50 Years Ago (week of July 13-19, 1941):
* The Ellicott Theatre on Main Street in Ellicott City celebrated its grand opening this week, screening "The Devil and Miss Jones" as its first feature. The new theater was touted for its state-of-the art sound, projections and lighting equipment, as well as for its comfortable seats and up-to-daterestroom facilities. Admissions was 25 cents, plus tax, for adults in the evening, and 15 cents for matinees. Admission for children was a dime at all times.
* Russell L. Mullineaux was the guest of honor this week at a farewell party given at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Charles D. Warfield by the Presbyterian Sunday School and the Young People's Society for Christian Endeavor. Mullineaux was leaving to join the Naval Reserve in Hagerstown.
25 Years Ago (week of July 10-16, 1966):
* A recentjailbreak in Ellicott City, which resulted in the escape of eight inmates, prompted Sheriff Norman Howard and Warden Charles Mann to recommend to the county security improvements for the jail. Among the suggestions:grates over all windows; a steel door on the jail's front entrance; a steel door on the kitchen entrance; two guards on each shift; a raise in guards' starting pay; and locating the fence further away from the jail building, with "No Loitering" and "No Trespassing" signs posted.
* The restoration of money cut from salaries of the custodial staff of county schools was made this week by the school board. County commissioners had refused to appropriate the $14,000 that would have allowed a 4 percent raise for custodians and allow for three new employees. A school board member made a motion at Tuesday's meeting to transfer $14,000 from the board's contingency fund to restore money cut from the salary budget. The other board members agreed unanimously.