G. C. Fenhagen Jr., architect, diesServices for...


G. C. Fenhagen Jr., architect, dies

Services for G. Corner Fenhagen Jr., a retired Baltimore architect, will be held at 10 a.m. tomorrow at the Henry W. Jenkins & Sons funeral establishment, 4905 York Road.

Mr. Fenhagen, who was 78 and lived on Greenway, died Tuesday at the Meridian Nursing Center-Long Green. He had Alzheimer's disease.

Retired for nearly 20 years, he had been associated with several firms, Tyler, Ketcham and Meyers; Galloway, Harling Associates; Hopkins, Pfeifer and Fenhagen, in which he was a partner, and Fenhagen, Meyer and Ayers, in which his father was a partner.

Projects on which he worked include what is now the Citicorp building on York Road near the Towson State University, and the chapel at Hood College.

Born in Manila, while his father was an architectural consultant to the Philippine government, he was a 1930 graduate of the Gilman School and attended Amherst College.

He worked for a time for the Union Lumber Co. in Fort Bragg, Calif., and then became a partner in Woodwriters, a furniture manufacturing company in Wellesley, Mass.

Known to many as Bill, a nickname he adopted in his youth, he returned to Baltimore at the start of World War II, and was an air raid warden here before enlisting in the Army and serving in Europe.

He began his architectural studies after the war, graduating from the University of Virginia architectural school in 1949, and earning a master's degree the next year at the School of Fine Arts of the University of Pennsylvania.

Survivors include his wife of more than 50 years, the former Landon Carter Brown; two brothers, J. Pierce Fenhagen of Rawdon, Quebec, and F. Weston Fenhagen of Chapel Hill, N.C.; a sister, Christina Anderson of Phoenix; and several nieces, nephews and cousins.

Susanne M. Dobson

School psychologist

A memorial service for Susanne M. Dobson, a retired school psychologist in the city school system who died May 31 at the Deaton Medical Center, was held Saturday at the Timonium United Methodist Church.

Mrs. Dobson, who was 66 and lived in Timonium for many years, had been hospitalized since a 1981 stroke that forced her retirement. She had worked in the schools since the mid 1960s and had also been a partner with her mother in the late 1960s in a catering service that operated a tea room at the Hampton Mansion.

The former Susanne Morgan Mohler earned an associate's degree at Stephens College in Columbia, Mo., a bachelor's degree in psychology at the Johns Hopkins University and a master's degree at Towson State University. She had also served an internship at a University of Maryland clinic and worked as a counselor for the Veterans Administration.

Her husband, Joseph Huff Dobson, was a general open hearth labor and maintenance foreman for the Bethlehem Steel Corp. at Sparrows Point before his death in 1984.

She is survived by a daughter, M. Joyce Dobson Cashier of Platte City, Mo.; four sons, William Bruce Dobson of Towson, David E. Dobson of Sonoma, Calif., M. Craig Dobson of Ann Arbor, Mich., and J. Michael Dobson of Chicago; a sister, Myra Jean Mohler Morrow of Chambersburg, Pa.; and 10 grandchildren.

Ruth Robinson Sater

Artist, photographer

A memorial service for Ruth Robinson Sater, an artist and photographer, will be held at 7 p.m. Saturday at the Uniontown Bible Church.

Mrs. Sater, who was 68, died July 13 of leukemia at her home in Union Bridge after a long illness.

Mrs. Sater was a former commercial artist who had done fashion advertisements for the News American, the May Co., Hess Shoes and stores in Washington, Boston and Jacksonville, Fla.

She did landscapes and seascapes in many areas where she lived. A photographer and a painter in oils and watercolors, her works included scenes of the boats of the Chesapeake Bay and the New England coast, the Catskill Mountains, the Florida Keys, and rural areas and covered bridges in Maryland and Massachusetts. More recently, she concentrated on scenes of the ballet and images of Christ.

Born in Baltimore, the former Ruth Alexeana Leineman studied at the Maryland Institute and at the Fashion Academy in New York City.

She also did illustrations for the Glenn L. Martin Co., now Martin Marietta Corp., during World War II.

A resident of the Eastern Shore for several years before moving to Union Bridge 16 years ago, she was also a member of the Academy of the Arts in Easton.

Her first husband, John Winthrop Robinson, a marine engineer on tugboats and other inland craft, died in 1951 and a son, Paul Scott Robinson of Arbutus, died in 1985.

In 1972, she married John Sater, a retired engineer for WMAR-TV, who survives her.

She is also survived by a daughter, Laura R. Robinson of Chelmsford, Mass.; two sons, John W. Robinson of Annapolis and James C. Robinson of Maynard, Mass.; a stepdaughter, Jane Seidel of Baltimore; a sister, Elva Sumberg of Tampa, Fla.; 11 grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren.

The family suggested that memorial contributions could be made to the Leukemia Research Foundation Memorial Funds.

Copyright © 2020, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad