WOMEN ENDURE 8 HOURS OF TERROR 3 are abducted. One is forced to open bank for robbery; another is raped.


An Overlea bank employee and her two daughters were abducted, robbed and held for almost eight hours overnight by two men who finally fled after forcing the woman to help them open and rob a Baltimore County bank branch early today, police said.

One of the woman's daughters was raped in the course of the crimes, police said.

County police spokesman Sgt. Stephen R. Doarnberger said police believe the suspects victimized the older woman, an employee of the Sequoia Federal Savings Bank office at 8030 Belair Road, because of her access to the bank.

"At this point it looks like they were targeted," he said.

An undisclosed amount of cash was taken from the bank.

None of the victims' names or addresses were released because of the sexual assault. The rape victim was taken to the Greater Baltimore Medical Center, where she was treated and released. The other two women were uninjured, and assisted police in the investigation, Doarnberger said.

The suspects were still being sought today. Both were described as white males, last seen wearing blue plaid shirts and blue baseball caps, Doarnberger said.

One of the two was described as being short, about 20 years old, with blond hair and a big nose. The second was about 25 years old, with a thin face and a sparse beard.

Doarnberger said the abduction and robbery began about 11:30 last night when the two suspects forced their way into the older woman's Overlea home. One of the men had a handgun.

As the woman and her 16-year-old daughter were being tied up, police said, the woman's 20-year-old daughter arrived at the house. "She was sexually assaulted . . . raped," Doarnberger said.

The suspects and their victims apparently spent some time at the house, during which several pieces of jewelry and other personal items were stolen, police said.

Eventually, the three women and the two suspects all got into the mother's car and began driving around.

Sometime early this morning, Doarnberger said, one of the suspects and the woman's two daughters were dropped off at a fast-food restaurant two blocks from the bank, where they waited in the parking lot.

The second suspect and the older woman then went to the bank, which they entered with a key.

After taking money from the bank, the suspect and the woman drove back to the restaurant, where they picked up the second suspect and the woman's daughters.

"The suspects then demanded to be dropped off, we think in the area of Belair Road and Fullerton Avenue," Doarnberger said. The men fled, but the women did not see whether the men entered a car there.

The women then drove back to the bank and called police at 7:24 a.m.

Investigators with the county police and the Federal Bureau of Investigation were questioning the victims today. The bank was temporarily closed.

FBI spokesman Jim Dearborn said agents would review the bank's security camera tapes from the past week to see if anyone matching the suspects' description had entered the bank.

Copyright © 2020, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad