Police major conscious after being shot in head


Baltimore police Maj. Peter C. Shaulis, shot in the head by another police officer before a suspension hearing Wednesday, was awake and talking yesterday at the Maryland Shock Trauma Center after nearly 10 hours of intricate surgery.

Doctors said Major Shaulis' life may have been saved by his wearing eyeglasses, which deflected the bullet fired by Officer Calloway F. Hatcher Sr.

Officer Hatcher, who worked in the Central Records Division, had been arrested Tuesday on charges of sexually assaulting a child. He had been ordered to attend a suspension hearing and to turn in his service revolver the next day at police headquarters.

But Officer Hatcher instead turned the gun on his superiors -- Major Shaulis and Lt. Michael H. Waudby -- and fired. Officer Hatcher then put the gun in his own mouth and pulled the trigger. He died at headquarters.

Lieutenant Waudby, 41, was in stable condition at Johns Hopkins Hospital yesterday with a bullet wound to the chest. Married and the father of two children, he joined thedepartment in 1971.

Fellow officers said Lieutenant Waudby, who has a bachelor's degree in geography, is an avid reader, or as one person described him, a real "bookworm."

"To talk to the guy, you would think he was a professor," said Officer H. L. Jones, who worked with Lieutenant Waudby in the Northern District. "He knew the Police Department's general orders [rules and regulations] so well, it almost seemed he wrote them."

Major Shaulis, 59, has worked in the Central Records office for more than 20 years. He is married and has three children.

"He's the kind of boss that is quiet, not a guy in the limelight, an easygoing fellow that people liked," said Don Helms, president of Fraternal Order of Police Lodge No. 3. "You wouldn't even know he was a boss."

Counseling sessions were scheduled today for the 60 people who work under Major Shaulis in the Central Records office. Unlike most police units, the majority of the Central Records staff are civilians.

"They're real professionals," police spokesman Dennis S. Hill said. "Only two called in to take the day off -- understandably, of course."

Copyright © 2020, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad