False explosives tip leaves suspect's wife 'smoking' Search angers wife of crime suspect.


Though the threat of explosives had passed, Lana Hall said she was ready to explode now.

Yesterday afternoon, Hall was directed by Baltimore County police to leave her house in the 7800 block of Oakdale Ave. in the Chesaco Park section of Rosedale after authorities received an anonymous tip that military-type explosives were buried beneath her kitchen.

Forty-seven houses in the neighborhood were evacuated during the search for the explosives. But the tip proved to be unfounded, leaving Lana Hall angry and frustrated.

Hall's husband is David Wayne Hall, one of two suspects arrested early this month and charged with kidnapping a teller of an Overlea bank, the robbery of the bank and the rape of one of the teller's daughters.

She said this was the fourth time since her husband's arrest that her house has been searched.

And though previous police searches were for items linking David Hall to the robbery, Hall said she has had enough.

"I'm very angry," she said yesterday after being permitted to return home. "My basement is a total mess . . . they left and said 'You deal with the mess.' And I'm smoking, believe you me."

Police removed several cinder blocks from a wall in Hall's basement, exposing a crawl space under the kitchen floor. The blocks were left on the floor near piles of dirt that had fallen from the crawl space.

"I am going to sue [the police] for harassment," Hall said, as shwatched her children play on a swing set in the front yard. The police "tortured my husband . . . they really tortured him today. They feel like because he's in there, he's guilty. I feel like you're innocent until proven guilty.

"He feels what he's going through is very unfair," she said. "He told [police] 'Do you really believe that I would put my wife and children in danger by doing something like that?' ."

Yesterday's bomb scare necessitated the nearly three-hour evacuation of the houses surrounding Hall's and kept residents from returning home after work.

"The best precaution was to evacuate the neighborhood," said E. Jay Miller, a county police spokesman. "We couldn't risk the chance of some type of explosion or fire."

Though many residents went to stay with friends or relatives, others chose to pass time at St. Clements School on Chesaco Road, which served as an evacuation site.

Audrey Nohe, who lives on Oakdale Avenue, said she was getting ready to take a swim in her pool when police came to her house and asked her to leave.

"I have a bathing suit on and everything," she said as she sat at a table with her two children, Randy, 11, and Jamie, 6, and waited for news from police.

Rosalie Grubowski came to the school directly from work after a call from her daughter informed her that she would not be allowed into her house. Grubowski's husband, Bob, held their dog on his lap. The couple's pet parrot sat in a carrying case on the table.

Most of the Rosedale residents at St. Clements said they hoped to get something to eat as soon as they could leave. The Grubowskis had dinner plans last night, "but now we'll end up, when this is over, probably going to McDonald's," Bob Grubowski said.

Some residents admitted to being afraid of the Halls and their relatives, and feared retaliation from the family that has brought Chesaco Park unwelcome attention. Some even said they thought the anonymous call may have been made by someone "trying to get even for things [the Halls] did to them."

"I feel sorry for her," said one woman, who declined to give her name, referring to Lana Hall. "Why would somebody do this?"

Copyright © 2020, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad