The Taneytown Cardinals will travel to Westminster to face the Elks in a key South Penn Baseball League matchup tomorrow night.
With just over a week remaining in the regular season, the Cards (22-5) arebattling it out with Cashtown, Pa., (22-5) for first place in the Western Division, while the Elks (11-15) look to make a run at the .500mark and second place in the Eastern Division.
Saturday, the Cardinals took a pair from Mummasburg while Cashtown kept pace Sunday with a sweep of the Elks at Westminster.
The Elks got to within two games of the .500 mark before the weekend lossesto Cashtown and will be looking to get back on track tomorrow. Game time is 6:15 p.m. at Westminster High.
The Cards remain on the road Saturday -- playing a pair against Eastern Division-leading Littlestown, Pa., slated for 6 p.m.
The Elks will visit Mummasburg, Pa., for a doubleheader at 1 p.m. Sunday.
In other sports this weekend:
* Three of the county swim teams will be traveling in Central Maryland Swim League action Saturday.
South Carroll will face Springdale, Baltimore County; Westminster Riding Club will take on Meadowbrook in Baltimore; and Westminster Pool will face Bolton Hill, Baltimore. All meets will start at 9 a.m. Taneytown has a bye this weekend.
This Saturday marks the end of the regular season with divisional championships to take place starting July 27.
* The American Softball Association Church State Tournament will take place beginning at 9a.m. Saturday at the Carroll County Sports Complex, north of Westminster.
Ten to 15 teams are expected to participate in the one-day tournament, including six teams from the Carroll County Church League.
County teams include: Union Bridge, Ascension, St. John's No. 1, St. Mary's, Jerusalem and Northminster.
* After four weeks of play, there is a logjam atop the travel division in the Carroll County Lacrosse Association Summer League, with three teams owning 3-1 records.
A pair of those 3-1 teams -- Mar-Ja and Lil' Abner's -- will face each other at 6:30 p.m. tonight at the Carroll County Sports Complex. The other 3-1 team, Monaghan's Pub, will take on Triangle Sign (1-3), also at 6:30 at the complex.
The Carroll division has turned into a two-team race with International Foreign Car the only team in either division with a perfect record (5-0). Dr. Deigert's Drill Team is hot on their trail with a 4-1 mark. The teams will meet in the season-finale at 6 p.m. Sunday at the complex.
International surviveda scare Sunday, nipping Farmers & Merchants Bank (1-4) 7-6 on an overtime goal by Dave Hogue.
F & M's Greg Stanton, who had already scored twice in the game, had a breakaway opportunity stopped by International goalie Nathan White with 30 seconds remaining to send the contest into overtime.
A pair of first-round, travel division playoffgames also will take place starting at 4 p.m. Sunday at the complex.Pairings were not set at press time.
* Four Babe Ruth Baseball state tournaments get under way at two locations this weekend.
The state 13 and 14-15 tournaments start Saturday at Arundel High and Gambrills Athletic Club in the Odenton section of Anne Arundel County.
Westminster teams won the district tournaments over the weekend and will advance to the state tournament in both age groups. Final pairings had not been determined as of press time.
The state 16 and 16-18 Babe Ruth Tournaments start Saturday at McCurdy Park in Frederick. The Carroll 16 team is slated to play Prince George's II at 5 p.m. Saturday, with the 16-18 team meeting Prince George's I at 8 p.m.
* A pair of 9-10 baseball tournaments will take place this weekend. TheHampstead 9-10 Baseball Invitational will start Friday at Lions' Club Field in Hampstead. The Taneytown 9-10 Baseball Tournament will start Saturday at Taneytown Memorial Park.