Long, wild chase ends at home 2 hours, 120 miles later, Arundel man arrested.


A 23-year-old Glen Burnie man who had allegedly threatened to kill his wife was arrested early today after leading police on a two-hour, 120-mile chase during which he rammed several police cars and nearly struck a Toll Facilities officer, police said.

The chase, which at times reached speeds of 90 mph, involved 38 Anne Arundel County police cars, five State Police vehicles, three Toll Facilities cars and one helicopter.

At one point during the chase on the Harbor Tunnel toll thruway, the suspect slowed his vehicle enough to hand a toll taker his fare before proceeding through the tunnel.

The suspect, Edward Thomas Crenshaw, of the 400 block of Elwell Court, was arrested at his home shortly before 2 a.m. He was charged with four counts each of assault by car, destruction of property and hit and run. He was also charged with numerous traffic violations.

Lt. Michael P. Fitzgibbons of the Anne Arundel County police said the incident began about 11:30 last night, when police received a report of a small truck driving recklessly across lawns in the 400 block of Elwell Court.

Minutes later, Crenshaw's wife called police and said that her husband had been drinking all day and that the couple had gotten into an argument.

During the dispute, the woman reported, Crenshaw said he had a gun and had given her a choice of either being shot or being beaten. The woman never saw a gun, Fitzgibbons said.

Shortly after midnight, police saw the truck several blocks from the area and attempted to stop it. The driver refused and led police on a chase through northern Anne Arundel County and onto the Harbor Tunnel Thruway.

At that highway near the city line and road construction, the suspect turned his truck in an apparent attempt to hit a pursuing county police car, Fitzgibbons said. The officer swerved his car to avoid from being hit, but lost control of the car and struck a Jersey barrier before colliding with another county police car involved in the chase.

Also on the tunnel highway, a Toll Facilities car tried to block the truck and was rammed five times by the truck, Fitzgibbons said. At the end of the northbound tunnel, the suspect made a U-turn and nearly struck a foot Toll Facilities officer.

During the chase, the suspect rammed another Toll Facilities car and the rear of a passing car. The chase ended when officers followed the suspect back to his house, where he was arrested.

The injured officers were taken to the Shock-Trauma Unit, where they were treated for neck and back injuries.

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad