Reginald A. Wiglesworth, retired labor lawyer, diesA...

Reginald A. Wiglesworth, retired labor lawyer, dies

A Mass of Christian burial for Reginald A. Wiglesworth, a retired labor lawyer and corporate official who owned three cleaning businesses, will be offered at 10 a.m. tomorrow at St. Pius X Roman Catholic Church, 6428 York Road.


Mr. Wiglesworth, who was 79 and lived on Oxford Road in Stoneleigh, died early yesterday at the Greater Baltimore Medical Center after a long illness.

At his death, he was the owner of two dry cleaning businesses, Anneslie Tailor Inc. and the Cleaner Cleaners, with shops in Towson and Cockeysville. He also owned the Maryland Carpet Care Corp., which specialized in office and commercial carpet cleaning in the Baltimore-Washington area.


He retired in 1976 as corporate secretary, credit manager and head of labor relations for Emeco Industries in Hanover, Pa. He had been with the office furniture manufacturer for nearly 20 years and had helped it acquire two other businesses.

In the 1960s, he had also served as a federal arbitrator in labor disputes and as an adviser on labor law to Robert F. Kennedy when he was attorney general.

He began practicing law in Baltimore after his graduation in 1953 from the Mount Vernon School of Law, which later merged with the University of Baltimore.

Before becoming a lawyer, he had worked for the Crown Cork and Seal Co., where he served as export credit manager and manager of sales administration.

Born in Baltimore, he was a graduate of Loyola High School and attended Loyola College before beginning his law studies.

During World War II, he served in the Army and was a sergeant major at European headquarters.

He is survived by his wife, the former Janice Peppler; three sons, Patrick M. and Robert W. Wiglesworth, both of Towson, and Michael B. Wiglesworth, of Philadelphia; a sister, Margaret Lee of Catonsville; three grandchildren; and a great-granddaughter.

The family suggested that memorial contributions could be made to the American Cancer Society.


Abraham Mahr

Was company chairman

Services for Abraham Mahr, honorary chairman of the board of the Maryland Paper Box Co., will be held at 2 p.m. today at Sol Levinson & Bros. funeral establishment, 6010 Reisterstown Road.

Mr. Mahr, who was 85, died yesterday at his home in the Harper House Apartments in the Village of Cross Keys after a long illness.

He became honorary board chairman at his retirement in 1985 as chairman of the company, a manufacturer of retail paper packaging materials started by his father in 1917.

Born in Colonial Beach, Va., but reared in Baltimore, he was a graduate of City College and the University of Maryland law school. Though he was admitted to the bar, he never practiced law.


He served for many years on the board of Sinai Hospital and in the 1950s as chairman of the board of the Associated Jewish Charities and Welfare Fund.

He had also been active in the United Jewish Appeal and was a founder of the Beth El Congregation.

Mr. Mahr is survived by his wife, the former Clara Mandel; a son, Michael S. Mahr of Baltimore; a daughter, Julie Poll of New York City; a sister, Rose Raffel of Sparks; six grandchildren; and a great-granddaughter.

William R. Dorer

Property supervisor

Services for William R. Dorer, a retired real estate property supervisor, will be held at 9:30 a.m. today at Christ Lutheran Church, Charles and Hill streets.


Mr. Dorer, who was 75, died Saturday of a stroke at his home on Walther Avenue in Hamilton.

Born in Baltimore, he graduated from Southern High School and received a bachelor's degree in business from the University of Baltimore in 1936. He received a law degree from the same university in 1940.

He was a chief petty officer in the Navy during World War II and remained in the reserves for 40 years.

In 1950, he became a district executive for the Boy Scouts of America. Three years later, he became a production supervisor for W. R. Grace Co.'s Davison Chemical Division in Baltimore. He helped organize the federal credit union where he worked and was secretary of the credit union for several years.

In 1964, Mr. Dorer became a real estate property supervisor for the Department of the Army. He retired in 1979.

He was an active member of the Corinthian Lodge of the Masonic Temple and a life member at Christ Lutheran Church.


Mr. Dorer enjoyed bowling and flying planes.

His wife of 42 years, the former Florence Morris, died in 1984.

He is survived by a daughter, Christine L. Dorer of Towson; two sons, William L. Dorer of Richmond, Va., and Douglas M. Dorer of Abingdon; and two grandchildren.

Kitty Dohony

High school secretary

A Mass of Christian burial for Kitty Dohony, secretary in thguidance department at Archbishop Curley High School, will be offered at 10 a.m. tomorrow at St. Dominic's Roman Catholic Church, Harford Road and Gibbons Avenue.


Mrs. Dohony, who was 60 and lived on Bayonne Avenue, died Saturday at University of Maryland Medical Center after a stroke.

She had worked at the high school for 16 years.

The former Mary Catherine Kelly was a native of Washington and a graduate of Trinity College there. She came to Baltimore in 1957.

Vice president of the St. Dominic's school board, she was also a member of the Secular Franciscan Order and a lector at St. Dominic's Church.

Her husband, Jack Dohony, is a retired head of the cord shop department at the old Western Electric Co. and a real estate agent for Caldwell Banker.

In addition to her husband, her survivors include six sons, John J. Dohony III of Chesapeake Beach, Daniel P. Dohony of Pittsburgh, Kevin N. Dohony of White Hall, Joseph P. Dohony of Cockeysville and James M. and Robert L. Dohony, both of Baltimore; a brother, Joseph M. Kelly of Holden, Mass.; a sister, Anna K. Saunders of Bridgeport, Conn.; and 10 grandchildren.


A Mass of Christian burial for Edgar J. DeMoss, retireexecutive vicepresident of the Municipal Savings and Loan Association, will be offered at 10 a.m. tomorrow at Immaculate Conception Roman Catholic Church in Towson.

Mr. DeMoss, who was 80 and lived on Swarthmore Drive in Towson, died Sunday at St. Joseph Hospital of complications to surgery.

He retired in 1978 after being associated with the savings and loan association in Towson since 1965.

In 1958, he began serving in a series of Baltimore County posts. He worked until 1961 as administrative assistant to Christian H. Kahl, then the county executive; then from 1961 until 1962, as Register of Wills; and finally, serving as administrative assistant to the county administrative officer.

For 20 years before that, he had been manager of Schnaufer's Department Store in Towson. Born in Fork, he was a graduate of Towson High School.

A life member of the Towson Lodge of the Elks, he also belonged to the Executive Committee, a Towson business men's group.


His wife, the former Margaret Myers, died last October.

He is survived by two daughters, Janet D. Lyons of Lutherville and Joan D. Bodie of Cockeysville; a brother, Leonard W. DeMoss of Cockeysville; five grandchildren; and a great-grandson.

G. H. Cummings

Chef, music composer

Glenford H. Cummings, a composer of electronic music and chef, died Sunday at Stella Maris Hospice after a long illness.

Mr. Cummings, who was 40 and lived in Baltimore, had been chief chef for for the past three years for A Moveable Feast, a food delivery service for those confined to their homes with acquired immune deficiency syndrome.


For a year before that, he managed the Kids' Diner and he had earlier served as chef for the Omega Institute of Holistic Studies in the Catskill Mountains in the summer. A specialist in gourmet macrobiotic foods, he also had been a caterer.

Born in Baltimore, he was an honors graduate of the Polytechnic Institute who studied architecture at Cornell University and was a graduate of the Peabody Institute. A baritone, he sang with several church choirs and with the New Wave Singers. He was a member of the Madison Avenue Presbyterian Church.

He is survived by his parents, Richard H. and Jeanne Cummings, both of Baltimore; a sister, Linda J. Cummings, of Baltimore; and a brother, Richard H. Cummings Jr., of Camden, N.J.

Laura Hurka


A Mass of Christian burial for Laura Hurka, a secretary in the office of the Baltimore County Liquor Board, was offered yesterday at the Roman Catholic Cathedral of Mary Our Queen.


Ms. Hurka, who was 28, died unexpectedly July 9 at home on Silverton Court in Cockeysville.

She worked for the Liquor Board for more than five years.

The daughter of Rosita Hurka and the late Frank Philip Hurka, she was born in Fairfax, Va., and reared in Homeland.

A graduate of the Cathedral School and the Notre Dame 'D Preparatory School, she studied gymnastics at Gerstung.

In addition to her mother, who lives in Rodgers Forge, survivors include a son, Phillip Allen of Cockeysville; four sisters, Lisa Covington of Rodgers Forge, Leslie Goldsmith of Baltimore, Linda Hurka of Stoneleigh and Leigh Ann Hurka of Hillendale; a brother, David Hurka of Baltimore; and a grandmother, Fortuna Cangelosi of Baltimore.