Howard firefighter jailed on rape chargesA Howard...


Howard firefighter jailed on rape charges

A Howard County volunteer firefighter was charged yesterday with second-degree rape and assault in connection with an attack on an Olney woman Monday in Maryland City, Anne Arundel County police said yesterday.

James Scott Botshen, 28, was arrested an hour after the attack while he was taking a shower in the Savage firehouse where he lived, said V. Richard Molloy, a spokesman for the Anne Arundel County police.

Mr. Botshen was detained yesterday at the Anne Arundel county jail in lieu of $125,000 bond.

The 22-year-old victim met her attacker at a convenience store on Route 198 in Maryland City and agreed to accompany him to a local bar to have a beer, Officer Molloy said. Instead, the man drove his Ford pick-up truck on Route 198 and parked behind a vacant building near the Baltimore-Washington Parkway, where he assaulted and raped the woman shortly after 5 p.m. Monday, Officer Molloy said.

The woman fled from the pick-up truck after the assault and went to the front of the building, where she flagged down a motorist. The motorist recorded the license number of the pick-up truck as it drove away, and police said they used it to track down Mr. Botshen, a lieutenant with the volunteer fire company.

The victim was treated at North Arundel Hospital and released.

Alcohol eliminated as factor in drowning


The state medical examiner's office has ruled out alcohol as a factor in the drowning last week of an 18-year-old South Carroll High School graduate during an illegal late-night swim with friends in Liberty Reservoir.

Paul Sumpter Marcum of Mount Airy had "a very, very small amount . . . a trace" of alcohol in his body, said Dr. Margarita Korell, an assistant medical examiner. She said there were no other apparent injuries.

Divers recovered the youth's body early Tuesday, about an hour after he disappeared while swimming near the Morgan Run Bridge on Route 32, north of Sykesville.

His father, Kenneth Jerry Marcum, said that the youth was a good swimmer but might have been hampered by a knee problem.

Man cuts self on debris, dies in ruined bathroom


An East Baltimore man who destroyed much of a bathroom he had barricaded himself into yesterday bled to death after cutting himself with some of the debris, homicide detectives said.

David Benjamin Whitfield, 37, of the 4400 block of Clare Way was found dead in a house in the 1600 block of North Durham Street, where he had been visiting friends. Police believe the cutting was accidental.

Police in the Eastern District received complaints shortly before 2 a.m. that someone had barricaded himself in the house. When officers arrived, Mr. Whitfield ran upstairs and locked himself in the bathroom, where he began breaking up the porcelain and a toilet and throwing pieces out the window, Police Sgt. Edward Adelhardt of the homicide unit said.

Police forced their way into the bathroom and found Mr. Whitfield the floor, bleeding from several deep cuts on his right wrist. Officers believe that Mr. Whitfield was under the influence of drugs at the time.

School board choice disregarded by Schaefer


Refusing to follow recommendations of the Baltimore County School Board Nominating Convention, Gov. William Donald Schaefer reappointed one incumbent and replaced another yesterday.

Ronald L. Jacoby, an administrator for the Maryland Department of Housing and Community Development, will represent the Essex area on the school board for another five-year term. But at-large board member Gwendolyn B. Tisdale was replaced by Georgia H. Baublitz, a retired Baltimore County teacher from Owings Mills. Ms. Baublitz, who taught social studies and English in the county's secondary schools for 26 years before her retirement two years ago, said she was surprised by her appointment.

The nominating group recommended reappointment of both Mr. Jacoby and Ms. Tisdale.

Copyright © 2020, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad