Two suspects in Overlea case are denied bail


One of the two Baltimore County men arrested in the abduction of an Overlea family, the rape of one of the women and the robbery of a bank where the mother worked was on parole after serving time in prison for burglary convictions, according to authorities.

The other suspect had been convicted of several theft and handgun charges over the last eight years.

Both men were ordered held without bail yesterday by Baltimore County District Court Judge A. Gordon Boone Jr. after a hearing in Towson.

Ricky Andrew Bailey, who was arrested on his bicycle Thursday night, had been on parole since March 28, 1990, after serving a prison sentence for two 1986 burglary charges.

Bailey, 29, also was convicted of daytime housebreaking in 1980 and paroled in 1981, said county prosecutor Scott D. Shellenberger.

That same year, he was imprisoned in Vermont for an assault and battery conviction, Mr. Shellenberger said.

Originally from Massachusetts, Bailey is unemployed and has lived for a year in the 1900 block of Haselmere Road in Dundalk with a girlfriend and her brother and sister.

The other suspect, David Wayne Hall, 29, was convicted of theft and drug distribution in 1983 and received a three-year sentence, Mr. Shellenberger said. In 1987 and again in 1990, he was convicted of handgun violations, court officials said.

Bailey, who appeared shirtless at the hearing, told Judge Boone he wished to remain silent.

But Hall, 29, who is unemployed and has been living in the 7800 block of Oakdale Avenue in Rosedale with his wife and two children, said he wanted out of jail.

"I'd just like to say that I'd like to get out and work with this situation," he said, explaining that he wanted time to hire a private attorney. "I don't come from a poor family," he said. Both men are charged with rape, kidnapping, bank robbery and burglary in the case.

Late Monday night, two men entered the Overlea family's home and held captive a 44-year-old woman and her two daughters, ages 16 and 20, for more than eight hours before releasing them on Belair Road just inside the Beltway.

According to court documents, the men had called each other "Rick" and "Joe" in front of their victims. They made sandwiches and coffee, watched television and rode on an exercise bike while in the home.

They also stole jewelry and money, but returned one ring when the mother said it had been given to her by a grandmother.

The two men also raped the 20-year-old woman.

The two assailants left the house about 5 a.m. Tuesday, drove around Overlea, then stopped in the parking lot of a fast-food restaurant on Belair Road where one man remained with the two daughters.

The other man took the mother to the Sequoia Federal Savings Bank branch where she worked, about a block away, and forced her to help him rob cash drawers of $4,399 in cash and about $14,000 in traveler's checks, the court documents state.

A 30-member county and federal task force was working on the case, and police said they received about 150 tips. One caller identified Hall from one of the sketches, according to E. Jay Miller, county police spokesman.

In addition, a teller at the bank told police that she remembered seeing a dark pickup truck at the bank about a week before the robbery.

The men had acted strangely, she said, so she wrote down truck's license tag number.

It matched the tag number of the truck Hall was driving when arrested, police said.

Sgt. Stephen R. Doarnberger, a county police spokesman, said officers who searched the men's homes did not find the revolver or knife allegedly used in the crime, but did find "some evidence that linked them to the crime."

Copyright © 2020, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad