Man, 40, found dead in his bathtub Concerned neighbor called police.


A 40-year-old East Baltimore man was found dead in the bathtub of his second-floor apartment in the 2400 block of E. Monument St. today after his downstairs neighbor had not seen him for more than a day.

Larry D. Smith, who is the father of three young girls who did not live with him, worked a day job in a factory and an evening job as a janitor. He was found fully clothed, with his hands and feet tied, by an occupant of the first floor.

The first-floor occupant told police he saw the victim Wednesday but did not see him yesterday though he called to him from downstairs and did not hear an answer. When the first-floor occupant did not hear his neighbor get up for work this morning, he went upstairs, found the apartment door ajar and called police.

Investigators said the front room of the victim's apartment showed extensive signs of a struggle and was blood-spattered.

Neighbors said the victim had been living at that address for five to six years and was known as a hard worker who was seldom seen during the week because of his two jobs. On the weekends, neighbors often saw the victim sitting on marble steps in front of the building drinking beer with friends.

The sight of police and the medical examiner's vehicle attracted a large crowd just east of Johns Hopkins Hospital. The body was removed at about 9:50 a.m., after police had received a call at 7:20 a.m.

Sgt. Gary Childs said the investigation is continuing. Childs said there are no suspects at this time.

In a separate incident, an unidentified man believed to be a drug dealer from New York was shot and killed during an apparent exchange of gunfire in the 600 block of N. Mount St. at about 9:45 last night.

The victim, who received multiple gunshot wounds of the chest and abdomen, died at University Hospital in Baltimore at 11:09 p.m.

Police had been called to the scene for a shooting and found the victim lying on a set of steps in the 700 block of N. Mount St.

Police said they questioned witnesses who did not know the man's identity but said he was known in the area as a drug dealer who regularly carried a handgun.

No gun was found, but witnesses said a man wearing a white tank top and limping was seen leaving the scene of the shooting about 15 minutes later.

Copyright © 2020, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad