* When Detroit Tigers second baseman Lou Whitaker went hitless in four at-bats Wednesday, it ended a string of 50 games in which he had reached base by hit, walk or hit-by-pitch. The streak stretched back to May 29.
* California Angels catcher Lance Parrish entered last night's game with just 11 hits in his 91 at-bats since July 4. Parrish also was working on a string of 16 games with at least 1 strikeout.
* Los Angeles Dodgers outfielder Darryl Strawberry started the season with a 40-game homerless streak, but he has heated up considerably of late. He entered Friday's game with eight home runs in his past 74 at-bats.
* New York Mets pitcher Sid Fernandez has an extensive collection of guitars -- 64, to be exact -- and he plans to use one of them to perform with Don Ho when he returns to his native Hawaii this fall.
* Rafael Palmeiro and Julio Franco rank 1-4 in the American League batting race. Teammates have finished 1-2 only eight times in the past 50 years, most recently when Don Mattingly and Dave Winfield did it with the New York Yankees in 1984.
* The Milwaukee Brewers bullpen entered last night's game with a 7.49 ERA since the All-Star break. "You know," said outfielder Darryl Hamilton, "it seems like the only time we win is when we get a complete game."