* Francis Scott Key (0-10) -- Senior leadership is sparse, wit just 6 seniors on the team, and the likely starting QB is sophomore Matt Haines. With 4 possible state tournament teams on their Monocacy Valley Athletic League schedule, the Eagles face an uphill climb.
* Liberty (4-6) -- Liberty has 1 starter back -- DB/SE Gray Johnson -- but coach John Magee hopes the strong showing defensively last year (23 forced turnovers) is something to build on. It's doubtful the Lions can break into the upper echelon of the Central Maryland Conference.
* North Carroll (1-9) -- The Panthers could be on the way up. Two-way standouts FB/LB Jason Small and RB/DB Ronnie Miller are back. New QB Kyle Blackburn will have SE Wade Zufall, the county's top receiver last season, as a primary target. Zufall also was the leading punter in the county last year with a 36.7 average.
* South Carroll (4-6) -- South Carroll has QB Joe Goodwin, the county's top passer last year, and FL Mike Downs, returning. Lack of a running game helped Goodwin and Downs compile those numbers, and though he's happy to have an established passing game, coach Ken Parker wants more ball control. One key to the running game will be better blocking, led by OG/NG Chris Logue and C/DT Brian Solesha.
* Westminster (7-3) -- The Owls finished tied for first last season. They'll use a half-dozen running backs regularly, led by Calvin Warfield. A couple of 3-way players also return. K/OG/LB Doug Stump led county kickers in scoring with 4 field goals and 18 extra points last year, and P/RB/DB Todd Leppert averaged 35 yards a punt.