jim Sandwisch may not be able to provide what Scott Zolak did at quarterback.
* Comment: The Terps face a testy schedule. As Krivak says, "I think the non-conference schedule is the big difference between us and the rest of the teams in the league. Most everybody else seems to have two 'gimmies.' "
Sept. 7 -- Virginia, noon
Sept. 14 -- Syracuse, 7 p.m.
Sept. 21 -- West Virginia, 4 p.m.
Oct. 5 -- at Pittsburgh, 1:30 p.m.
Oct. 12 -- at Georgia Tech, 1 p.m.
Oct. 19 -- at Wake Forest, 1 p.m.
Oct. 26 -- Duke (HC), 1:30 p.m.
Nov. 2 -- at North Carolina, noon
Nov. 9 -- Penn State at Memorial Stad., 1:30 p.m.
Nov. 16 -- at Clemson, noon
Nov. 23 -- at N.C. State, 1 p.m.
* Coach: George Chaump, second season (5-6-0).
* 1990 Record: 5-6.
* Nickname: Midshipmen.
* Affiliation: NCAA Division I, Independent.
* Key returning players: Michael Davis, Sr., OL; B.J. Mason, Sr., SE; Brian Ellis, Jr., QB; Jason Van Matre, So., QB; Duke Ingraham, Jr., TB; Brad Stramanak, So., FB; Bob Kuberski, Jr., LB; Byron Ogden, Sr., LB; Mark Ellis, Jr., LB; Rodney Purifoy, DB.
* Key newcomers: Tom Pritchard, Fr., WR; Michael Jefferson, Fr., WR; Ty Elmendorf, Fr., WR; Chris Hart, Fr., DB; Grover Favors, Fr., DB; Marlin Green, Fr., DB; Kevin Hickman, Fr., TE; Eric Intihar, Fr., LB.
* Strengths: The defense has experience on the perimeter, especially with Ogden, Ellis and Kuberski at outside linebacker. The receivers, led by Mason, are capable.
* Weaknesses: The leading quarterbacks, Brian Ellis and Jason Van Matre, didn't take a snap at that position last season. None of the top three candidates at tailback had any plays at that position.
* Comment: Despite the inexperience of its quarterbacks and tailbacks, Navy expects increased offensive production. Why? The offensive line is markedly improved, in terms of experience, size and strength.
Sept. 7 -- Ball State, 7 p.m.
Sept. 14 -- at Virginia, 7 p.m.
Sept. 21 -- William & Mary, 1:30 p.m.
Sept. 28 -- Bowling Green, 1:30 p.m.
Oct. 12 -- Air Force, 1:30 p.m.
Oct. 19 -- at Temple, noon
Oct. 26 -- Delaware (HC), 1:30 p.m.
Nov. 2 -- at Notre Dame, 4 p.m.
Nov. 9 -- at Tulane, 7 p.m.
Nov. 23 -- Wake Forest, 1:30 p.m.
Dec. 7 -- Army at Philadelphia, 1:30 p.m.
* Coach: Sanders Shiver, third season (10-9-1).
* 1990 Record: 3-6.
* Nickname: Bulldogs.
* Affiliation: NCAA Division II, Central Intercollegiate Athletic Association.
* Key returning players: Butch Wilson, Sr., RB; Andre Crawley, Sr., OG; Scott Messick, Sr., OG; Robert Anderson, Sr., LB; Ed Gregory, Jr., LB; Paul Garrett, Jr., LB; Scott Long, Sr., DT; Steve Smith, Jr., CB; Gary Beckford, So., FS; Jason Herold, Sr., P; Mark Fitzpatrick, Sr., PK.
* Key newcomers: Keino Fitzpatrick, Fr., QB; Arthur Wigfall, Fr., OL; Ed Gajewski, Fr., OL; Craig Mitchell, Jr., RB (transfer from Chowan JC); Mike Maddox, Jr., LB (transfer from Montgomery-Rockville JC).
Strengths: The Bulldogs have one of the best kicking games in Division II, four three-year starters on defense and a strong recruiting class. Anticipating a heavy workload, Wilson is ready to become the school's all-time leading rusher.
* Weaknesses: Rich Thomas, the 1990 starter at quarterback, did not return for his senior season, and Shiver could end up using punter Herold under center. A high number of returning starters is misleading, because there are only 25 returning lettermen.
* Comment: After opening with two home games, the Bulldogs play five straight in Virginia and North Carolina. They need to age in a hurry, especially at quarterback, to win on the road in the CIAA, which is scrapping its two-division alignment this year.
Sept. 7 -- Livingstone, 1 p.m.
Sept. 14 -- Hampton, 1 p.m.
Sept. 21 -- at North Carolina Central, 7 p.m.
Sept. 28 -- at Virginia State, 1:30 p.m.
Oct. 5 -- at Virginia Union, 7 p.m.
Oct. 12 -- at Norfolk State, 1:30 p.m.
Oct. 19 -- at Elizabeth City State, 2 p.m.
Oct. 26 -- American International (HC), 1 p.m.
Nov. 9 -- Central Connecticut, 1 p.m.
* Coach: Ricky Diggs, first season.
* 1990 Record: 1-10.
* Nickname: Golden Bears.
* Affilitation: NCAA Division I-AA, Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference.
* Key returning players: Nathan Ayers, Sr., RB; Glenny Moore, Sr., WB; Sean Nelson, Sr., WB; David Partin, So., QB; James Ledbetter, Sr., OT; Eddie Hill, Jr., CB; Reno Lucas, Sr., LB; Robert Johnson, Sr., CB; Matthew Steeple, So., DT; Vincent Ward, Sr., LB; Michael Andrews, Sr., P-PK.
* Key newcomers: Michael Moore, Fr., QB; Donte Carter, Fr., WB; Ernest Johnson, Fr., OG; Jeffrey Myers, Fr., OT; Monjah Brown, Fr., DT.
* Strengths: There are 17 returning starters, but several of them lost jobs to some incoming players with more talent. The program has a new agenda under rookie coach Diggs, who is used to working at the Division I-A level. There is an abundance of talent at the skill positions.
* Weaknesses: The veterans were outscored 412-81 last year, and the Golden Bears need to get bigger and stronger. A few fifth-year seniors have seven wins to show for the last four seasons, and Diggs has spent much time reshaping attitudes.
* Comment: Morgan State begins a four-game road trip tomorrow, and the last two games in that swing are at Youngstown State and Northern Iowa, Division I-AA playoff teams last year. The Golden Bears last had a winner in 1979, and Diggs is the seventh head coach since then.
Aug. 31 -- North Carolina A&T;, a 26-7 loss
Sept. 7 -- at Norfolk State, 7 p.m.
Sept. 14 -- at Bethune-Cookman, 7 p.m.
Sept. 21 -- at Youngstown State, 7:30 p.m.
Oct. 5 -- at Northern Iowa, 1:30 p.m.
Oct. 12 -- South Carolina State, 1:30 p.m.
Oct. 19 -- Virginia Union (HC), 2 p.m.
Oct. 26 -- at Delaware State, 1 p.m.
Nov. 2 -- at Florida A&M;, 2 p.m.
Nov. 9 -- Western Illinois, 1:30 p.m.
Nov. 16 -- Howard, 3 p.m.
* Coach: Phil Albert, 20th season (116-81-3).
* 1990 Record: 2-9.
* Nickname: Tigers.
* Affiliation: NCAA Division I-AA, Independent.
* Key returning players: Robbie Jackson, Sr., TB; Kevin Howard, Sr., FL; Karl Nieberlein, So., OT; John Loch, So., OT; Gary Worthington, Sr., QB; James Dutton, Sr., LB; Doug Irvin, Jr., DT; Jared Freeze, Sr., LB; Joe Kreisher, Jr., LB; Aaron Bates, So., FS; Jeff Bolser, Sr., P.
* Key newcomers: John Swigart, Fr., FB; Mike Curcio, So., DT (transfer from Nassau CC); Bill Fisher, Jr., DT (transfer from Minnesota); Dan Smith, Jr., LB (transfer from Dean, Mass., JC).
* Strengths: Transfers and true freshman will help shore up a defense that allowed more than 30 points a game last year. Jackson and fullback John O'Neill, injured in the first game a year ago, form a potent backfield, and they have a big, talented line to work behind.
* Weaknesses: For 19 years, Albert stressed a complicated passing attack, but he goes into this season with no experienced quarterback. Seventeen returning starters were pushed around at times last
year, and haven't proved they can win in Division I-AA. The defense is green.
* Comment: The Tigers' youth in 1990 was compounded by injuries and uncertainty about the program's future. A bunker mentality and four straight road games to start the season will help as Towson State seeks its first winning record 1986.
Sept. 14 -- Boston University, 7 p.m.
Sept. 21 -- Delaware State, 7 p.m.
Sept. 28 -- Rhode Island, 1:30 p.m.
Oct. 5 -- Indiana (Pa.), 7 p.m.
Oct. 12 -- at James Madison, 1:30 p.m.
Oct. 19 -- at Northeastern, 12:30 p.m.
Oct. 26 -- at Liberty, 1:30 p.m.
Nov. 2 -- Hofstra (HC), 1:30 p.m.
Nov. 9 -- at Howard, 1:30 p.m.
Nov. 16 -- at Maine, noon
Nov. 23 -- Youngstown State, 1:30 p.m.
* Coach: Dennis Riccio, fifth season (24-17-0).
* 1990 Record: 9-2.
* Nickname: Bobcats.
* Affiliation: NCAA Division III, Independent.
* Key returning players: Rory McTigue, Sr., FB; Mike Jones, Jr., QB; J.R. Bosley, Jr., HB; Jimmy Carter, Jr., WB; Warren Tweedy, Jr., WR; Paul Kumpar, Sr., C; Keith Kierzkowski, Sr., LB; Eric Mongelli, Jr., LB; Ricky Green, Jr., CB; Darius Smith, So., DB.
* Key newcomers: Dave Snyder, Sr., OT (missed 1990 with injury); Steve Gill, Jr., FB (transfer from Ferrum); Joe Holland, Fr., DL; Chris Robertson, Fr., LB; Vince Stofa, Fr., DB.
* Strengths: Counting the reserves, Riccio said the offensive backfield "is as skilled a group of kids as any in the country." He is also high on the defensive backfield. His staff did not sit still after last year's success, and the Bobcats have more than 100 players.
* Weaknesses: The defense graduated five seniors, and four other returning starters on that unit and two more on offense did not return because of academic or personal reasons. The defensive line is completely new, and the offensive line is nearly as unsettled.
* Comment: The ball-control Bobcats fully expect to go 10-0 against a weak schedule and earn their first berth in the Division III playoffs. They fell one game short of that goal last year, dropping the regular season finale to Waynesburg, a team they face at home Nov. 9.
Sept. 7 -- at Grove City, 1:30 p.m.
Sept. 14 -- Catholic, 1:30 p.m.
Sept. 21 -- Thiel, 1:30 p.m.
Sept. 28 -- at Salisbury State, 1:30 p.m.
Oct. 5 -- at Western Connecticut State, 1 p.m.
Oct. 19 -- Mercyhurst (HC), 1:30 p.m.
Oct. 26 -- at Bridgewater (Va.), 1:30 p.m.
Nov. 2 -- Norwich, 1 p.m.
Nov. 9 -- Waynesburg, 1 p.m.
Nov. 16 -- at Charleston Southern, 1 p.m.
* Coach: Jim Margraff, second season (5-4-1).
* 1990 Record: 5-4-1.
* Nickname: Blue Jays.
* Affiliation: NCAA Division III, Centennial Conference.
* Key returning players: Scott Cade, So., QB; John Guglielmo, Jr., QB; Paul Ferreri, Jr., RB; Joe Richards, So., WR; Brad Davis, Sr., OL; Jim Dietz, Jr., OL; Brian Hepting, Sr., FS; Stu Markley, Jr., LB; Ed Lineen, Jr., LB; Eric Williams, Sr., CB.
* Key newcomers: Gary Campbell, Fr., WR; Bob Beach, Fr., RB; John Killar, Fr., RB; Jelani Rucker, Fr., DL; Joe Bushey, Fr., DB.
* Strengths: The players have had a year to acquaint themselves with Margraff's system. The offensive line has all five starters back. Hepting, who leads a fine defensive backfield, and Markley are capable of playing at a higher NCAA level.
* Weaknesses: Cade and Guglielmo shared the quarterback position in 1990, and both need to be more consistent. The defensive line is brand new, and all of the offensive line backups are freshmen. Ferreri, the 1990 workhorse who gained 810 yards, is healing a preseason injury.
* Comment: A third-place finish last year was Hopkins' best since the Centennial Conference was formed in 1983. The Blue Jays rate the best chance of denying Dickinson a fourth straight title, as the 107th edition of Hopkins' football could be the first to win eight games.
Sept. 13 -- Lebanon Valley, 7:30 p.m.
Sept. 20 -- Swarthmore, 7:30 p.m.
Sept. 27 -- at FDU-Madison, 7:30 p.m.
Oct. 5 -- at Gettysburg, 1:30 p.m.
Oct. 12 -- Ursinus, 1:30 p.m.
Oct. 19 -- at Muhlenberg, 1:30 p.m.
Oct. 26 -- Georgetown, 2 p.m.
Nov. 2 -- at Dickinson, 1:30 p.m.
Nov. 9 -- Franklin & Marshall, 1:30 p.m.
Nov. 16 -- at Western Maryland, 1:30 p.m.
* Coach: Joe Rotellini, second season (1-8).
* 1990 Record: 1-8.
* Nickname: Sea Gulls.
* Affiliation: NCAA Division III, Independent.
* Key returning players: Jason Barton, Sr., FB; Scott Cook, Sr., TE; Len Annetta, So., QB; Pierre Copes, Sr., RB; Mark Craemer, Sr., OL; Rich Bowen, Jr., LB; Henry Fehlman, So., DB; Rick Helton, Jr., LB; Dave Stofa, Sr., DT; Joe Tasman, Sr., DE.
* Key newcomers: Roman Keefe, So., OL (transfer from Rocky Mountain, Mont.); Mike Hurley, Fr., DB; Aaron Fox, Fr., DB; Larry Martin, Fr., DB; Kevin Bradford, Fr., DB.
* Strengths: All of last year's offensive starters are back, and Rotellini has been surprised by the cohesion there. There is nearly as much experience on defense. Rotellini's first recruiting class brought in close to 50 new players, and several are talented enough to start.
* Weaknesses: The Sea Gulls lost standout punter-placekicker Bill Schmidt, and the defensive backfield will have at least three first-year starters. The offense didn't score more than two touchdowns in 1990 until Salisbury's lone, season-ending victory.
* Comment: The Sea Gulls were overwhelmed in Rotellini's first season, but a more realistic schedule -- regional power Ferrum and Division II Shepherd are gone -- and improved talent and depth everywhere make a winning record a realistic goal.
Sept. 14 -- at C.W. Post, 1 p.m.
Sept. 21 -- Methodist, 1:30 p.m.
Sept. 28 -- Frostburg State, 1:30 p.m.
Oct. 5 -- Guilford, 1:30 p.m.
Oct. 12 -- at Glassboro State, 2 p.m.
Oct. 19 -- Wagner (HC), 1:30 p.m.
Oct. 26 -- at Montclair State, 1:30 p.m.
Nov. 2 -- Albany State, 1:30 p.m.
Nov. 9 -- at Newport News Apprentice, 1:30 p.m.
Nov. 16 -- at Kean, 1:30 p.m.
* Coach: Dale Sprague, sixth season (10-38-2).
* 1990 Record: 6-3-1.
* Nickname: Green Terrors.
* Affiliation: NCAA Division III, Centennial Conference.
* Key returning players: Eric Frees, Sr., TB; Andy Steckel, Sr., WR; James Martin, Sr., WB; Paul Picchierri, Jr., OT; Todd Wargo, Jr., OG; Jim Webster, Sr., LB; Seth Obetz, Jr., DT; Dennis Walker, So., LB; Gary Carter, So., FS; Ricardo Washington, So., CB.
* Key newcomers: Paul McCord, So., QB (transfer from #i Delaware); Bart Cashman, So., TE (transfer from Shippensburg); Rob Nightingale, Fr., OG; Mark Vergalito, Fr., TB; Mickey Neustadt, Fr., PK.
* Strengths: Frees (3,736 career yards) might be the best running back and Steckel is among the top pass-catchers in Division III. There is an abundance of talented rushers, and Webster leads a defense that has sufficient talent at linebacker and in the backfield.
* Weaknesses: McCord came to camp Aug. 26, and he'll replace a four-year starter at quarterback. Several 1990 contributors did not return to the program, leaving only 28 returning lettermen. The defense returns just three starters, and both lines need more depth.
* Comment: Frees is pursuing an assortment of career rushing records, and without an experienced thrower, he could also set some marks for workload. Coming off their best season since 1979, the Green Terrors must get immediate production from many newcomers.
Sept. 14 -- Albright, 1:30 p.m.
Sept. 21 -- at Gettysburg, 1:30 p.m.
Sept. 28 -- Ursinus, 1:30 p.m.
Oct. 5 -- at Muhlenburg, 1:30 p.m.
Oct. 12 -- Randolph-Macon (HC), 1:30 p.m.
Oct. 19 -- at Dickinson, 1:30 p.m.
Oct. 26 -- Franklin & Marshall, 1:30 p.m.
Nov. 2 -- at Lebanon Valley, 1:30 p.m.
Nov. 9 -- at Swarthmore, 1:30 p.m.
Nov. 16 -- Johns Hopkins, 1:30 p.m.