5 men die in city violence Shootings claim four; police cite drugs in 1 case.


Two Baltimore County men shot down on a northwest Baltimore street last night were among five victims of homicides -- four shootings and a stabbing -- that occurred over the weekend and early today in the city.

Police said one of the slayings was drug-related and the killing of two men last night in the Pimlico area may have been related to narcotics.

Meanwhile, no motive was given for the slaying of a man early yesterday on Palormo Avenue or that of a man shot to death early today in the 3700 block of Greenspring Ave.

According to police, two men were buzzed into the Lewis Foxwell Memorial Apartments, a center for the deaf, by a man who lives on the eighth floor and uses a wheelchair. The two men entered and went to the eighth floor, and after a short time, one man was shot.

The victim was taken to Liberty Medical Center and pronounced dead on arrival. Investigators said the man, who carried no identification, was shot in the right hip with the bullet going into the abdomen. The investigation is continuing.

The body was taken to the medical examiner's office for an autopsy to determine the exact cause of death and for fingerprinting in an attempt to identify the victim.

In the Pimlico double homicide, the two men were gunned down and killed in the 3100 block of Woodland Ave. off the 4700 block of Park Heights Ave., apparently by two gunmen.

Police said the victims were found at 10 p.m. lying on the pavement.

Homicide Detective Oscar Requer said one, Antonio Henderson, of the 3700 block of Valley Hill Drive in Randallstown, was lying face up directly in front of his mother's home.

The other man, Isaac Durant, 25, of the first block of Woodthorne Court in Owings Mills, was less than five feet away.

Requer said several people were standing outside their homes when two men approached Henderson and Durant.

"Shots suddenly were fired," said Requer, "and people started running in all directions."

Requer said no arrest has been made in the case, but information from witnesses was being compared to see if a composite drawing of the two gunmen could be made.

He said that around 10 p.m., Patrolman Nick Constantine of Northwestern District was parked in the 4700 of Park Heights Ave. when a man walked up and told him there had been a shooting on Woodland Avenue.

As Constantine was responding, he heard gunshots ring out. Constantine requested back-up units and when he arrived in front of 3119 Woodland Ave. the two victims were lying on the pavement. Both men had been shot in the upper chest at close range.

The detective said Henderson died at the scene and Durant was taken by ambulance to Sinai Hospital, where he died at 10:30 p.m.

Requer said a large-caliber handgun found lying near Henderson was believed to be his weapon, but it was not known if Henderson had fired any shots at his killer.

Requer said Northwestern District police were given sketchy identification of two men seen running from the scene but no one apparently recognized the men.

Requer said Henderson had been "in and out" of his mother's homeduring the day and evening and that he frequently visited her.

The preliminary investigation indicated that Henderson may have been the target of the gunmen and Durant was gunned down because he was in the line of fire, Requer said.

He said there were indications the slayings may have been drug-related but police had developed no hard evidence of a motive.

The weekend's two other slayings, both in the Southwestern District, occurred early yesterday.

Police said that at 3:10 a.m., Gilbert Wayne Grady, 24, of the 100 block of S. Prospect Ave. in Dundalk, was driving in the 100 block of Palormo Ave. off Frederick Avenue when he stopped his 1983 Pontiac Firebird to talk to two men.

Later, witnesses told police they heard several gunshots and saw the two men running away.

When police arrived a few minutes later, they found Grady sitting in the driver's seat, dead from multiple gunshot wounds to the upper body.

No arrests have been made.

About three hours earlier, Edward Taylor, 37, of the 5200 block of Leith Road in northeast Baltimore, was stabbed to death with a kitchen knife as he stood in the basement hallway of a house in the 2900 block of Mosher Court.

Police said Taylor, pronounced dead at the scene of chest wounds, had been in the house looking for drugs that reportedly belonged to him.

Homicide Detective Rick James said a suspect, Harold Singfield, 30, of the 2900 block of Mosher Court, went to police headquarters about 11:30 a.m. yesterday and was charged with first-degree murder.

Copyright © 2020, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad