THB, Banditos, Wayward and more confirmed for Cosmic Cocktail!

Vikings' Millard leaves crash site to beat curfew


Minnesota Vikings defensive tackle Keith Millard crashed his car into a planter at a fast-food restaurant and ran back to his training camp dormitory in Mankato, Minn., to beat the team's 11 p.m. curfew, police said.

The accident happened about three minutes before 11 and Millard fled to his dorm room two blocks away before police arrived at the crash scene, Commander Michael Mountain said. Officers identified Millard through a check on the car's license plate and interviewed him at his dormitory about 11:15 p.m., Mountain said.

Millard told the officers he would have been fined $1,500 for missing curfew.

Millard could not be reached for comment.

The crash at Hardee's restaurant cracked the windshield on the 1991 Corvette and inflated its air bag, Mountain said. The car, which was towed, sustained an estimated $7,500 damage.

Millard, who was alone, was not injured and he was not ticketed, Mountain said. He is coming back from a knee injury that sidelined him most of last season.

It is not illegal to leave the scene of an accident when there are no personal injuries involved, Mountain said. Under state law, Millard had 24 hours to report the accident.

The officers wrote in their report that "Millard did not have signs of intoxication."

He was arrested in Bloomington in January 1990 and charged with drunken driving, about 10 months after a previous drunken-driving arrest in Redmond, Wash. Millard pleaded guilty a reduced charged of careless driving in the Minnesota case.

In Washington, he was placed on probation and ordered to serve community service work and two years of counseling. A judge in the Washington case approved Millard's request for deferred prosecution.

* WLAF: Mike Lynn, president of the World League of American Football, has resigned.

Lynn, who took over as president of the league Oct. 10, 1990, said his continuing association with the NFL's Vikings played a part in his decision to step down. Lynn is a participant in a group seeking NFL approval of a new Vikings' ownership control arrangement.

"The position of World League president should he held by someone without National Football League club affiliation," said Lynn, who has been with the Vikings in some capacity for nearly two decades.

* COWBOYS: Veteran quarterback Babe Laufenberg, who started and lost the last game of the 1990 season, has been released.

Laufenberg lost out in his battle for a backup role to starter Troy Aikman. Cliff Stoudt and rookie Bill Musgrave of Oregon had been getting most of the playing time in training camp.

It's the eighth time that Laufenberg has been on the NFL waiver wire.

* SAINTS: John Fourcade has been dropped from six teams in four leagues, but the last cut was the unkindest of all.

"This is my hometown team. It's the team I grew up wanting to play with," Fourcade said after he was cut by New Orleans. "I wanted to retire as a Saint."

After a college career in which he broke most of Archie Manning's passing records at Mississippi, he went undrafted by the NFL.

He played in the Canadian Football League, with two teams in the USFL and in Arena Football. He also went to camp with the New York Giants and the Saints, but got cut in the preseason both times.

He caught on with the Saints as a replacement quarterback during the strike of 1987, worked his way up the roster and started the last three games of the 1989 season, beating out Bobby Hebert. He started the first five games in 1990 while Hebert was in a yearlong holdout, swearing he would never play for the Saints again. The Saints traded with Dallas for Steve Walsh in late September, and Walsh started the final 11 games of 1990.

* JETS: Bill Pickel, former Los Angeles Raiders defensive lineman now with New York, says team officials and players knew about Lyle Alzado's use of steroids and tried to persuade him to stop, but to no avail.

"They told him he would be dead in five years if he didn't stop doing it," Pickel said. "They told him to stop, but he said he felt great. He kind of made a joke about it. Lyle was going to do what Lyle was going to do. It was his persona and image, [but] it makes you sick to see him now. It's devastating."

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad