J. Lee LaneRetired home builderJ. Lee Lane,...


J. Lee Lane

Retired home builder

J. Lee Lane, a retired home designer and builder, died June 17 at Howard County General Hospital after a stroke.

Mr. Lane, who was 74 and lived in Fulton, retired in 1959 as head of a home building company in the Bethesda and Chevy Chase areas that bore his name. He then worked for about six years as manager of the Daily Double Bingo Hall in Laurel, which he had built.

He also rebuilt Porsche engines for racing and designed and rebuilt engines for Formula V racers, based on Volkswagens, which he drove. He became associated with Heishman-BMW Inc. and Heishman Porsche-Audi Inc., both in Arlington, Va.

Born in Washington and a graduate of the Western High School there, he worked as a draftsman for the B. F. Saul Co. in 1934, later designing homes and a Washington restaurant for the company.

During World War II, he was a contractor for the Army Corps of Engineers, building an air base in Port-of-Spain, Trinidad.

Since 1980, he had been active in alcoholism therapy programs in Howard County and in Laurel. A member of Alcoholics Anonymous, he was a volunteer at the detoxification unit at the Laurel-Beltsville Hospital and was a member of the board of Reality Inc., a halfway house for recovering alcoholics and drug addicts, for which he also supervised building renovations.

He is survived by his wife, the former Winifred J. Scott; two sons, Michael Lane of Baltimore and John Lane of Fulton; four daughters, Julia McCahill of Annapolis, Mary McCahill of Columbia, Therese Klaschus of Laurel, and Sharon Lane of Laurel; 14 grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.

A Mass of Christian burial for Mr. Lane was offered June 19 at St. Louis Roman Catholic Church in Clarksville.

J. Clayton Taylor Jr.


Services for J. Clayton Taylor Jr., a retired plumber, will be held at 11 a.m. tomorrow at the Messiah United Church of Christ, 5615 The Alameda.

Mr. Taylor, who was 81 and lived in the Charlesgate Apartments, died Thursday at St. Joseph Hospital after a long illness.

He retired in 1974 from Frank J. Klein & Co., a plumbing company for which he worked for many years.

The Baltimore native, a graduate of the Polytechnic Institute, had been a draftsman for a steel company and a postal worker before World War II, when he worked at the Glenn L. Martin plant in Middle River, heading the mail room.

A former master of the Lafayette Lodge of the Masons, he also belonged to the York Rite and Boumi Temple, where he was active in the Knights of Mecca and the Boosters.

His first wife, the former Florence Losch, died in 1970.

He is survived by his wife, the former Ruth Harn Kooken; two daughters, Thelma T. Hurst of Arnold and Elaine T. Swetnam of Colleyville, Texas.; two stepsons, Daniel G. Kooken of Virginia Beach and Jac Ttanna of Marina Del Rey, Calif.; three grandchildren; five step-grandchildren; and a great-granddaughter.

Laurence Lingg Sr.

Former Sun employee

A Mass of Christian burial for Laurence Vincent Lingg Sr., a RTC retired employee of The Baltimore Sun, will be offered at 10 a.m. today at St. Rose of Lima Church, 3803 Fourth St., Brooklyn.

Mr. Lingg, who was 84, died Friday of cancer at St. Agnes Hospital.

He was born just outside of Hanover, Pa., and moved to Baltimore after finishing high school.

He retired in 1972, after working at The Baltimore Sun 37 years, overseeing payroll for drivers of newspaper delivery trucks.

Mr. Lingg, a member of the Knights of Columbus, enjoyed Orioles games, Notre Dame football and traveling, particularly to the South.

He is survived by his wife, the former Marie Connor; two daughters, Mary Louise Nugent of Ellicott City and Rose Marie Froeman of Eustis, Fla.; and 10 grandchildren.

Anna V. Knecht

Factory seamstress

Anna Virginia Knecht, a retired sewing machine operator in clothing factories, died June 12 at the Meridian Nursing Center-Catonsville after a long illness. She was 98.

Mrs. Knecht retired at age 70, shortly after the death of her husband, Louis A. Knecht.

She worked for more than 35 years.

For many years she lived on Knecht Avenue in Arbutus, named for her father-in-law who owned property in the area.

