Charles Marbury, retired judge diesServices for retired...

Charles Marbury, retired judge dies

Services for retired Court of Appeals Judge Charles C. Marbury will be held at 11 a.m. tomorrow at Trinity Episcopal Church in Upper Marlboro.


Judge Marbury, who was 91 and lived on Beacon Hill Farm near Upper Marlboro, died Friday at Georgetown University Hospital in Washington of a respiratory illness.

He retired in 1969, when he reached the mandatory retirement age of 70, after more than 28 years as a judge, nine of them on the Court of Appeals.


In 1960, when the court was expanded from five judges to seven, he was appointed to fill a seat for a new Southern Maryland Appeals Circuit.

He had long been a proponent of reserving a seat for Southern Maryland on the court and had earlier opposed a court reform measure in which the number of judges was cut from eight to five. He also believed judges should be elected and ran against Judge Hall Hammond in 1954, seeking a term on the Court of Appeals bench.

Judge Marbury was unsuccessful but remained friends with Judge Hammond, who became chief judge while both men were on the Appeals Court bench.

Charles Clagett Marbury was a native of Upper Marlboro. He graduated from the Johns Hopkins University in 1922 after also attending the University of Bordeaux in France. He had remained in France after serving in the field artillery of the 29th Division during World War I.

He also attended the University of Maryland law school before his graduation in 1925 from Georgetown University law school, which gave him an award in 1973 for his service to the legal profession.

After beginning his practice in Upper Marlboro, he was elected to the House of Delegates in 1931 and continued to serve in the House until his election to the state Senate in 1941. Shortly after becoming a senator, he was appointed to serve as a Circuit Court judge, a post he held until he was named to the Court of Appeals.

He was a vestryman and a former senior warden of Trinity Episcopal Church, and belonged to the Society of the Cincinnati and the Southern Maryland Society, which gave him its Distinguished Member Award in 1989.

His wife of more than 50 years, the former Kathryn Worthington Lancaster, died in 1986.


He is survived by a daughter, Priscilla Marbury Ryan of Chevy Chase; four grandchildren; and five great-grandchildren.

Virgil O. Webb Jr., Former retail salesman

Services for Virgil Oliver Webb Jr., a salesman who worked in many retail stores, will be at noon tomorrow at the March Funeral Home, 4300 Wabash Ave.

Mr. Webb, who was 45, died Wednesday after a long illness at his home on Sherwood Avenue.

Most recently, he worked for two years at the Van Dyke and Bacon Health Shoes store on York Road. Before that, he worked three years in the fine coats department of the Burlington Coat Factory in Northwood.

He also had worked at the Hahn Shoes store on Reisterstown Road and at other stores. Earlier, he had worked at the Sparrows Point plant of the Bethlehem Steel Corp.


Born in Baltimore, he became a steel worker after his graduation from Douglass High School.

He is survived by his wife, the former Charlaine Black; two sons, Virgil Oliver Webb III and Carey Alexander Webb; a daughter, Tunis Smith; a stepson, Eric Black; a stepdaughter, Robin Black; his parents,Lillian and Virgil Oliver Webb, Sr.; three brothers, Paul, Julius and Francis Webb; seven sisters, Lillian James, Denise Delveson, Vera Smith, Myra Wilson, Marian Webb, Darlene Webb and Kim Webb; and a granddaughter. All are of Baltimore.

Mary Alice West


Services for Mary Alice West, a former Glen Burnie homemaker, will be held at 3 p.m. tomorrow at the South Brevard Funeral Home in Melbourne, Fla.

Mrs. West died of natural causes Friday at her Palm Bay, Fla., home. She was 71.


Born in Myrtle, Ga., Mrs. West moved to Baltimore in the mid-1940s and lived in the area until she and her husband, Russell E. West Jr., moved to Florida in 1981.

She was a member of the Melbourne Women's Golf Association.

She is survived by her husband; a son, John Russell West of Greenville, Texas; two daughters, Dinah Mae Upton of Union Bridge and Peggy West Griner of Huntsville, Ala.; two brothers, Morris N. Pitts of Athens, Ga., and Frank W. Pitts of Houston; a sister, Dorothy Onez Shannon of Baltimore; 11 grandchildren; and four great-grandchildren.

Memorial contributions may be made to the Holmes Regional Hospice, 1900 Dairy Road, West Melbourne, Fla. 32904.

Raymond Stemler

Owned Esso stations


Services for Raymond H. Stemler, a retired Baltimore service station owner, will be at 11 a.m. tomorrow at the Witzke Funeral Home, 1630 Edmondson Ave., Catonsville.

Mr. Stemler, 85, died Wednesday at the Charlestown Medical Center in Catonsville after a long illness. He lived at the Charlestown Retirement Community in Catonsville.

Born in Baltimore, Mr. Stemler graduated from the Baltimore Polytechnic Institute in 1924. He owned and operated two Esso services stations until his retirement 20 years ago.

He was a member of the Kiwanis Club and Trinity United Methodist Church in Catonsville.

Mr. Stemler's wife, the former Alma Winter, died five years ago.

He is survived by a son, Jay Robert Stemler of Pittsburgh; four grandchildren; and four great-grandchildren.


Memorial contributions may be made to the scholarship fund at the Charlestown Retirement Community, 715 Maiden Lane,



Robert E. Jones

Truck driver

Robert Eugene Jones, a retired Brooklyn Park truck driver, has died at his home in Ridge Manor, Fla. He was 57.


Mr. Jones, who died July 9, was born in Washington, D.C., and moved to the Baltimore area as a child. He had homes in Brooklyn Park and Ridge Manor.

He is survived by his wife of eight years, Kathleen Swanegan Jones; three sons, Mark S. Jones of Virginia, Ronald E. Jones of Pasadena and Raymond E. Jones of Lansdowne; a daughter, Dawn Marie Jones of Brooklyn Park; eight stepchildren

and 12 grandchildren.

Services were held July 12 at the Oakley Funeral Parlor in Dade City, Fla.