Robert B. Pool, lacrosse star, dies at...


Robert B. Pool, lacrosse star, dies at 82

Robert B. Pool, who had been an All-American attack man for the St. John's College lacrosse team and then a high school and college coach, died Monday at a hospital in Willingboro, N.J., after a monthlong illness.

Mr. Pool, who was 82 and lived in Willingboro, moved to New Jersey in 1962 to work on product research for the Weyerhaeuser Co.

In 1963, he was elected to both the Lacrosse Hall of Fame and the Maryland State Athletic Hall of Fame.

Before leaving Baltimore, he held sales jobs for the American Seating Co. and a candy company. For a time, he owned a sporting goods store.

He later became a social worker for the state health department.

He retired in the late 1970s.

Born in Baltimore, he played for four years on championship Polytechnic Institute teams before going to St. John's.

There he played attack on teams that won one national open title and two intercollegiate championships.

In 1931, he was captain of the team which was undefeated in regular play and then won the Lally Cup by defeating an all-star Canadian team. He shot four of the five goals his team scored.

He played professional box lacrosse in Canada. Later he started a team that played in Baltimore in 1932.

From 1931 until 1935, he coached Harvard University teams, the freshmen the first year and then the varsity. In 1938 he coached the Polytechnic Institute team before moving on to coach the Friends School team the next year.

During World War II, he worked as an inspector at the Glenn L. Martin Co., now Martin Marietta Corp.

For many years, he developed improvements to lacrosse sticks, including a double-walled wooden-headed stick that was known as the Bobby Pool Special. This stick was a forerunner of the modern plastic-headed stick.

Mr. Pool is survived by his wife, the former Dorothy Cann; a son, Robert B. Pool II of Reisterstown; a daughter, Nancy Pool Goodwin of Huntingdon, Pa.; a sister, Irene Flesher of Phoenicia, N.Y.; two brothers, William Pool of Snow Hill and Theodore Pool of Winter Park, Fla.; two grandchildren; and a great-grandson.

No services were planned at his request, but the family suggested that memorial contributions could be made to the Lacrosse Hall of Fame.

Megan Tara Ensey

Elementary student

Services for Megan Tara Ensey, a student at the Ruth Parker Eason School in Millersville, will be held at 2 p.m. tomorrow at the Howard H. Hubbard funeral home, 4107 Wilkens Ave.

Megan, a 7-year-old who lived with her parents in Linthicum, died at home on Sunday.

Born with several birth defects, Megan worked hard to overcome her mental and physical handicaps and was remembered by teachers and aides as a personable child.

"I worked with her for four years, and in my book she was the greatest. She had a personality that just won everybody's heart," said Claudia Bullock, an aide to the girl. "Megan couldn't do anything but smile and look at you with her eyes, but she would answer you with her eyes. And when she had to make a choice she'd look at what she wanted and give you a special smile.

"I took her shopping at the mall at Easter, and I let her pick out the toy she wanted. I showed her a little chicken that peeped, and she'd smile with her eyes and her mouth and that's what she wanted. And Megan really loved it when one of the teachers would dance for her. She'd just laugh and laugh."

At school, using adaptive equipment, Megan learned to work a computer and make milk shakes.

Her teacher, Joanne E. Antkowiak, said, "She had so much to give; she was very alert, very in tune to what was going on around her. She communicated through her gaze. She liked spiders and snakes and scary things. With equipment she was learning to push herself around. I was telling her parents that Megan just wasn't theirs, they had to share her because everyone who knew Megan adopted her as their own."

Megan is survived by her parents, Bob and Dee Ensey; a !B grandfather, Milton Farson of Morrell Park; and grandparents, Ellsworth and Doris Ensey of Baltimore.

The family suggests that memorial donations be sent to the Johns Hopkins Children's Center, 600 N. Wolfe St., Baltimore 21205.

Services for Lillie Mae Johnson, who worked for the Social Security Administration and more recently in state offices, will be held at 7 p.m. Thursday at the New Shiloh Baptist Church, Clifton Avenue and Monroe Street.

Mrs. Johnson, who was 66 and lived in the Marlboro Apartments, died Saturday in an automobile accident on Reisterstown Road in Pimlico.

She worked in state offices through a temporary employee service for about three years and earlier had done clerical work for the Social Security Administration for 23 years. Before working for Social Security, she did clerical work at the Westinghouse Electric Corp. plant near the Baltimore-Washington International Airport and for the Martin Marietta Corp.

The former Lillie Mae Levy was a native of Baltimore and a graduate of Douglass High School and Morgan State University. Also a graduate of Bible institutes and colleges, she was active at the New Shiloh Baptist Church in the Drama Club, the Women's Ministry and other groups.

She was also a member of the Toastmistresses group at Social Security, the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People and the Busy Bee Social Club.

Mrs. Johnson is survived by her husband, Charles Johnson; a sister, Juanita Levy; a brother, Herbert Levy; and several nieces and nephews. All are of Baltimore.

Robert M. Barnhart

Senior radiologist

A memorial service for Dr. Robert M. Barnhart, a radiologist at the Harbor Hospital Center and the Liberty Medical Center, will be held at 7:30 p.m. tomorrow at the Towson Presbyterian Church, Chesapeake and Highland avenues.

Dr. Barnhart, who was 55 and lived on Templeton Road in Towson, died Monday after collapsing at his summer home on Wiltshire Lane in Severna Park.

As a partner in Harbor Radiologists for more than 20 years, he was the senior attending physician in the imaging departments of both hospitals.

A native of Washington, D.C., he was a graduate of the University of Virginia and the George Washington University Medical School.

He served an internship and surgical residency at Duke University Hospital and then served as a captain in the Air Force in Germany from 1962 until 1965.

Then he came to Baltimore and took a residency in radiology at the Johns Hopkins Hospital before becoming associated with the group of radiologists.

He was a member of the Radiology Society of North America, the American College of Radiology, the American Institute of Ultrasound in Medicine, the Maryland Radiological Society, the American Medical Association and the Medical and Chirur

gical Faculty of Maryland.

He is survived by his wife, the former Ellen Devol; two sons, Robert Miller Barnhart Jr. of Parkville and Donald Lee Barnhart of Columbia; a daughter, Laura Lynn Barnhart Alberg of Washington; his mother, Pearl Barnhart of Prince Frederick; and a sister, Virginia M. Ireland of Fort Myers, Fla.

The family suggested that memorial contributions could be made to the Towson Presbyterian Church, Mar-Va Marriage Encounter, in care of the church, or to the Union Memorial Hospital Hospice Program.

Copyright © 2020, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad