THE WORD camp used to bring thoughts of dread -- memories of weeks without real food and Popsicle-stick art. That stereotype no longer fits.
There are many types of camps around: museum art programs, backpacking, leadership training, bicycling and more. Day camps with varying hours that fit a parent's schedule offer alternatives to traditional overnight camps.
Before the long summer prompts whines of "I'm bored" from the youngsters, parents can consider several camps in the area that are still accepting enrollments. Call first to check availability; programs fill up quickly. Among the programs available are the following:
*The Open Door. This day camp for children ages 5 to 10 has locations throughout the city, Baltimore County and Anne Arundel County. The program runs in two-week sessions until Aug. 30. The hours are 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday. The program costs $140 for each two-week session, and discounts are available for families with more than one child participating. The themes vary from session to session. For more information call 666-0320.
* The Maryland Science Center is sponsoring a summer camp at Towson State University. Preschool to sixth-grade children can participate in
hands-on activities. The camp has two sessions -- July 8 to 19 and July 22 to Aug. 2, with morning and afternoon classes. The cost is $96; museum members receive a discount. Reservations are needed. Call 685-2370, Ext. 362.
* For students ages 10 to 17 who want to learn the art of shooting basketballs, the Buzz Braman Basketball Camp offers to help improve skills. Only a few spots remained open late last week for the week-long sessions taught by Buzzy Braman, the shooting coach for the Philadelphia 76ers. The camp has morning and afternoon sessions coming up at Arundel High in Anne Arundel County, July 15-19, and Good Counsel in Wheaton, July 22-26. For more information and fees, call
730-1580 or, in Anne Arundel, (301) 596-4049.
* The Gilman School on Roland Avenue in Baltimore has a day camp and a kiddie camp. The camps run until Aug. 2. The cost: $195 for the day camp, ages 6 to 11; $160 for the kiddie camp, ages 4 and 5. The hours for the day camp are 9 a.m. to 3:45 p.m.; for the kiddie camp, 9 a.m. to noon. The school is also offering a boys basketball clinic from 1 p.m to 4 p.m, today through July 12. For information and reservations call 323-3800.
* The Carrie Murray Wilderness Camp has programs for children and adults. It offer two day camps for children of various ages, and programs in
cluding backpacking/caving, water adventure, bicycling, leadership training, teen challenge, climbing, rappeling. Prices vary. Call 396-0808.
* The Children's Arts Summer Theatre teaches acting, music, costume, dance and leadership skills to children ages 6 to 12. From July 22 to Aug. 16 at the Hannah More School in Reisterstown, children may participate in two- or four-week sessions. The cost is $100 a week. For reservations call 358-0827.
* Anne Arundel County Recreation and Parks offers a variety of programs at more than 70 locations in the county. For specific programs in your area, call 222-3600.