Before a child may start school, a completed Maryland Immunization Certificate form showing compliance with immunization requirements must be given to the school principal.
All students who are enrollingin Maryland's public school system for the first time should also have a physical examination within the period nine months before to sixmonths after entry. Physical examinations are available at each school.
State immunization requirements include:
* Over age 7 -- Three doses of diphtheria andtetanus; three doses of poliomyelitis vaccine; one dose of measles (rubeola) and German measles (rubella) vaccine.
* Preschool -- Appropriately immunized for age.
Proof of immunization will be provided in a manner approved by the local deputy state health officer. The immunization will be in accordance with the current schedule of immunization recommended by the Maryland Steering Committee on Immunizations and Infectious Diseases of the Medical and Chirurgical Faculty of Maryland.
If a student must take medication while in school, the following procedure must be adhered to for prescription medications and over-the-counter medication such as aspirin, acetaminophen, cold and allergy preparations and medications, lotions or creams:
* A complete written physician order must be obtained by the parent or guardian.
* The parent or guardian must give the school written permission to administer the medication to the student.
* The medication must be in a labeled container with the student's name, name of medication, date of the order, complete directions for administration, physician's name and expiration date of the medication. The labeledpharmacy container is preferred, if possible. For additional information contact the school.