The former Anna Virginia Patrow was a native of Russia who joined relatives in Baltimore while in her teens.

She is survived by two daughters, Gladys Robinson of Baltimore and Cecilia Wade of Arbutus; six grandchildren; 16 great-grandchildren; and four great-great-grandchildren.

A Mass of Christian burial was offered for Mrs. Knecht on June 15 at St. Benedict's Roman Catholic Church.

Samuel B. Marmer

Owned menswear store

Services for Samuel B. Marmer, a retired men's clothing store owner, will be held tomorrow at 11 a.m. at Sol Levinson & Bros. funeral establishment, 6010 Reisterstown Road.

Mr. Marmer, who was 102 and lived at the Levindale Hebrew Geriatric Center and Hospital, died Saturday of kidney failure at Sinai Hospital.

Mr. Marmer owned and operated Mart's Menswear in Hampden until his retirement about 30 years ago.

A native of England who came to Baltimore as a teen-ager, he served in the U.S. Army during World War I.

He was a member of the American Legion, the Masons and the Tuesday Club, a men's business and professional group.

Mr. Marmer enjoyed memorizing and reciting poetry. Even at 100 years old, he recited long poems at the nursing home without a hitch.

His wife of some 40 years, the former Sadie Rubinstein, died in the early 1980s.

Mr. Marmer is survived by four sisters, Mildred Marmer, Sara Eliason and Marian Fox, all of Baltimore, and Minna Phillip of Annapolis; and seven nieces and nephews.

Frances A. Yanka


A Mass of Christian burial for Frances A. Yanka, a homemaker who lived nearly a century in Polish neighborhoods in East Baltimore, will be offered at 11 a.m. tomorrow at St. Stanislaus Roman Catholic Church, 700 S. Ann St.

Mrs. Yanka, who was 96, died Thursday in Newark, Del., of complications resulting from a cerebral hemorrhage. She had been staying in Newark with a niece for two months.

The former Frances A. Kopera had spent much of her time at St. Stanislaus, praying the rosary, singing in the church choir and helping out with church events.

She was baptized at the church in 1895, married Adam Yanka there in 1916 and will be buried at a family plot in the church's cemetery. Mr. Yanka died in 1961.

Mrs. Yanka enjoyed crocheting, knitting and caring for stray animals. She was a member of the Polish Women's Alliance and the American Legion.

She took her first plane ride in May, when a niece, June Meredith Costin, talked her into flying to Melbourne, Fla., to celebrate her 96th birthday.

Mrs. Yanka is survived by Ms. Costin of Newark, Del., and two other nieces, Eleanor Raab of Baltimore and Eurana Dockery of Deltona, Fla.

The family suggested donations to St. Stanislaus Church, 700 S. Ann St., Baltimore 21231.

Howard Nemerov

Poet laureate

Pulitzer Prize winning poet Howard Nemerov, poet laureate of the United States from 1988 to 1990, has died of cancer, a spokesman said. He was 71.

Mr. Nemerov died Friday night at his home, said Washington University vice chancellor Fred Volkmann. In 1990, he returned to Washington University, where he had taught since 1969.

His poetry ranged from the profound and poignant to the comic. Among his 26 books were five novels. He won a Pulitzer and the National Book Award in 1978 for his "Collected Works."

As poet laureate, Mr. Nemerov wrote verses commemorating the 200th anniversary of Congress and the launch of the space shuttle Atlantis. He was the third man to hold the position, which was established by Congress in 1985.

In 1987, Mr. Nemerov was one of 10 Americans awarded the National Medal of the Arts.

Among his collections are "Image and the Law," "Guide to the Ruins" and "Mirrors and Windows."

Mr. Nemerov's 1957 novel "The Homecoming Game" was made into the movie "Tall Story." He grew up in New York City, the son of a prosperous businessman. He graduated from Harvard in 1941 and immediately joined the Royal Canadian Air Force. As a Canadian and later an American pilot, he flew more than 100 combat missions in World War II.

After the war, Mr. Nemerov taught at Hamilton College, Bennington College, the University of Minnesota, Hollins College and Brandeis University before joining the faculty of Washington University.

He is survived by his wife, Peggy, and three sons.

Copyright © 2020, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad