Police HQ is returning to normal Major wounded in the head in police HQ shooting is alert and talking.


Maj. Peter C. Shaulis, a bullet fragment still lodged in his brain, is alert and talking today after being shot by a suspended Baltimore police officer.

Shaulis, 59, and Lt. Michael H. Waudby, 41, were wounded Wednesday when the officer, suspended after being accused of sexually abusing a 10-year-old girl, opened fire at police headquarters on Fayette Street. The officer then shot and killed himself.

Both men were listed in serious but stable condition today. Shaulis is at the Shock-Trauma Unit in Baltimore; Waudby at Johns Hopkins Hospital.

By yesterday afternoon, the fourth floor of the headquarters building, where the shootings took place, seemed to return to normal.

The yellow police tape had come off and the blood had been wiped off the floor. Papers were stacked neatly on a table in the conference room where Officer Calloway F. Hatcher, 56, took his life.

To help with the emotional upheaval, the department today was offering two counseling sessions for workers, police spokesman Dennis Hill said.

In a message to the city police, Commissioner Edward V. Woods asked that employees remember the wounded officers in their prayers. The shootings left department members "deeply shaken," he said.

"I would also ask that Officer Hatcher and his family be remembered in your thoughts and prayers," he said. "These were not the rational actions of a man who served this agency for so many years."

Dr. Aizik Wolf, a Shock-Trauma neurosurgeon who operated on Shaulis, said a thin, leathery membrane was attached over the spot where a bullet fragment pierced the major's brain. In a 10-hour procedure, surgeons also reconstructed part of his skull.

"He's doing fine," the physician said. "He continues to be alert, he's awake. The biggest problem right now would be an infection. In a sense, [the bullet fragment] makes a dirty wound."

Wolf said the major's frontal sinus absorbed most of the bullet's impact, avoiding further brain damage. "I think that's what saved his life."

Shaulis was behind his desk Wednesday when Hatcher shot him, police said. The bullet ripped through a newspaper in the major's hands, glanced off his glasses and entered just above his right eye. It came to rest in his left frontal lobe.

Hatcher, a 27-year veteran and the father of three sons, had surrendered his personal revolver and his badge when he was suspended Tuesday after his arrest on charges of sexually abusing a girl, now 10, over a four-year period, police said.

Hatcher, a former Marine, arrived at headquarters for a suspension hearing Wednesday with his service revolver, which police had been unable to find a day earlier.

Hill said Hatcher waited in a conference room outside Shaulis' office about 30 minutes. He loaded his gun, which he was supposed to surrender that day, and waited for Waudby to enter the room.

Hatcher's first shot missed Waudby, police said. His second shot struck Shaulis. A third shot struck the lieutenant in the chest in a hallway near the conference room. Hatcher then returned to the conference room and killed himself.

A wounded Shaulis struggled over to the entrance of the conference room where he saw Hatcher lying on the floor, police said. His hands covering his head wound, the major announced, "Hatcher's dead," as other officers arrived to help him.

Copyright © 2020, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad